My SG 61 RI Arrived Yesterday - Pics

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by woodrow886, Dec 1, 2012.

1. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Thanks Peter.

I'm looking forward to getting more acquainted with it next weekend. I have to say...I like it better than my Les Paul faded (50s neck).

:dude:

W.

2. oldleftySG

oldleftySG Active Member

The used 61 reissue I got recentl has the pickup set very high. Grrrrrowwwwlll....

3. nbeersiii

nbeersiii Well-Known Member

I thought so myself until I bought my SG Classic. I have never played a better guitar. Lets just say SGs rule! no matter what model!

4. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

Awesome score! I played one of those 61 reissue and was knocked out by how cool it sounded. Easy playing and very precise was also in my observation on it. Gotta love an SG!

5. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Thanks guys. I've a feeling it won't be my last SG either :)

By the way, I have no more dirty fingertips. :applause:

6. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

Well its recommended to loosen the strings to allow for some flexibility in tension when exposed to rapid variations in temperature and humidity it can be exposed to during shipping; I'd be more concerned if it had been shipped in tune with full tension on the headstock. I also restring and setup any guitar I buy, new or used, to my preference and with my brand/size strings.

I'm always surprised when people expect a shipped guitar to arrive perfectly in tune, intonated, and with action already to their preference - that's what a setup is for (not that you do that, just speaking in general terms).

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
    Blunce likes this.
  7. GTSG

GTSG Active Member

Me too, especially with a Mahogany neck/headstock.

8. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I believe the Epiphone has had its fretboard dyed with something like chinese fake ebony fretboard black... dunno what the technical term for it is. I don't think Gibson uses anything like that. but there are a couple of fretboard treatments I've recently discovered which I now like a lot.

One is called 'Fret Doctor.'
    Bore Oil for the Fife and Fret Doctor
    this is an oil that seems to work really well, and sinks into the wood of your
    fingerboard. I have used it on a couple of guitars so far and like it better than lemon oil.

the other is called "gorgomyte"
    STEWMAC.COM : Gorgomyte Fretboard Conditioning Cloth

I'm new to both of these products, but they have worked quite well for me when I change strings, I'll usually go over the fingerboard with one of these before I string up.

while yer on the StewMac site, look at what they call 'guitar grease"
    ...another thing I like. a tiny bit on a toothpick in your nut slots makes a difference in tuning stability IMHO. you can also make your own by sprinkling some powdered graphite into a film can with vaseline in the bottom. stir it up and you've got the worlds best guitar grease... both of these things are good for nut slots, tuning gears, bridge saddle slots, and the point where yer strings come up through the body of a telecaster and bend toward the bridge.

Welcome to ETSG, and congratulations on getting a fine guitar. One of the world's best, IMHO. I hope you fall as deeply in love with your SG as I have with mine, and as others on these boards have admitted to. I'm glad your fingers are no longer grimy. Having an SG will contribute to your becoming a better guitar player. They told me that when I was new here, and my SG was new, and I hardly believed it.
    But it's true.

good luck

Blunce likes this.
  9. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

Nice guitar...congrats. The short neck-tenon really allows for easier upper fret access, but is a bit weaker, but that's the price you pay for ultimate upper fret access. I played a '61 RI VOS the other week with the Maestro Vibrola and man it had this natural reverb unplugged that sounded pretty amazing. I played a good half hour thru an all-tube amp and it jived. I might rent it out one weekend and post some videos. What was the price of yours?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Blunce likes this.
  10. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Hey...thanks for all the info guys.

Cheers Col Mustard...I feel like I've improved already. :)

BlackSG91 - Mines was £890 from Thomann in Germany. Cheaper thatn what a Standard SG was a few months ago. The guy I phoned had 11 x Heritage Cherry when I bought mine a few weeks ago. They now only have White and Faded Cherry. They're going like hot cakes.

When you say the 61s are weaker. Are there lots of horror stories of them going out of tune a lot or even breaking? Reading things like this makes me handle it like a baby..lol

BlackSG91 likes this.
  11. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Well-Known Member

Real 61's had issues early on. None of my numerous 61RI's had any such problems.

woodrow886 and Blunce like this.
  12. woodrow886

woodrow886 New Member

Thanks TattooedCarrot

I'm glad to hear that to be honest.

It might be that Gibson may have refined the way they do their neck/body joints over the years, with them being stronger and more improved over the years relative to the original 61s?

13. Blunce

Blunce New Member

Yeah, Gibson did'nt quite have the neck/body sorted out on the first batch. From late 61' they are fine.

Great axe, mines a 2010 & loving it.

Take your time with pickup height adjustments, you'll find that sweet spot.

The good ol' 61' RI is hard to beat, in my humble opinion...

Welcome.

Hi Mrs. Carrot.

woodrow886 likes this.
  14. BlackSG91

BlackSG91 Well-Known Member

That's good to hear also because I sure would love to own a '61 RI one day. It just looks visually weak, but it also looks very cool and that ultimate upper-fret access just makes guitar playing a breeze. That's what I love about mine.:dude:

woodrow886 likes this.
  15. tubetone74

tubetone74 New Member

Very nice! Think I'm gonna spring for a new 2013 model of this gtr.

16. michael2003x

michael2003x New Member

Congrats, I have a 2012 and it is my No 1 guitar, I simply can't put it down, those 57's blow me away !!:dude:

17. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

yes, I believe that the Gibson '61 RI is simply one of the best guitars ever made. They have had fifty years to correct any faults, and I believe they have done so. SGs are all more fragile than Fender guitars (for example). Maybe this is a price we pay for the great tone we get from these instruments. Fenders have their own mystique, part of which comes from being built like ye proverbial Tank. Guys on these boards are all into modifying their SGs, myself included. But the '61 is one of those few that doesn't require any tweaking beyond a good professional setup IMHO.

So treat your '61 (or any SG) with care and respect, but don't baby it. It's a rocker. It's going to get scratched and dented. If it doesn't, you aren't playing hard enough... *laughs. SGs are supposed to have a few claw marks on them IMHO. But don't lean it against brick walls or prop it on amplifiers with cables running everywhere like black spaghetti.

SGs (or any Gibsons) are particularly vulnerable at the nut, where the headstock joins the neck. Guitar repairmen tell me they see at least one or two a month, and it pays for their children's education and health care. Routine repairs for guitar shops, but don't let it happen to your new '61. *smiles, nods wisely. Best wishes to you. it's a lovely instrument.