My Epiphone SG Special evolution

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by bchaffin72, Oct 21, 2017.

1. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

The day I bought it:

[​IMG]

First thing it got was a new Tusq XL nut:

[​IMG]

Then, an upgrade to standard controls:

[​IMG]

Pickups I custom built for it:

[​IMG]

A few days ago, vintage style tuners:

[​IMG]

And, just this morning, new fret markers:

[​IMG]

Have I tortured it enough, yet??:D

FoldedWilderness, sgpenguin and Yes G like this.
  2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yes! Seriously, nice work, btw.

3. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

I'm sorry!! I didn't mean to!!

Thanks. It's been fun. But the above is kind of true. Unlike my Squier tele to vintage nocaster tribute, I never meant to go quite this far on it, but one thing kind of led to another. At least this SG can claim to have a few of its original parts left(pickguard, truss rod cover, bridge/tailpiece, selector switch, and one volume pot). The only factory original left in the Squier is its wood.:D

4. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Are those real inlays or stickers? Very nice work man I like it!

5. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

They're thin pearloid inlay stickers I ordered from a company online. I figured, since I'd already gone so far, and Iommi was my main influence in taking up electric guitar as a teenager(and I remain a Sabbath fan), I may as well go for that extra touch of the cross inlay look, like the Iommi sig model

Plan Zero likes this.
  6. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Agreed, Iommi is the f**king man! Love the tribute axe.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

About 20 years ago, I started to clean out my parts drawer and thought, " A partscaster Strat is low hanging fruit. I'll build one of those! I literally intended to put in Tex-Mex pickups and a wired black pickguard, vintage tuners on a one piece adjust at the heel maple neck with rosewood board, all parts I had readily at hand. By the time I got finished with it, it had a new mint green pickguard and s1 switching with noiseless pickups, new fender tuners and custom made tremolo block. About $300 worth of parts and a couple hundred hours, all the time acquiring more parts. That was 20 years ago and countless such projects since, I have given up trying to empty my spare parts drawer and garage of the extraneous bits by using them. Now any of my buddies that wants something just comes and grabs it. I have broken most of them of the habit of bringing more parts than they take....

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The top looks real nice on it, almost like it's not a veneer. Can you take a few pics outside in natural light, so we appreciate that nice cherry SG ? I'd be curious to see the bevel to top grain pattern. It looks to be continuous, which it's probably not.

9. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

I'll have to wait for a better day for outside shots, but here's a couple of the bevel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. DrBGood

Wow ... is the grain continuous from top to bevel ? Looks like it is. If so it's very unusual, these usually have veneers on both sides, so you tend to see a difference in the grain patterns.

What year is it ? Can we see the serial # ?

11. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

It looks like it is to me, too.

It's a 2016 model, Indonesian made. Dated to March, 2016, production #364

Pictures rarely seem to do it full justice, but people who have seen it in person always comment on how beautiful the finish is.

Bonzo21 and Biddlin like this.
  12. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

I suppose it's a bit ironic that, given the influence he was on me as a teenager, and how many Sabbath songs my first band jammed on, I haven't actually owned an SG until now. Back then, I was using what I could afford, a cheap strat copy with a humbucker rather crudley shoehorned into the bridge position. Not my best work but, hey, I was young, impatient, and not nearly as practiced as I am now. And probably a little drunk, too........:D

Bonzo21 and DrBGood like this.
  13. DrBGood

When was that ... last year ?:rofl:

If your Special doesn't have veneer, it is indeed VERY special.

14. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

Sure, last year. If 1 year suddenly equaled about 27............:D:D

The more I do look, especially at the transition areas between flats and bevels, the more I see grain lines carry right through. Given the price of the guitar, I definitely would have thought veneer, but now that I look really close, I don't think so.

The only hard transition line it has is on the back of the headstock:

[​IMG]

15. DrBGood

If it is so, you have one of a kind. I think the last Epiphone SG that came without veneer, was the 2003/2004 Vintage with neck binding.

16. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

The other thing I can't say for sure is different, not having seen any other SG Specials up close, is that mine also has a full size control cavity, which is why I was so easily able to add the extra controls. I talked to someone elsewhere who had wanted to do a similar mod on their LP Special, but the control cavity was too small.

Haphazard things do happen from time to time, so it's almost enough to make me wonder if maybe it's a body that wasn't specifically meant to be a Special whenever it was originally cut. The neck heel has a sticker that agrees with the serial dating, but the body has no such identifying stickers or markings.

17. DrBGood

The Walmart ones have a full size cavity, so they must pretty much all have them.

Again on this picture, the grain seem to follow on the bevels. Check the right side of this one. If you click on it you'll get the full image.

[​IMG]

18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 Member

I guess that's not too unusual, then. But it did make my work much easier..........:D

19. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Tuners were the hardest to replace on my Epi Special SG. I wish I just did vintage. For some stupid reason, my heart was set on Grovers. The guitar was old with dry wood. It was a challenge to enlarge those tuner holes.

20. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Oddly enough, I used to jam some Sabbath and get drunk as a teen too, grew up listening to the stuff with my old man, but I only bought my first SG about a year and a half ago ahahhaah