Music theory gurus! I am in need of aid!

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Metal89, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

I've got Howlin Wolf's biography. He actually started taking music classes long after he was a successful artist. He'd been playing 20-30 years by that point.

:D

eS.G., frankd and Kerry Brown like this.
  2. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

I would like to read Wolfs bio myself. reading on Pagey right now. Not dogging theory
    or proper learning of anything just saying as ALI once said when it comes to Champions in life boxing
    or any other art skill {THE WILL MUST OUTWEIGH THE SKILL}
    And those vids were just making a point on how complex just picking alone can be or get its all
    up to the individual and how deep they do or don't want to delve.

3. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

"From everything take what is useful; discard the rest"
    And even that may change as your perspective changes on this road.
    I know mine has / is / does.

4. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

It's a great book! Moanin' at Midnight is the name.

His guitar player Hubert Sumlin has a book out too. I gotta signed copy! Awesome book.

eS.G. likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

My theory ---play more guitar. lol

Sp8ctre likes this.
  6. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

@Westernrider: Thanks for taking the time to post these links. I can really use these resources!

7. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Hey Goldmember,

The bottom book, the one in the Amazon link, covers basic fret board layout, chords and moveable chords, progressions, examples of chord melody parts, and moveable scales. It looks like a simple beginners book at first. Start going thorough it page by page and following directions. It will take some time and effort.

It just isn't a metal book. The author shows one progression and names several songs that use it. You play it a few times and ask yourself - what happens if I move the chords up a few frets? Then you make the move. Your SG should be tuned and ready. Now, you have the main chords to War Pigs.

Side Note
    The first Metallica album has lots of Pentatonics. They are your friend and have many colors and moods. You take the minor or blues sale and move it three frets and you now have a major scale.

Seriously, over the years, I have tried to learn how to use the cycle of fifths. Mostly, it was an incomprehensible mess to me. The author laid out the cycle of fifths. This was the instant the cycle and more complex chord progressions fell in place. It helped me tremendously - ear training, figuring out song structure, and improvising.

The book helped me conquer Disraeli Gears by Cream and parts of the first Experience album - just for fun - listen to Hey Joe and follow the chords and Lemon Song by Zep. These songs aren't metal and there is a whole world of music waiting for you.

Saints and sinners, there are better songs, these are just great tunes to play.

What will it do for you?
    Really hope the book helps you.

Goldmember likes this.
  8. jjudas

jjudas Well-Known Member

Hey, I'm struggling with the same stuff. I play by ear, I had minimal lessons years ago. I play metal. I keep watching YouTube videos and practicing scales and improvising.

9. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

I was going to say something, but Kerry said it all :) The chord numbering system he is referring to is called the Nashville Numbers system, very useful to learn if you're ever going to go out jamming, or maybe auditioning or depping.

They key of the song - yeah, it's all a bit of a feel based thing, there are actually no hard and fast rules because music isn't like that. The key, chord number 1, is what other chords want to resolve to, especially at the end. It's also extremely common in the rock/blues axis to start on chord 1 too. You could try learning diatonic harmony, this will tell you what key you're in by the flavour (major, minor etc) of the chords that are being played, but I reckon in metal there's going to be a lot of non-diatonic stuff.

eS.G. likes this.
  10. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Speaking of the Nashville Numbers,
    This came up in my YouTube feed a few weeks ago.

Scott's not for everyone, he can be abrasive, but he knows his ish.

11. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Why is he calling this Nashville Numbers. This is absolutely standard interval numbering. I'm pretty sure it was used before Nashville was a twinkle in its mummy's eye.

12. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

You are correct. The Nashville numbering system derives directly from the standard interval numbering. It doesn't change that. The Nashville numbering system adds a few shorthand symbols.

Here is a pretty good description.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashville_number_system

13. Robert Herndon

Robert Herndon Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure I am retarded...I just play what sounds good...

Sp8ctre likes this.
  14. AlpineWhite

AlpineWhite New Member

Check this guy out on youtube. JustNickMusic Start with this video of his....it helped me alot and made it alot more fun to sit in with others and jam. After watching this video, I could sit there and find the key and the changes with my volume down, then turn it up and add some notes in time and on key.....Let me know if it helps

15. bobbiehart2013

bobbiehart2013 Member

I was in your shoes and I bought the book, HOW TO READ MUSIC Fundamentals of Music Notation Made Easy by Roger Evans among others. I love the theory end of music as much as anything else. Unless you were born with the natural musical talent of Mick Taylor I would highly recommend learning the theory. It opens up a whole new world of peasure in my opinion.

16. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

That's why I usually prefer to play with keys rather than a second guitarist. Keyboard players tend to have some training/knowledge. Whatever music you're playing, it's so nice to be able to communicate in words or hand gestures what to do and have it happen. I've slogged through rehearsals with guitarists where you have to show them everything. Even then it takes a long time, because without knowing what you're doing and why, it's hard to remember, so you just do it again, and again, and again….

Old Joke: How do you get a guitar player to shut up? Put sheet music in front of him. How do you get a piano player to shut up? Take his sheet music away.

P

17. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

I took Music Theory 101 at Berkley School of Music and I understand a lot of it...I know the Circle of Fiths (and Fourths) and I can read the notes in a song book. I understand the chord progressions and all the Major, Minor, 5th, 7th, Suspended...etc...

However it has not helped me one bit when trying to translate what I learned from a book on paper to the guitar when I sit and play it. I have yet to be able to figure out what key a song is in by listening to it. I can't figure out where to move my notes to change key or any such thing. I still play by using TAB almost exclusively.

It is very daunting to sit through 12 weeks of a class and still not be able to transcribe what you learned to the actual instrument you play. It almost made me want to give up...

18. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

"I am as dumb as a screen door on a submarine"...never heard that one but just love it! And if they have a screen door, hopefully no one will leave it open :facepalm: