NAD Blackstar FLY 3

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by eS.G., Feb 13, 2015.

1. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

OK, I've ordered me up one of these:

[​IMG]

I hope it's as good as the OP says; cost 59 Euro. It's so small that I hope the wife won't notice it...

Biddlin and eS.G. like this.
  2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

You are gonna like it.......I have 7 to chose from ........in the same room.......I keep a chord plugged into the Blackstar.....all the time.....not the others... Its really a blast and the sound is excellent for low volume practice/playing -----If you don't like it, send it to me I will do a stereo effect with them lol

3. Bettyboo

^ I think you're right (not about sending it to you...).

The missus has stolen my Beats Pill to plug into her laptop as she's always online singing away... Thus, I will just tell her the Fly is a cheap speaker for my laptop. Oh, and I can also plug the guitar into it.... :D

What really got me was: 1) your reviews against the other small amps (the Fly just makes sense at the price); 2) I was looking at getting a small delay or reverb pedal, and even a EHX Toy costs more than the Fly - why not kill 2 birds with one stone??? There's a geetar club for useless playes such as me just starting locally, so the Fly will just pop in the gig bag and we're sorted!

The missus is gonna freak out when she sees the Big Muff Pii and the speaker on me desk... :( I wonder how the Fly will take pedals? There seems like a nice clean channel that can be turned to just breaking up a but, so an overdrive/distortion might just take me from there to where I wanna go...

Thanks OP.

4. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I think you will really like it and I think others had great results with pedals. However --for me anyway--
    the delay, the 2 amp models (British and American) and the built in gain/distortion (like 4 pedals included with 59.00 purchase price) are more than enough to give me many tones. And the clean....with a TOUCH of gain, and delay......you can get a nice twin speaker chorus-ish sound out of it (similar to my Polytone) but not as full as a 120 watt dual 12" speaker beastie----but damn close enough for something I can take to the office. :)

5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Yeah, those little Micro Terrors have HUGE BALLS. When I was shopping all the little modeling amps and hybrids, the Micro had gobs of headroom over the others. But, its 20w versus the 3 - 5 watt jobs of most of these little new small amps.

Plus, you throw that tube socket in there and another huge volume boost. The 15 watts of my Tweaker, will lay waste to the 12 watts of my Lead 12 (SS) Marshall.

About the only amp, I can really use playing through the speakers, not headphones and not have people complain, is the THR and its little 3.5" speakers.

With my heads and the WGS 60 watt loaded cabs, I can't play either of them, above 1 without pissing someone off.

6. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

I got to try one out at GC and I wound up taking one home! I really like the way the way the delay works on it. It really adds to the tone big time. I'm on a list with Sweetwater to get the funky power supply for it, when they get another shipment. It is not your usually nine volt supply with negative tip. It is tip positive 6.5 volts. It gets a rectified 1.5 amps. I did not want to get cute with trying to jimmie something and smoke this cool little amp. I've had power supplies smoke portable cd players before. It would be a shame to hurt this thing. It is one of the best toy battery amps I've ever heard. Most of them all have a cool sound to them but, this one has the least transistor radio factor to the tone.

Bettyboo likes this.
  7. CATMANDUE

You won't be sorry bro! These are deluxe!

8. Bettyboo

Joined the club today! Been playing most of the afternoon - very nice. I haven't really got to terms with any of the sound nuances yet, just the 2 basic channels. Its gonna be perfect for throwing in the gigbag and taking out and about - got a few friends who play locally and a basement at work which is empty when I'm working evenings.

Surprisingly small and sturdy, has plenty of volume and depth to it. :dude:

9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Told ya so ;)

Congrats man.

Bettyboo likes this.
  10. Ivan S Gee

Ivan S Gee Active Member

After reading all the glowing reports on here and in the press, i thought i'd pull the trigger on a Fly 3. The HT1R-H i have is awesome but i was struggling to justify the Fly 3 purchase so i decided to back off the Fly and thought it too much of a luxury. The following day, my copy of Guitar & Bass flopped on the doormat and i had a quick flick through. They are offering a years subscription with a Fly 3 as an introductory gift! I'm a subscriber anyway so i phoned up, changed my subscription and BAM, i have a Fly coming my way. Subscription = £39.99 (£3 more than i was paying). Fly3 RRP is £49.99 so i picked it up £10 cheaper and got 13 magazines free!

eS.G. likes this.
  11. Bettyboo

Great deal, Ivan.

eS.G. likes this.
  12. CATMANDUE

I just got the Blackstar power supply yesterday for the Fly 3. It is one of those detachable cord transformer type, not too big big, longer and thin sort of like a lap top issue. I plugged it in and got power on the amp but, I have not played through it yet. I was tripping on something else. I will fire it up later. My wah sounds good through the Fly 3 as will. I was messing with that the other day. I going to put a tube powered pedal through it later with the wah to see what kind of crazy sound I can get out of it. I'm very impressed by both the tone and simple use of the tape delay on this unit. I'm surprised more people have not commented on this. The tone is very deep as well like Bettyboo mentioned on here. Killer little amp. Even though it is a toy type amp, it is very well built and delivers like it is suppose to.

13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I like mine VERY much. of all the "toy" amps it is by far the best. However the VOX has more features and (of course) nails the VOX tone....both 3 watts but the VOX has a larger speaker. And because of this I really don't consider it in the same class as the "toy" or pocket amps.
    [​IMG]

14. CATMANDUE

I bet the Vox totally rocks. I've never seen one of those in the store yet. I will have to throw out an eyeball and, maybe ask about it.

15. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

It has a ton of features....effects....built in amp models etc. Great kit for the $

16. Bettyboo

The Vox is far better imho, but it's a proper amp - whatever that means... It's the Vox Mini 3 (which seems to be a little portable busking machine) and they're over $100, here's a link to have a looksee:

http://www.guitarmall.net/product/product_detail.asp?product_num=12502&code1=14&code2=&code3=

I would have bought one if my missus was more reasonable; she forces me to be creative, so I ended up buying a small laptop 'speaker' which my guitar can plug into because she uses my Beats Pill all the time! :D

eS.G. I haven't compared head to head, but would imagine the Vox mini3 is in a different league entirely to the Fly, how do you find they compare? Different units for different purposes, of course.

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Basically yes different for different. And you can get the VOX mini3 for under 100 used (as I did 79.00 to be exact)
    Tone is fuller and richer it is more in a class with the Fender Mustang I than the Blackstar.

As stated with the amp models and built in effects you can get a very very very wide range of tones out of the VOX you can not get from the Blackstar.

Bettyboo likes this.