My new Turkish Çaglama SG. It's a Baglama/SG android!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by sazista, Sep 12, 2019.

1. sazista

sazista Active Member

Hi folks, some of you may know that besides playing SGs, I also play the Turkish Baglama *you can look in up on youtube*. It has been a hellish nightmare of feedback playing live with distortion and effects. It's traditionally an acoustic instrument. My ISP didn't help much, other than kill all the sound. As I was gearing up to buy another SG, i thought I'd find a new baglama (also known as "Saz", or "Divan", etc). I found this cool and original luthier in Izmir Turkey and agreed to buy one of his Çaglamas. This is his design and new name for a new instrument which takes it's neck and fret spacing from a baglama and adds pickups, etc to play other styles of music. I talked him 'out of' making me his usual shape and making it more SG-ish. He agreed and here is it's birthing process. I'm really excited to hear and play it. He uses mostly recycled, discarded materials. If you're interested in these or this type of music, let me know, we'll talk. You'll notice the thin neck, like a baglama.
    Çaglama is pronounced "Jah-Lah-ma". The last photo was from our recording session in February with Jack Endino here in Santiago. The saz/baglama in the middle is called a "Divan" saz, for it's size. That's the screamer feedbacker!!

Attached Files:

PixMix and Sweetums like this.
  2. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

You run distortion pedals with saz? That sounds quite amazing.

Recently I have been listening to some Taksim Trio tunes. Amazing musicians playing some really good stuff.

3. sazista

sazista Active Member

Hi, yes, I have my board equipped with a Joyo AC Tone, a Black Secret and a Hot Plexi, plus, delay, Octave, etc. It'll be much more manageable with this Çaglama electric instead of my forcing the acoustic baglama to rock out and end up feeding back. Taksim Trio is brillant. Check out Erkan Ogur: "Hiç", Bengi Trio also. Neset Ertas, who was the Hendrix of Turkish folk who electrified his saz with distortion.

PixMix likes this.
  4. sazista

sazista Active Member

It's done and will be showing up to me in a few weeks!!

Attached Files:

HackeIommi and PixMix like this.
  5. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

That is a thing of beauty! Can't wait to hear it ;)

6. sazista

sazista Active Member

It's coming this week from Turkey! For those thinking that it looks very rough for an SG, it is, it's not really a guitar, and the quite unorthodox in baglama shape. I actually may make the contours even deeper and more SG-er. Stay tuned.