My 1980 SG R1 Moog Delima....

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by saylorsong, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Cjays

Cjays Member

Nice sk8erps. :coolsmiley: You're lucky 13 in my search.

2. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

Always good to be lucky 13 ;D I've had this SG for 9 years now. I paid $500 for it. I could never find any info about what it was exactly until I found this site. I took it to 5 shops and was told by all 5 they didn't know exactly what it was. Glad I stumbled upon this forum.

3. barbas23

barbas23 Active Member

welcome to ETSG sk8erps !

4. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

Thanks Barbas. This is a cool forum.

5. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

Does anyone know what model the pickups are in these guitars? Do they work without the Moog board?

6. TNT

TNT Active Member

Welcome Sk8erps. The pickups should be able to work without the circuit board.

7. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

They do work fine and they sound great. Very clean with lots of round bottom end and good attack. Still not exactly sure what they are. Should I assume the neck and bridge pickups are the same?

8. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

I hooked the original pickups and the moog board back up. One of the wires from the neck pickup came loose from the clip that hooks to the board. There is a pic in this thread of the interior which is exactly like mine. My question is, how do I hook the wire back into the clip or where can I get a new one?

9. TNT

TNT Active Member

Do you have a pic of the board?

10. sk8erps

sk8erps New Member

Yup, I do. It's the clips or plugs that are on the end of the pickup wire that plugs into the board that I'm looking for info about.
    [​IMG]

JohnnySG likes this.
  11. TNT

TNT Active Member

I would go to Frye Electronics or maybe Radio Shack to get the plug.

12. DayJob

DayJob New Member

I have one with missing Pots

I have had a SG-R1 for about 10 years now and I have only used used it with straight pickups. I have the board and the full harness but when I bought the guitar, someone had taken it apart and removed the two big pots off the Circuit board. I would really like to pit the active electronics in but I have searched everywhere including calling Gibson and I can't get a schematic with the values for R17 and R20. If anyone is still around here I would really appreciate if someone could look under the pots and read the values or part numbers that should be stamped into the bottom or the sides of the metalk can.

Thanks.

13. StuR

StuR New Member

It might have been a shop called Reidy's in Blackburn, Lancs. (it still exists under the same owner)
    A guy I knew at the time was very jealous that my first ever bass was a Gibson rather than a beginner's guitar.
    To top that he ordered straight off an R1 & when it arrived - because it wasn't the black he'd asked for (was it a colour option??) - he did a Townsend with it against his bedroom doorway, straight from the box he said (I was going to use an icon for that - but I couldn't be so light about such a thing.)
    I didn't believe him so he showed me the wreckage.

Not that it should be any consolation but within a few years he did have severe "issues".

14. Dinitink

Dinitink New Member

I have recently picked up one of these guitars, but a crappy les Paul model with a bolt on neck. Anyone on here able to help me? The electronics were all the same in my model and the sg model. Any help would be awesome.

15. edubfromktown

edubfromktown New Member

Greetings all,

I just stumbled across this web site. I've owned a stock 1980 SG-R1 for ~6 years. First played one back in 1980 that a friend of mine bought new. I had a used 1976 SG Standard (that the previous owner pimped out with DiMarzio pickups and a coil tap) back then. I really like the sound of the SG R1 with the Moog board enabled- lots more treble/tinny sound even though the body is on the bulky/boxy side compared to a typical SG. I see one come up for sale occasionally but they are typically in very poor condition.

Cheers,

edub

16. sidejack

sidejack New Member

Sorry for skipping the welcome page , only registered to add my 1980 SG-R1 to the list ( is it No. 15 or 16 ? ). Bought this guitar new for £339.00 , the receipt said " SG Active " and that was all I knew about it for the next 20 years (pre internet). I have done a couple of mods , which in hindsight have probably decreased it's value (but also made it a guitar I'm much happier with) , namely a polished stainless steel scratchplate and different PU's - Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck at the neck and a coil-tapped DiMarzio PAF Pro at the bridge + an extra 3-way mini toggle , still using the active electronics . The PU's have transformed the guitar for me , the originals (still have them) were way too clean for my taste even through a JCM 800.
    Condition is excellent , never been played outside the house and was relegated to second fiddle when I got my hands on a 1980 Explorer E2 a couple of years later (which has remained my weapon of choice to date).
    Anyway , hope these pics work :
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. rkscott7

rkscott7 New Member

18. rkscott7

rkscott7 New Member

You can use these bread board jumpers as the plugs that is what I am going to do with mine https://www.dropbox.com/s/jm0o9bvpyi22jjs/2014-09-10 00.07.12.jpg?dl=0
    You can get them at Jumper Wire / Dupont Cable - Connectors & Sockets

19. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Holy blast from the past Batman!

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, this thread pops up when I am considering pulling the board out of mine (vacuum sealing it and stowing away safely...) and running passive pickups, probably Super Distortions and 500K pots...

For the guys that installed different pickups and are still running through the active electronics, any tips on how you did this? Do you have to use a four conductor pickup and put a connector plug on the end like the originals?:hmm: