My amp died... So did this thread

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Layne Matz, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

As I was playing earlier all volume stopped and the amp remained on. I turned it off, then back on 5 or so minutes later. After testing the amp with a different cable and guitar nothing changed and there was still no sound even when unplugging the jack. I turned it off for about 30 minutes. Upon attempting to turn it back on the light would not turn on and nothing will happen.

Just played at the house of a new drummer a few nights ago, amp worked fine then. I asked the guy i got it from what I should do and he said to "trash it, it aint worth fixing". THIS DOESNT HELP ME!

I have no functioning amplifier, I'm broke and I don't know when my next job will be- not only that, I have bills to pay I cant be spending money on new gear!

What do you think i should do?

2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Well, that sucks.
    Maybe tell us what kind of amp you are talking about first. Then others might be able to give some suggestions and technical advice on how to fix it...

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

One option would be to start a Craigslist ad asking for a trade, if you've got anything you'd spare for an amp. Ask for any old gear that can get you through - old Peavey amps, Crate amps, etc. Someone might even just let you have one, if they've got one taking up room in their garage.

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Peavey Envoy 110, its old. The guy who had it before me used it pretty heavily too. Sorry, i was very distraught becuase i just had my SG break a few weeks ago so i finally got a new guitar as well as a new (better) drummer but now this happens.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

Change the fuse first. Sometimes fuses simply get old and break from that.

My main amp's in the shop right now, after it too quit. $40 diagnostic, and hopefully no big repair bill. I feel for you.

6. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I just had the same happened with my little twenty-year-old Marshall combo. I took a look in the back and found a blistered tube but the external fuse wasn't burned out. It turned out to be an overheated power tube that blew an internal fuse and a resistor. Total charge at a repair shop was $124.50 - much cheaper than a new amp.

[​IMG]

And now I'm a member of the exclusive fraternity of those who have burned up an amp.

Bob

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

The JTM's are notorious for overheating since the have the power tubes installed horizontally. I had a JTM-30 and it sounded amazing but started making weird noises at high volume because of the heat. I had a fan installed that helped a little but I ended up selling it because it kept munching power tubes.

8. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

You know, everyone says that but this guy perked happily along for twenty-two years on one set of power tubes.

Bob

Daniel.S and Layne Matz like this.