Moen Jimi Zero

Discussion in 'Effects' started by plankton, Aug 16, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've always like the Univibe sound, even though it's not something I would use a lot. Even when looking at famous users of the original only three names seem to come up, and Gilmour and Hendrix didn't use one much, mostly because David moved on to other types of modulation and Jimi simply moved on.

But I digress, I had a tremolo pedal on my board that wasn't getting much use, so I figured why not. I wasn't about to drop a heap of cash on one of the many expensive recreations out there since I'm not sure how much I'd use it. So a cheap Chinese copy was the go.

Researching online I found that many people are quite happy with the Shaky Jimi pedal from Moen, even though it did seem to have a few shortcomings. Digging deeper I found the Jimi Zero (and there's also the Jimi Nova) also from Moen, which is a smaller version of the Shaky and also seemed to address some of the common issues with it's bigger brother.

I found a few videos of the Zero and it seemed decent. I already liked the smaller size (standard stompbox dimensions) and I found that this one had an LED that flashed along with the rate setting, which the Shaky doesn't. Moen also claimed that the Zero addressed some of the other "issues" with the Shaky. So I found one on ebay and went for it.

It arrived from the US today and initial impressions are good. I got a feel for the different controls and was able to dial in a few pretty nice ones. It has a rate and depth control which are fairly self-explanatory, and also a "bias" knob which acts as a tone control and a push button to switch between chorus and vibrato mode. A quirk this pedal has inherited from the Shaky is that Moen seem to have mislabeled the two modes, the chorus sounds like the traditional Univibe vibrato mode and vice-versa. So I've found that I prefer the vibrato setting on this one, a nice lush swooshy throb. The bias control is very handy for tuning the tone when using different fuzz pedals.

I also spent some time playing around with where it would sit in my pedal chain. Seems like near the end before going into a booster and then dirty amp sounds best. All of my fuzzes sound better being in front of it, same with the wah and octave pedal.

Now I need to start working on "The Star Spangled Banner" :bowdown:

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Not my video, but gives a good idea of what it does.

Didds likes this.