My Boss MT-2 Metal Zone sounds great, believe it or not!

Discussion in 'Effects' started by NoiseNinja, Mar 5, 2020.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

Changed out the overdrive and distortion in my guitar pedal setup, so instead of my overdrive being my Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo), and my distortion being my Behringer GDI21 (Tech 21 GT2 clone), with the American Sound stacked in front of it, my overdrive is now my Joyo Orange Juice, and my distortion is my Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, with the Orange Juice stacked in front of it.

And believe it it not, but I actually managed to make the Metal Zone sound great, with the High cut ever so slightly, set at just bellow the 12 o'clock position, the Low boosted, also just ever so slightly, to around the 12:30 o'clock position, the Mid Freq set at about 12:30 o'clock, with the Middle boosted ever so slightly to about 12:30 o'clock, and the Dist set to just bellow 9 o'clock, and then the Orange Juice stacked in front of it, set to a medium gain kind of overdrive, with the Tone knob set to about 12:30 o'clock, cutting the low end ever so slightly, and the 800Hz frequency area boosted slightly by setting the Voice knob to about 1 o'clock, which beside giving the Metal Zone distortion a more crunchy and raunchy character, making it less smooth sounding, also somehow adds more depth and punch to it, like removing the fizziness that the Metal Zone is infamous for, though it's actually really not bad sounding at all in this setting, and replacing it with some balls instead, all in all taking the distortion in a direction that is a bit more to my personal preferences.

Edit!!!:

Experimented a bit more with the settings of the Orange Juice, and how it affected the distortion of my Metal Zone, also trying to place the Orange Juice both in front and after the Metal Zone, though I found stacking it in front gave the best results, fattening up the distortion of the Metal Zone rather than thinning it out, as I found to some extend was the case when placed after.

I also changed slightly on the initial Metal Zone settings, and eventually I managed to make the distortion of the Metal Zone became even fuller, ballsier, crunchier and raunchier sounding than was the case with the settings I previously used, to the point where I think it is actually spot on to my personal distortion preferences, and that I, contrary to what I stated in the original post, before this experiment and following edit of my post, might drop my plans on getting a Mooer Black Secret Rat clone all together.

I also like the overdrive tone of my Orange Juice alone a bit better this way as well.

Surprisingly enough the ideal setting for me have all the knobs, except Drive and of course Volume, pretty close to noon on both pedals, even if I'd argue the subtle difference the slightly shifted knobs makes still makes the whole difference between decent and great sounding.

(The original post has been edited accordingly.)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Active Member

I know you can get great distortion tones from the Metal Zone, used it for my bass as well, it was the first pedal I ever owned, and while I initially misused it too, and went through a stage where I too thought it was an awful pedal, I eventually did learn how to dial it in right and appreciate it.

The headline was more aimed at all those people still buying in to the general and wide spread bad reputation it has as an incorrigible horrible distortion pedal, even commonly rumored to be the absolute worst distortion pedal ever made.

In one aspect there is some truth to this rumor though, cause due the insane amount of gain you are able to dial in on a Metal Zone, and coupled with the extremely powerful EQ section that it features, it is a pedal that is very very easy to get to sound absolutely horrifying awful.

The article you link to is very on point though with how to treat the Metal Zone to get useful, and even great, tones out of it.

Stacking my Joyo Orange Juice set to a light overdrive in front of it did help me though, to push the overall character of the pedal a little more in the direction that I prefer, which as I said is making it a bit crunchier, a bit chunkier, and a bit less smooth sounding, which is also why I think a Rat might be able to do a better job for me getting the kind of raunchiness I personally prefer my distortion to have.

On another note I think this guy did a much better job dialing in a killer bass distortion tone on a Metal Zone than the bass guy in the video the article you liked to links to (speaking of fizzy vs. chunky):

Last edited: Mar 5, 2020