My Fleabay 1971 SG Standard. Is it rare?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Ron Featherston, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ron Featherston

Ron Featherston New Member

New member here so by way of introduction, I just scored this beautiful 71 Standard on Ebay for $1200. I was the only bidder for some reason...probably because the seller didn't include the word "Standard" in the title and it didn't come up on searches for same. I think I got lucky. Right?
    Anyway I couldn't pass it up but I had already bought a 73 Standard a week ago which is super nice as well but not 100% (Upgraded tuners and non original pick guard). Now I may need to make a decision as to which one to keep.
    The Ebay one (see pics) seems from what have read to be unusual in that pot codes say they were made the 42nd week of 71 so it would be a very late 71. All the 71s I have seen have the vibrato or tail piece and bigger pick guard. This one has the hard tail and small PG. It also has the embossed pickups which I have seen sell for $700 a pair for on Ebay. My understanding is that in 72 the Standard became the Deluxe and then the standard came back in 73 for good. So was this maybe a special order item in late 71? The condition seems great although I don't expect the guitar to arrive until Monday so I haven't seen it. It is supposedly 100% original and seems to be.
    So If I need to sell this guitar, could I advertise it as being rare and what should I ask for it? What's going on with the market these days on these SGs? I would think the 71 through 73 SGs would be desirable because they were made in the Kalamazoo factory before the operation moved to Nashville. Same workmanship as the 60s models because upposedly many of the workers in Michigan didn't move to Nashville so quality suffered after 74. I will post up pics of the 73 to get your impressions on its condition and value as well. I love the 73 so far and so does my aching back. I think it would have the tar back pups but haven't checked on that yet. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Ron

Attached Files:

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

Welcome! And I reckon that was a pretty good deal, well done... :)

The Standard became the Deluxe in '71, but Gibson reintroduced the Standard (and Special) during '72. As I understand it, that's when the block markers were introduced, so I think it's unlikely this was made before '72 - perhaps it's a very early '72? If so, it wouldn't be particularly rare, but still a great axe. That pickguard is also very much in the shape of the '70s models, the earlier (and current) angel wing pickguards are more 'pointy'. Altogether I think it's unlikely to be a special order, though perhaps it has been modified with some parts from an earlier Gibson? Someone with a better eye for detail (and knowledge of 70s models) will probably be able to give a more definitive answer.

PermissionToLand and syscokid like this.
  3. Ron Featherston

So It appears that I have a 72 model then and not a 71. So were the T Top pups used throughout 72 and when did they switch to the tar back ones...in 73? I need to look at my 73 pups and see what those are. What about the finish on my 72? Does that look like the Walnut finish? I don't see a lot of grain in the wood. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  4. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

My T Top guitar was late 70's LP.

I sadly sold that guitar around 91 and miss it every day. When I got another LP
    (Epiphone), the pickups were good enough for my novice playing, but I wanted to hear that T Top sound again and bought some 1979 dated T Tops to install in it. That guitar is my el cheapo but modded Gibson LP killer.

Raiyn likes this.
  5. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Active Member

IDK if it's rare or not, but as an aside, my 1978 L/H standard was made in Kalamazoo.
    Guitar Info

The pattern is as follows:
    YDDDYRRR
    YY is the production year
    DDD is the day of the year
    RRR is the factory ranking/plant designation number.
    Prior to 1984 when the Kalamazoo, MI factory was closed, the numbers 001-499 indicated Kalamazoo production. Ranking numbers 500-999 continued to indicate Nashville production through 1989.

7XXX8132

Back in that era until Kalamazoo shut down, it might have been considered the custom shop for electrics although i don't think they called it the custom shop back then.

I know, that doesn't help you much.

http://archive.gibson.com/Files/downloads/bluebook/GibsonSERIALNUMBERS.pdf

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  6. Ron Featherston

I pulled the pups are they are tar backs. The other thing not mentioned so far is that if you look closely in the pics, there are no bevels. So it seems this Standard was made using a Deluxe body so one could say it is a Deluxe Standard. I checked with Gibson and they told me there were 1009 "Standards" delivered in 1972. This would be one of them I assume. I wonder how many of those Standards were made with no bevels. It also seems interesting that in the 1972 Gibson catalog, only the Deluxe is available...not the Standard yet they delivered 1009 of them.

7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I don't know if it's rare or not either, but I like her.

Ron Featherston likes this.
  8. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Member

Probably somewhat rare I would imagine, seeing as they changed the SG once a year in those days. The deeper-set neck joint and subdued edge carving, making with the wide-travel bridge made this a very sturdy, substantial guitar physically, and I'd be willing to bet, finally as well.

9. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Actually, I'd say it's a late 72. The shallow/no bevels support that, since they often introduced features gradually. You can find models with transitional features for almost every design change. The very first '72 Standards still had Bigsbys like the Deluxe. Here is an excellent breakdown of the changes in that era:

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/from-70-sg-standard-to-73-sg-standard-a-timeline.23055/

You'll see he mentions further down that he hasn't seen '72s with the '73 features. So yours could actually be fairly rare.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
    AngelDeVille likes this.
  10. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

I always thought that the "71 Standards had bat wing pick guard, TOM bridge and Trap markers. I f there were no '&1 than I guess I'm thinking of the '70 Standard. I also thought that the Gibson embossed pickup covers came out in '72. Those covers alone might fetch $200. a piece. It looks completely original, good shape, you certainly didn't over pay. Rare? who knows, but nice...definitely.

11. lunchbox

lunchbox Active Member

I think you got it for so cheap because a lot of people, like me, probably wouldn't buy an SG w/o beveling. It's what makes the shape work so well, imo.

12. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

No, you're right. There were Standards made in the '70 style in '71. In fact, Angus Young's first SG was either a late 70 or early 71; it had very shallow bevels, a big volute and a three-piece neck.

13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I'm not one of those people. I'd love to have her.

PermissionToLand and lunchbox like this.
  14. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

You got a great deal in my estimation! Nice.