My Review of the Klon KTR

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Clifdawg, Dec 28, 2019.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

It’s the best 270 bucks I’ve ever spent.

[​IMG]

No, really, the hype is real. Go buy one, if you can find it. Sell a vital organ if you have to.

I can’t overstate how simple this pedal is. It’s a “MORE” button for your amp. If you like the sound you’re getting, it’s just going to give you more of what you like. If you don’t, then it’s going to give you more of what you hate. The gain gets a little grainy at the upper limits, but that seems to be the case with most low-medium gain ODs. The treble is just an ever-so-slight filter that helps you put in or take out a little presence when engaged. The output... is what it says on the tin.

Honestly... it’s going to be an always-on pedal for me. Into the squeaky clean channel of my DSL40C, I can coax a little bit of natural overdrive and a touch of the Klon’s “simulated power amp saturation” sound for a nice off-clean with a just a little bite with pick attack. But... when I put my OCD between the Klon and my Marshall, it becomes an absolute high-gain monster. Super tight, punchy low end; great clarity and note separation; lots of that sizzling high end with a touch of roll-off that lets the bite through but keeps the harshness out. Together, the OCD and the Klon respond extremely well to pick attack and the volume knob.

I love DSL40C and my SG, but there’s always been a little something missing. The OCD helped me get closer, but not quite. I plugged this in and immediately thought “This is it.” I’m now getting the very best tone at any volume that I’ve ever gotten out of any piece of gear I’ve ever owned, period. This isn’t conformation bias: I honestly expected not to really love the thing, I just bought it because of its relative rarity and it’s increasing value. Forget increasing value. This thing is meant to be played, and play it I most certainly will. Time will tell if the honeymoon lasts but man. This thing just sings and sings and sings. :dude:

Logan, Voxman, Bettyboo and 3 others like this.
  2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I had been curious about this pedal, but the price has and probably will keep me away, but I’ll watch garage sales.

when the Klon wars were raging I stopped at the Soul Food for my always on pedal, I even have one for bass. The joyo vintage od was no slouch either.

thanks for the review, I’ll pm my address if you want another opinion.

Clifdawg likes this.
  3. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I just got one 2 weeks ago after deciding not to drop the big bucks on the " long tailed gold one.

Clifdawg likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Nice! It's too expensive for my budget. I tend to buy cheaper clones. Enjoy!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    Voxman and Clifdawg like this.
  5. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

And I do hope your experience echoes mine!

Voxman likes this.
  6. PixMix

PixMix Well-Known Member

I have been super happy with a J. Rocket Archer I got last year. Would love to test drive a KTR.

Voxman likes this.
  7. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

I'm almost up to the test of the Klon KTR, as there's a couple of other pedals ahead of it but I would not of bought it if a seller didn't accept an offer I threw out there so I'm into it for a bit less than two hundred. All the other new ones were a hundred bucks more so if I don't care for it I can at the very least, break even, that was my goal. I really don't use pedals but when I get a good feelin about something I've been fortunate so far for, lets say, 50 years, though there have been a few disappointments based on marketing hype. Next one was a Mad Professor Simble which gave me the Larry Carlton type of sound when he had something to prove, aka Kid Charlemagne solo sound which inspired me greatly. They came out with a pre-driver for it so I just added that one but have yet to mate them, The MP predriver has one toggle, a hot and cool switch, that's it. After all, It's just a journey ….. As opinion of things constantly evolve

8. ungarn

ungarn Member

That is a really great pedal, enjoy! Soul Food is good too, but not the same pedal at all.