My Epiphone set up...and best wishes for 2020

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Bert Scrogshaw, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

20200101_201651.jpg

My Epi SG straight into a Vox Mini 5 modelling amp. No pedals! From Hank Marvin to Tony Iommi
    via the turn of a few dials and gain. Hope everyone has a great 2020.

2. Vintage Rocker

Vintage Rocker Member

I have that same amp. It’s really like a Swiss knife of tones. Happy New Year!

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

No doubt on the versatility of that partnership.

Have a good one too.

Beery Swine and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I love the tone of my SG played through
    a Vox VT-30... Happy New Year, Feliz Ano Novo!
    Luna and Vox 2016@100.jpg

5. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

I have really taken a keen interest in small amps as of lately. That looks pretty cool

6. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

It does for me and for what I (try) to play at home. It has a basic tuner on it and enough effects and amp models on it to keep me tinkering for different sounds. It even has drum settings on it. What amp are you using at the moment?

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Untitled.jpg
    Loud. Very Loud. GREAT AMP FOR METAL..LOUD!
    I usually run it through a Fender 8" speaker but have the HOTONE 3.5" cabinet as well

Bettyboo and Beery Swine like this.
  8. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Nice......but maybe too loud for Mrs Scrogshaw. The Vox Mini 5 is 5 amp but can be switched to 1.5 amp or 0.1 amp. Mrs S likes it to be on the 0.1amp setting. The Black Sabbath stuff has to be played through headphones......she won't listen to that at all.....no matter how quiet I try to play it.

Biddlin likes this.
  9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Usually too loud for me, in fact. I think it's rated .5 Watts, but like a real Marshall, it sounds best dimed out. I have not really found a bedroom amp that thrills me. I can dial my Crate Palomino down pretty low and still get pinch harmonics and my Vox AD30VT with attenuation works OK.(Has anybody upgraded the speaker in one of these?) My old pal Steve D, the worst great drummer I know, built a trap set out of cardboard and ferrule cement so he could practice in his apartment without disturbing his neighbors. It allowed him full physical expression (and aerobic exercise) at a whisper volume. After my recent surgery, I am still struggling to get my touch back and listening to myself at the lowest possible volume is probably best for all.

Bettyboo and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  10. Col Mustard

I replaced the speaker in my Vox VT-30, which is the model that came after the AD-30VT.

I installed a 4 Ohm Jensen "Mod" speaker, and like the tone of it very much.
    That's not the world's most expensive speaker but I like it.
    09 foam fill@100.jpg
    Before you do that however, I recommend filling in the cavity in the speaker box
    with foam, or even wadded up T-shirts or yer old "Airline Pillow." This has a salutary
    effect on the tone that comes from the box IMHO.
    You might decide you like your stock speaker better.
    I glued foam right to the walls of the cab, and then added more, just stuffed in.

Another easy mod for these amps is to get the durn thing off the ground.
    I bought an amp stand, because I was curious, but you can do the same thing
    with some lumber wedgies, painted theatre black. Mine sounded better right away.

For my Vox amp, because I like the tone so much, I installed the "VT f/x loop mod" which
    gives more versatility and enables an f/x loop, alternate cabs and a pre-amp out. it also
    replaces the stock input jack, which is sometimes problematic.
    12 amp back@100.jpg

Bettyboo likes this.
  11. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Active Member

Ay, Colonel, do you have any experience with Vox's VT+ line? I bought the 20 when I moved into this place just to have something to play, plus I liked the tones at the shops. I wonder how the VT and VT+ compare and contrast with each other tone wise?
    At some point I really do need to get some foam for that easy cab mod.

12. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Och......this is all a bit technical to this highland laddie. However I do enjoy seeing members guitars and amps on here. And I'm thinking of doing a basic electric/electronics course. Aye......more knowledge than how to switch my amp on and off would be good.

Col Mustard likes this.
  13. Col Mustard

I like the valvetronix series amps. The first time I heard one was about 11-12 years ago.
    My music partner and I hired a champ sideman to accompany us for an album release concert.
    We had hired him to play on the recording, so it seemed a good idea. He plays fiddle, mandolin,
    acoustic and electric guitars, keys, double bass... shove a broom up his arse and he can sweep
    the floor...

He came aboard with a Valvetronix AD-30... and played a Strat through it.
    I loved the tone he was getting so much that I carefully examined his amp when
    we took a break. I had not heard of the Valvetronix line before, so I wrote down
    the model and all.

Later I went looking, and couldn't find one. Discontinued... and replaced by the
    VT-30 in the lineup. So I found one of those marked down at a small shop somewhere
    and pounced. Loved the tone instantly... and then I tried reading the "manual."

Hah...

The valvetronix amps will behave like a 'regular' amp, which means plug it in,
    adjust the tone controls and rock. But then there's so much more.

The VT+ series replaced the VT series, and are more powerful in each class.
    There are lots of models I'll never use, but I've found a few great tones and been
    able to save those as presets. I like that feature.

So another guitarist that I know and respect came to one of our shows and heard
    me playing through my VT-30, and the next thing I know he's bought himself a
    VT+20 and plays the hell out of that. He doesn't need a giant amp, he just mikes
    the small one for a bigger venue and plays it mostly clean. He gets great tone out of
    his, using a Telecaster. I get great tone out of mine using my SG, and I also like the
    sound of the P-90s of my Epiphone through it. I like how light they are.

Beery Swine and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  14. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

The weight is what wins it for me. I have a choice between my VT30 and my Fender Red Knob Twin. Well, I don't own a fork lift, so the Fender remains where it is, slowly sinking through the floor.

DrBGood likes this.
  15. DanB

DanB Active Member

Happy New Year! You have a nice looking set up over there in bonny Scotland!

Bert Scrogshaw likes this.
  16. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Due to the current lockdown situation I would like to change my wishes for everyone to have a great 2020 to everyone have a SAFE 2020.

Stay safe.......wherever you are.

DrBGood likes this.
  17. Robert Nunn

Robert Nunn New Member

Talking about small amps, the Blackstar Limited Edition Anniversary Series I have is great. Artisan 10w and put a greenback in and it is a sweet amp.