NAD Blackstar FLY 3

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by eS.G., Feb 13, 2015.

1. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

For the longest time i had a line 6 spider IV 75 watt modelling amp like Rain has...and a line 6 microspider... but i just traded in my spider IV for that Mesa Boogie Express

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

That's a MESA amp I ---TBTH ---had NEVER heard of a Mesa Boogie Express.......but now (damn it) I WANT ONE!!!!! Thanks "K" man......thanks a lot.

3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

That's a great start on a nice amp. When are you planning to buy the rest of the bits and in what order; maybe another knob (black?), then a speaker, maybe some components, a tube. It's a very good idea actually, doing it slowly may confuse the wife although the big box itself may be difficult to hide... :D

Complete rubbish!

At a bare minimum, I NEED: an AC4, an AC15, an AC30, a Fender Princeton and very large Messa Bogie or Bulgera.

Call that a secret??? I'm wearing my wife's pink silk panties as I write this - that's a secret!

peejaybee and eS.G. like this.
  4. Karathas

Its a pretty nice little amp. It has a small footprint but its heavy as heck. it has a switch at the back to change it to a Five watt class A amp, or a 30 watt class A/B. so its like having 2 amps in one...it breaks up well and you get the sounds your looking for at almost any volume. Seems to be very nice so far..its the old version i have..1x10 speakers.. the newer version is called an express plus and has an EQ and a 12 inch speaker. Its designed to be used in places like apartments..but i bet you could gig with it if you miked it

Rain likes this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Call that a secret??? I'm wearing my wife's pink silk panties as I write this - that's a secret!

BettyBoo------I am speechless

Karathas that sounds like an AWESOME AMP.......you have me looking for one and I don't even like tube amps :shock:

6. Sweetums

Sweetums Active Member

I've been looking for a little practice amp and had not even given the Blackstar Fly a look. Thanks to the great reviews here, I'll be on the lookout for one on sale. Much appreciated!

eS.G. likes this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

SWEET! Sweetums ;)

8. Bettyboo

Tell the truth, you're jealous, not speechless! :rofl:

Come on e.S.G. time to man up and get yeeself some liberating underwear; it'll help your hammer ons... :dude:

Gotta say that I'm liking the look of this:

[​IMG]

I want one, but I won't ever be able to afford/justify one - suppose I'll have to stick to semi-realistic dreams such as:

[​IMG]

& in the immediate future think how I can build up to the arguments with the wife when she sees a little baby Orange Terror head...

eS.G. likes this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You are assuming I wear any Boo.

Oh that Bugera is a fine looking beastie as well.

10. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Tada! My birthday is coming up soon. Maybe a couple of the rubber feet so it doesn't get too scratchy on the floor when it all starts to get more visible?

11. Karathas

I have to say one more thing about that amp I just got. My wife wasn't very happy i was getting a new amp. After i got it, I played the burn mode for her. She loves AC/DC, as soon as she heard it, her jaw dropped..never seen her do that before. Haven't had her complain about it since :)

12. Bettyboo

^ your playing must be an awful lot better than mine; my missus just scowls and asks me why I'm spending money on a hobby I have no talent for...

JohnnyGoo likes this.
  13. Bettyboo

OMG!!! My mind is full of horrible images; why would you do that to somebody??? :ohno:

They seem like great amps at decent money; nice sounds. I took some time looking at amps this afternoon, and there's a Bugera 5w that's a copy of a Blackstar, but good price and good features - liked it. But, but, even though I'm not a metaler, this Randall really struck me as nice:

[​IMG]

For around $250, hmmm, I wonder if I could justify that somehow in a couple of months rather than the $100 Orange head???

It sounds amazing:

Not a lot of clean, but enough, just... Ive a KH15 Randall, and it's better than a little Marshall I have.

Any love for Randall here?

I've been listening online to some Boogies too, and some of them sound really great.

14. Karathas

The more i look into boogies the more i like em.. and Randall Smith, never knew he had such an impact on music and amp architecture

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

What about.........Altoids!? I hear they make a damn fine amp!

16. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

Hell eSG if you had a 3 pound coffee can you could make ur own Mesa Boogi

eS.G. likes this.
  17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I could certainly make a MESS-a sumthin

18. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

The Randall RVC combo I own is basically the same amp on the inside, minus the emulated out. It was a Guitar Center exclusive run, and I grabbed it for $199 last year.

I love metal but that's not just what I play these days - more rockabilly, classic rock and such.

The biggest surprise I've had is when I hooked up my Epiphone Riviera into that little guy - I've rarely heard such a perfect match. Those two together gave me the best blues/rock tone I've ever had.

[​IMG]

Obviously, the controls are very basic, though that TSS switch gives you pretty different starting points. The Treble knob I barely ever touch or move past 1 1/2 or 2 because the amp is already very bright-sounding to my ears.

I was planning on buying a cab for it because, at least for recording, I prefer a couple of 12" to a single "10 (though I've successfully tracked a couple of things w/ it as is), but w/ the Marshall coming in, my plans have changed a bit. :)

Bettyboo likes this.
  19. Bettyboo

Can you send the baby Randall over to Korea, I'll pay the postage. Friend for life you are... :cheers:

Rain likes this.
  20. Bettyboo

Anybody got a HotOne? There's the AC30, Marshall Plexi and Mesa Rectifier versions - all are affordable. I thought the Orange Tiny Terror would be better as it has a tube preamp which'll be nice to drive with distortion pedals, but have read that folks who've had both prefer the Hotone, and that it takes pedals really well (has it's own loop). Hmmm... Anyone have experience of these tiny heads?