NAD Blackstar FLY 3

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by eS.G., Feb 13, 2015.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

How's it sound - I've seen good reports. Do you reckon I can get some classic Punk, Pixies, T-Rex, Hendrix and Wham (:naughty:) from it with a Fuzzy OD/D pedal going into it?

2. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Yes. It cleans up nice and it has nice crunch.im usin guitars with mostly PAF humbuckers in them and does Scorpians,Neil Young,ACDC.i mean its a clean/crunch one trick pony but its my main one i use all the time.

3. Bettyboo

^ did you say the Scorpians??? Surely not... :rofl:

Sounds like a great bit of kit though, and very practical. I just ordered up a 496T, so that's not too far away from your PAFs, so I reckon I'll probably pick up one of those Baby Terrors.

I tried to get a Vox 1x1 cabinet to feed my TWIN head into, but the local guitar shop ran out; at $30 seems quite a bargain:

[​IMG]

That's RnR baby!!!

eS.G. likes this.
  4. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

I wouldnt put the Micro Terror into the same catagory as the battery powered amps.its a little beast.one tube pre amp and solid state power amp.15 or 20 watts.i dont remember.plus im at work.its not much bigger than a stomp box.

Bettyboo likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Orange makes a 3 watt battery job. The Micro Crush PIX
    Its a BLAST, but certainly no match for Goos Micro Crush Head
    [​IMG]

6. Bettyboo

^ how many amps you got????????????????????????????????????????? You know you've gotten carried away, right, you do know that... :cool:

7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

7 thats hardly getting started round these parts lol

Biddlin and Bettyboo like this.
  8. Bettyboo

Reminds me of a Pixies song for some reason...

The Fly does play a lot lot better than the other little amps, imho. Although, the $30 amplug through my Beats Pill sounds better than a couple of 10w practice amps I've owned, and no I won't mention Marshall or Fender.

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Exactly....The FLY does have a very FULL sound unlike the others.

Similar (but not as good) as my BOSE sound-doc station that thing is not much larger than these amps and literally can fill a WAREHOUSE with sound (I have used it in ouir print facility and it can be heard---well-- over the presses and commotion of production) and sometimes....when no one is home I plug the little Danelectro Honeytone into it------and WOW face melting.

10. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

All of the "small" amps I have are too big for the living room, so this Blackstar really appeals to me. My 5 watt Purple Wind is great at high volume, but even through its picayune cab is too loud for nighttime leisure playing.(And of course, it mimics a Plexi, talk about your one trick ponies...):naughty:
    [​IMG]
    ;>)/

Bettyboo likes this.
  11. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

12. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    My Valvetronic VT30 is great for this. It can play cranked at low volume (nighttime with neighbours), and make exactly the same sound at small club volume.

[​IMG]

13. Biddlin

[​IMG]
    Yeah, they "turn down" ok. Still a bit much for my small space, I'm afraid. Love it for small club gigs, though.
    ;>)/

eS.G. likes this.
  14. Huntroll

Huntroll Active Member

I've been looking for a used amp . . .

Would you take $10 for it ?

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

?? douche move??? well done.

16. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to hijack this thread but how many amps does everyone have? Everytime i look, Biddlin is showing another one of his beauties. I love it..and eS.G. is that a vox in your pocket or are you just happy to see us? :)

JohnnyGoo and eS.G. like this.
  17. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I have a Fender Twin Reverb red knob, A Valvetronix VT30, a Pignose and a general purpose hi fi amp that I use with a Line 6 Pod.

18. Biddlin

At least one less than we need.:cool:
    ;>)/

19. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

I had a little Blackstar HT-1 for a bit. First amp I bought when we came off tour and settled down after years on the road. I think I hadn't owned an amp in over 10 years - I'd been using amp sims, software and hardware, most of the time.

I loved the sound of the Blackstar but unfortunately, I had to trade it back because it had a weird noise issue. But I'd curious to try one again... Maybe bigger.

Since we've finally been approved for the green card and decided to buy the house here, I also started shopping for a serious amp. I decided that I'd stick with what I know works for me. I'm a Marshall man at heart, so I should be getting my Marshall DSL Head + 4x12 cab sometime this year.

In the mean time, I have my arsenal of practice amps/recording gear...

[​IMG]

Left to right:

Little Marshall MG15CFR. Does what I bought it for. I'm a sucker for Marshall type of sound, even in practice amps.
    Line 6 Spider IV 75. Fun to play, and nice to have all the effects onboard.
    Fender Frontman 25R. The counterpart of the little Marshall.
    (Under the Fender, my wife's practice bass amp.)
    Randall RVC 5W Tube amp. An unexpected perfect match for the Riviera w/ its 3 P90's.

On the floor - POD HD300. Used for DI recording. I also have an old POD 2 in a closet somewhere which I dig out sometimes because it has more mids.

Beer - The Trooper (Iron Maiden). :p

eS.G. likes this.
  20. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

"K" man HIJACK away its all part of the journey ----as a "flipper" stuff comes and goes, last month I had 10 amps.....but 3 have been "re-homed" now ---more may come and go, I have no rush to sell the Polytone ---it is too rare and too cool and we are damn near the same age---however EVERYTHING has a price and if someone where to hit that mark she would move on.

The Hartke Bass amp--- it is an excellent clean functional bit of kit, I don't see it leaving.
    The Fender Mustang II ---honestly --- its my work horse and my favorite of all.
    The "pocket amps" are a cheap and fun diversion, I still want to snag one of the little 57 Fender Twin versions (with REAL tweed) ......
    I have also found these little pocket amps have actually SAVED me money on some flips-----take one with you when you go to get a guitar in some dark alley or seedy parking lot and plug it in and see if it WORKS and (a favorite trick of mine ) turn the pots and switches and try and get them to make static scratchy/pop/ noises......that's always a good way to get a reduced price from unknowledgeable sellers. ;) NOW if I give away many more of my secrets I will have to kill you.

Rain likes this.