My 1980 SG R1 Moog Delima....

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by saylorsong, Jan 21, 2009.

1. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

I'm new here, so I'd like to say hello and thank TNT for the greeting.
    I hate to just jump right in with a problem but I found this forum looking for others with a SG R1 Active electronics guitar. I guess this is the precurser to the SG Artist that was a big flop. Hence the limited run of 200 or so. I'm a sucker for unusual guitars and such, so I bought this one. I personally like the idea of the active electronics, but mine came with the moog board included, but not installed. Hopefully I can get the pictures to post and show everyone what I have. I'm not completely ignorant w/ electronics, but I don't want to F this one up so I was wondering if the vast collective knowledge might have the answer to my questions.....

Namely HOW THE @*#% does this wiring harness install....
    First let me mention, Gibson, while helpful was not able to produce a schematic of the moog board, the closest they could come is of one of the Gibson Artist guitars from the late 70's. Not helpful. This is a little different.
    So if there is anyone out there that ownes one or used to own one and remembers how the thing went together it would be priceless to me. All I really need is a picture of the underside of the board so I can see where the pups hook and and the pup selector hook up.

Have a look my friends and any help would be good help....

Attached Files:

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG saylorsong! :) :) :)

Don't worry about just jumping in with a question...... that's what we are about. Sorry I can't answer your question but I'm sure you'll get input on it. And thank you for posting in the right section!

3. Cjays

Cjays Member

saylorsong, I'll take mine apart and take some photos this weekend.

Out of all the research I've done on the R1, I never came across any info on one with that finish and a pick guard. It adds to the intrigue of this mystery SG.

4. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

Here's a few more pics

Attached Files:

5. TNT

TNT Active Member

6. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

Those RD Artist boards are for some reason totally different than the SG boards. I don't know what Gibson was thinking, but they redesigned the SG Artist with a "Treble Booster" instead of the Compression/Sustain switch the other Artist's had. This makes for a totally different circuit board. I called Gibson again today and asked if they could ask around the shop and maybe find an employee from the days they made these. Who knows. "Cjays" has one of these guitars and is going to send me pictures of the underside of the board and the wiring harness, and after that I should be good to go. If I can, I'll post some sound samples of the Active Electronics if anyone is interested.

7. TNT

TNT Active Member

I sent off an e-mail to Moog musical products to see if they could help. Hopefully they will know something.

8. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

Right on.
    Thanks.

It's got to be out there somewhere....

9. straydogger69

straydogger69 New Member

10. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

Yeah, I called them to see if I could get some pictures of their moog board. The kids that worked there were helpful but said the manager wouldn't let them remove remove the board to take a picture of the wiring. Sucks, but hey. I even offered to send them money for a case of beer, but nada...

I doubt they are going to sell that guitar for what they are asking. It's a cool guitar, real unique, but no way are they going to get that much for it. I paid $850 for mine and probably should have paid less. I don't know what it is with me and the unusual guitars...

I also have 1982 or 83 (I forget) Fender "The Strat" another interesting guitar. I'll post a link later, but check them out on the web. They are also called the "Gold Strat" or "Walnut Strat" The latter being the precurser to the "The Strat" series. It has an interesting story. Really cool guitar.

Another is a custom made Michael Dolan out of Santa Rosa. A former Alembic employee who started making his own guitars. It's my main player. Heavy guitar! but plays really well.

Then even my Acoustic is odd. Alvarez Yairi ayl-1 not a lot of info on this one.

I'm sure there are others like me out there, but it's hard to value these guitars. Obviously they are only worth what someone is willing to pay for them. With Standard models there is a lot more information about price to estimate the value or worth of the the guitar. With the odd/limited/discontinued run models it's hard to estimate because the volume of sales just isn't as great. So what can you go by.

11. TNT

TNT Active Member

Welcome to ESG Straydogger69!

Maybe I'll e-mail them and ask for just a shot with the CC cover off. I'll make like I'm interested in buying it.

straydogger69 likes this.
  12. Six String

Welcome to ETSG straydogger69! :) :) :)

straydogger69 likes this.
  13. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

[quote author=TNT link=topic=18615.msg227702#msg227702 date=1232839948]
    Welcome to ESG Straydogger69!

Maybe I'll e-mail them and ask for just a shot with the CC cover off. I'll make like I'm interested in buying it.
    [/quote]

That would be great if they'd do it for you. If they have to relist it they might be willing to take some more pictures of the moog board. That's the part that makes it unique anyhow, right? You're right, a serious buyer would like to know that the board is in good shape and wired correctly. Maybe I'll email and ask that too. It couldn't hurt their sale to have those pictures anyhow. I like to rationalize my devious ways... ;)

14. Cjays

Cjays Member

15. TNT

TNT Active Member

The reply
    Hi Jack.

I have only heard about these active guitar electronics secondhand. I think it's been about thirty years since these boards were made. Now, we're concentrated on our current product line. I would check out online forums and google around for wiring info. There's probably some info out there somewhere.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Good luck.
    Ryan
    Moog Tech Support

16. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

Thanks for forwarding that info. I appreciate everyones input here. I think "Cjays" is going to be the biggest help to me. He has one of these all wired up and is going to take a picture of it when he gets a chance. Since there seems to be no schematic of this perticular board anywhere online , a picture is going to be my best bet. I think I'll do a favor and post hi-res picture somewhere online once I get mine up a running. Maybe even a YouTube video of the whole wiring job.

It would also be interesting to get a running account of everyone that owns one of these guitars....

We have at least two owners here on this forum. And one is for sale on Ebay. So I guess that's about 1.5% of all possible owners. 98.5% to go.

Hey Thanks again TNT! and to everyone that keeps this forum going. I couldn't imagine what it would be like trying to find out information like this without it.

17. Cjays

Cjays Member

Ok saylorsong, here you go. These are high-res photos with labels (file size warning!). Some of the wire colors are faded, so I estimated the color.

http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Circuit_Board_Top.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Circuit_Board_Bottom.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/1-4_Inch_Output.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/2-Way_Toggle.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/9V_Battery_Buttons.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Bridge_Pickup_Volumes.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Pickup_Selector_Toggle.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Neck_Pickup_Volume.jpg
    http://homepage.mac.com/cjays/SG/Overview.jpg

In my research of the R-1 in the past year or so, I can account for 12 of them.

- Mine
    - saylorsong's
    - Five others who contacted me through my website
    - A dude from France I met on Myspace
    - This one from Elderly Electronics: http://www.elderly.com/items/30U-12038.htm
    - Another one sold by a place in England that I can't find a reference for.
    - The one from ebay shown above
    - Another one from eBay I saw a few months ago (which was gutted and had its electronics replaced)

SG-R1 likes this.
  18. saylorsong

saylorsong New Member

OH SWEET MERCY I see the light!
    My next child will be named Cjays, in your honor.

Thank you sir, if I make it to Mansfield OH this year I would love to come up to Cleveland and buy you all the beer you can drink.

I really do appreciate the time it took to disassamble then reassemble your guitar. We've all lived with the Internet for so long, but yet it still astounds me how much obscure information we can find.

This is a great forum. It would be fun to track down and discover the fate of the other 188 +/- SG R1/Artist guitars.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Cjays, for all the information and support.

I'll stay in touch and post again, hopefully with a completed guitar.
    I've got some work to do :dance:

19. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

I have one of these too. Mine had some custom cross inlays put in before I got it. I put in a Duncan and have it wired to 1 volume pot. I still have the original pick up and left all the electronics inside and in tact. All I have to do is pull out the Duncan and volume pot and re-solder the electronics to the jack and it's back to original. Here are some pics.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JohnnySG and dbb like this.
  20. Six String

Welcome to ETSG sk8erps! :) :) :)