My first Duncan....

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by milesdeem, Apr 30, 2016.

1. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Look what came in the mail today: The 3rd American-made pickup purchase I've made (the first two were the Gibson Dirty Fingers, and then a Tony Iommi Signature......years ago).
    This one is a Custom Custom Trembucker. Basically a Custom with an alnico 2 magnet instead of the ceramic one. Fer the grey metalflake lightweight strat-facsimile.
    The free bottle-opener/key ring is a weird promo item. .kevins camera 523.jpg .kevins camera 525.jpg .kevins camera 519.jpg

Gahr likes this.
  2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Cool. Seymour Duncan makes some nice pickups. I love the Phat Cat humbucker-size P-90s and I've been GASing for a pair of Seth Lovers for my Les Paul.

milesdeem likes this.
  3. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard a bad thing about Seymour Duncan pups myself. Congrats!!

milesdeem likes this.
  4. milesdeem

Thanks guys! I haven't heard a bad thing about them either. The info I gather on this pickup is quite interesting. So much so, I had to pull that trigger.
    And I do hear good thing's about the Phat Cat also Gahr....I just have a Mean 90 and it is AWESOME! Sooner or later I'll have to try a Phat Cat.

5. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

In my SG 's:
    Jazz neck and 59/Custom in the bridge - one of Duncan's best bridge pickups
    WLH set - probably my all time favorite pickup set
    DMZ 36 Anniversary set

Hello Milesdeem,

Am a long time Duncan user. Tried the Custom custom years ago and never went back to her. How about a review of the pickup after you've had a chance to work her for awhile?

bwotw, Raiyn and milesdeem like this.
  6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I have only used their Quarter Pound pickups, in a Telecaster (bridge only) and a Jazz bass (set). In both cases they have been very impressive. I'm not sure how this translates over to their humbuckers but I would definitely recommend Quarter Pound pickups for hardcore and metal applications and would buy more if I had the guitars to put them in.

Otherwise I use Bare Knuckles (P-90 and humbuckers) and I have been very happy with those too.

milesdeem likes this.
  7. milesdeem

Yes I will post a review shortly after I install it and do the usual sound testing, and a few hours of jamming at least.

8. Westernrider

Thanks. Am interested in your review. I tried it in an older Explorer guitar. Without biasing your initial and later impressions, the best way to describe the sound of the CC is to visualize a scene from a cartoon I saw before the night of the living dead - Felix the cat. Imagine the scene with Felix in bed and under the covers.

Considering that you are dropping it into a strat, I'd like to know how it handles the bass and the highs.

Take your time and thanks.

John

milesdeem likes this.
  9. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

GRATS! SDs are awesome.

10. milesdeem

Yes they are. Worth every penny this one is. And it was just $79.95. The quality oozed forth as soon as I plugged in and played actually. By then I realized I had to re-EQ my amp because this pickup doesn't sound like any of my other ones. So with the EQ on my (Sunn SL-260) reading B3-M5-T5 it sounded way better. Beautiful cleans on the clean channel A, a strong point this one has. I also found out that it likes the built-in amp OD (channel B) dial around 5/halfway for some good blues with a bit of oomph. Turn it back to 3 or less if you plug in an OD pedal. This pickup loves the e-Wave Double Press OD with the setting's pictured below. On these settings it's '70's rock and the late '70's transforming into the '80's brand of rock/metal.
    But this isn't for any bass-heavy anything for sure. This pickup has bass, but it's more in the background. You can still palm-mute, but the attack is different and more old-school sounding than say some horrific death metal riffs. Turn up the bass on my amp with this pickup and it get's muddy with gain, or without. Same thing happens if you turn the tone knob of your OD pedal toward the bass increase. This pickup "tell's me" how to set my bass EQ settings, no matter where they are located. This is where I want to keep it. This pickup has more mids and treble, but not too much. Try to go for a lower mid setting and it will not let me. Keep mid's at 5 or 6. Treble the same. That aside, I must remind us that the body of this strat is "paulownia" and weigh's less than 3 lbs. by itself. I'm also using a rosewood fingerboard. They say this pickup like's maple and ebony fingerboards. I conclude it likes rosewood also. Alnico 2 sound's full and rich to me. Different than any of my other A5 or ceramic humbucker pickups where the bass is a key part of contemporary metal sound.....and the mid's are scooped to one degree or another. It's different but I like it.
    The secret "brown-sound" pickup? I've read that about the Custom Custom in a strat. Not mine. That's not why I bought it. It does sound very pleasing with what I am using.
    My total playing time so far with this guitar/pickup combo is around 2 hours with 2 different OD pedals (the Double Press, and the MOEN Phoenix Song), and a Guyatone RAT pedal. It like's all three, but the Double Press was the favorite in the combination.
    More playing/testing to do. You may notice I have no string tree installed on this one yet. That's because I can wind the string's "low" on the split posts. I may install one later if I find it to be necessary. .kevins camera 548.jpg .kevins camera 547.jpg .kevins camera 554.jpg .kevins camera 559.jpg .kevins camera 567.jpg .kevins camera 578.jpg

Last edited: May 4, 2016
    bwotw, Bettyboo and syscokid like this.
  11. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

looks good! love single bucker strats. nice review!

nice review.
    the only duncan pickups i have real experience with are the blackwinters. they are great in the right guitar, but a little dark for what i'm currently playing these days

milesdeem likes this.
  12. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Nice review!

Seymour Duncan products are high quality at decent prices. Not just their pups, but their effects pedals, too. They make so many different pups... it's mind boggling! Great customer service with a very informative website and forum. They are also located just 90 minutes south from me in beautiful Santa Barbara, Calif.

milesdeem likes this.
  13. milesdeem

I was thinking of getting a Black Winter to begin with, but it didn't fit my original scheme of getting a humbucker that wasn't designed with any modern metal genre's in mind....although I think the Black Winter is good at a lot of different things, according to reviews I've read.
    I made the right choice. The Custom Custom sound's excellent, has a nice "grind" with OD, and it fill's the need for an "old school" rock/hard rock sound I want. So far, I'm happy with it.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  14. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

the blackwinter definitely works as advertised. dark, hairy distortion great for several metal styles (although not so much the tight progressive stuff). if i were in a heavier outfit, i wouldn't hesitate to rock them. they aren't scooped in the eq dept, which does make them versatile. but for me, they just don't cut through my band's mix like i need them to

after having done dozens of pickup swaps across multiple guitars, i can tell you it's a great feeling to settle on the one(s) that work(s) for you. glad you're diggin' the CC!

milesdeem likes this.
  15. Westernrider

Many thanks for the good write up of the CC. Its been many many years since I tried one. It struck me as a mid rich pickup with lower bass and highs and I couldn't get a good sound at the time. My preference is for A5 magnets which are in the WLH, 59/Customs and the Dimarzio 36Anniversay set.

Age, practice, and experience so seriously count. Your review is light years ahead of my memories of the Custom Custom. At this time, I don't need one of these. This could change in the future if I get a guitar that this pickup could compliment.

For your consideration: Also, if I am remembering correctly, and no, I can't prove it - in the early 90's Fender was selling Strats with a SD Pearly Gates in the bridge.

milesdeem likes this.
  16. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

A buddy of mine has an '04 American Standard in Seafoam Green. It has the Pearly Gates in the bridge (Texas Specials for Neck and Mid).

milesdeem likes this.
  17. milesdeem

Your welcome.
    Light years ahead? I am a legend in my own mind. But the line "Mother always said: Try New Things" work's well in this case. I had never had an A2 mag pickup ever, knowingly. So I figure I'd try one that's got a hotter wind (14.8K for the TB-11....the SH-11 is 14.1K). It helped me clean the dust off my tone knobs on my amp, and pedals. But after re-EQ-ing it came out and said "hey let's rock-out!"

syscokid likes this.
  18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I'm looking at a set for my G400. Care to elaborate a bit?

19. Gibsg

Gibsg Well-Known Member

I have a set of S Duncan '59 on a Gibson SG Special, great pickups .

milesdeem likes this.
  20. milesdeem

After about 5 hour's playing time, which included a MOEN Shaky Jimi Roto/Univibe type pedal and just the amp OD, or with the Double Press OD kicking as well. The OD pedal tone knob know rest's at 6 (or 1 o'clock looking at the knob). A little more treble enhances the roto pedal and I get some sexy wails and neat harmonics among the spinning speaker effect. Not a thin treble. Nice round treble.....
    For a hot A2 humbucker it can do many things, and sound great doing all of them. And I get very low noise without any noise reduction used. Sound quality went up a few notches. I'm impressed.

bwotw likes this.