MXR Dyna Comp

Discussion in 'Effects' started by alazary, Dec 28, 2004.

1. alazary

alazary Member

What do you guys think of this red monster? anyone tried it, or have one lying around?

2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

It's a great sounding compressor! But so is the Orange Squeeser, Keeley mods, Barber tone press, Ross, Analogman Bi-comprossor.....to mention some of my favorites!

3. paradox

paradox Active Member

I am a complainer, I bought one but sent it back, its vintage sounding, but I didn't think it had much adjustment. I'm looking for one with separate attack and sustain controls (and of course level), you don't get that on the dynacomp, you get only 2 knobs, level and the sensitivity (I think). MXR also has a three knob one (forget the name). I'm gonna try that one.

4. Voxman

5. alazary

alazary Member

thanks for your input guys

the three knob compresser is the super comp, paradox but i think the dyna comp got better ratings.
    and i like MXR cause they nice n simple, my distortion + has 2 knobs and its get the job done nicely :)

6. paradox

paradox Active Member

I have a 20+ year old MXR Distortion + and won't part with it. For some reason after spending about two days with the Dyna Comp I just couldn't get a vibe with it. I think that's because you have no control over the attack. I'd just like to roll off some of the initial click. Like I said, I'm a complainer, so back it went. However, alazary it might have the sound you're looking for.

Those analog man pedals with adjustable attack could be for me, the price is up there, but I need to listen to the samples and see. I'm also still waiting to check out that Route 66 pedal when I can play one, but I don't think it has an attack control either (and probably not enough gain on the od either, but charlieb has given some pretty good tips here, so I'm gonna try one when I can find one). I'm still planing on buying a compressor and a little more versatile distortion pedal, but for now the search continues...

7. alazary

alazary Member

i'll suggest the MXR super comp (i think it's more versatile for your needs) and hmmm look at some good ol' boss distortion pedals, they got a lot. my old one was a metal zone, but it was too much to deal with for me.

8. paradox

paradox Active Member

I also saw this Visual Sound Jekyll/Hide pedal that looks pretty cool (same mfg as the Route 66), it has two different distortions (& two footswitches) and I thought it was pretty cool also. But once again, I haven't seen them at my music stores. I really like to try pedals before I buy instead of doing the mail order thing, but sometimes you just have to take the chance. The wife ordered a digitech Hot Head for me for x-mas, but it was just one of those last minute under $50 quicky gifts (since I spent more on her kinda thing). I was just trying to give her ideas and it showed up. Unfortunately I have relatives here until the 2nd, the house if full and I haven't touched a guitar since the 23rd!!! I'm in withdrawl :!:

9. alazary

alazary Member

damn! hey you want 2 distortions from one box, check out the MXR Double Shot Distortion, or stick with the visual sound, i haven't seen too many 2 in 1 distortions..

10. paradox

paradox Active Member

you know I might be stuck for a while, if the wife doesn't see the Hot Head in the signal chain, I might get some s#@t from her. Hopefully she won't know what the led is and I can just leave it off if it sucks. I don't know why I told her to put it on the list of last minute items. I'll check the thing out and post some results here, you know if its not bad someone looking for $39 pedal might be able to use the info. I always heard, be careful what you wish for.... but I never listen.

Yeah I thought a double pedal would be cool, for doing rythym to lead switching. For amps that don't have some sort of boost it might be real helpful. Maybe I should check the double shot out too, they might actually have that at Georges music.

11. Voxman

There's so many small pedal companies out there now it's mind boggling!
    We've definitely been in a Renaissance of boutique pedals the last couple of years......and as CB proves in past efforts, home building as well.