NAD? Considering to move from Valvetronix to Katana

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Worblehat, Feb 28, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

As guitarists we tend to get overly pedantic about our tone while most people around us don't hear any difference in our little tweaks. The drummer I play with thinks everything I do sounds the same. :facepalm:

So it's probably not worth spending too much time worrying about these things. But, if you're dissatisfied with the sound of your gear then you'll most likely practice less and eventually give it up altogether. I think one of the main reasons people quit playing is due to the crappy sound they get from their little "beginners" amp. If it's uninspiring then you just won't be interested.

Col Mustard, DrBGood and Worblehat like this.
  2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

I 100% agree! This is the reason I quickly upgraded from the Blackstar Fly 3 to the VT20X in the beginning. I was so unsatisfied with the tiny Blackstar that I often played unplugged.

Today I had the opposite experience: I began to learn a ZZ Top song that I like and it was actually easier than I expected. Then I sat down with Boss ToneStudio and dialed in a sound for the song on the Katana. It took only a few minutes to get a tone that is closer to the recording than I thought I would ever get. That was a huge motivation and I happily jammed along for quite some time forgetting everything around me. I start to love this amp...

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

This is what so many long-time players don't understand about modeling amps - there's so much inspiration hiding in them. Even now, I love them. Just got a Boss GT-1 module (which uses a lot of the same tech as the Katana), and I find myself playing in different ways and trying new things. Don't get me wrong - I like the sound of plugging straight into my Marshall best of all, but playing with various amp and effects models is just a ton of fun and really inspiring.

Plus, tech has come a long way. Amps like the Katana and Valvetronix are just stupid good value for money.

Worblehat and DrBGood like this.
  4. Worblehat

I just had to try the Marshall MG15GFX I mentioned above. Its simplicity (no app/software!) compared to complex modelling amps admittedly appeals to me!

[​IMG]

I like it! This is a great practice amp in my opinion for a really good price (130€). The clean, crunch and OD-1 channel sound very good to me. The OD-2 channel and some of the digital effects not so much. For a Marshall tone at low volume it is a great choice. And those 15 Watt can get way louder than I expected. I also love the look and the front mounted control panel.

Anyway...I guess I am already settled for the Katana. So this was just for fun and to make sure the Katana's additional 170€ are worth it (which I think they are). But if I am ever in need of another inexpensive practice amp, I will remember this little Marshall...

Attached Files:

5. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

After reading the responses I suggest the OP find a Fender Mustang V.2 amp, the III is a good size combo. I dont know how the speaker is but I have the V (head) and it works great for tones, effects and recording.

The VOX VT+ or VTx are amazing amps when you take the back panel off and replace the speaker, older ADVT are awesome values aswell. I want to modify my VT20+ more to have a couple jacks for recording and powering a speaker cab.

Worblehat likes this.
  6. Worblehat

For now I settled on the Katana 100 and I am very happy with it. I sold the Vox for a good price. I would really like to try a Fender Mustang V.2. Unfortunately the Mustang I V2 (the smallest model) is the only one that is still in stock at retailers as the successor, the Mustang GT40, is out. The GT40 looks interesting feature-wise but I heard/read a lot of bad things about its stereo speaker.

Lunacy the Faded and fos1 like this.
  7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Well ... the Katana didn't survive the standoff with the Vox. Just got evicted.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  8. Worblehat

Good for you! We should have just swapped our amps. I am still very happy I got the Katana and sold my Vox :)

9. DrBGood

Yeah ... funny eh ?

But I've had a VT20+ before and it didn't do it for me. Same with AD30VT and AD50VT. The AD60VT is in another league.

Out of curiosity, what are your settings of choice on the Katana.

10. Worblehat

I am on the crunch channel most of the time (practicing blues/rock/hard rock stuff). With the Vox I always switched between the amp models and tried to emulate specific tones of songs I played. With the Katana I stopped doing this. I just stay on the crunch channel which gives a solid sound by default and gets me close enough for most songs. With my high output pickups (Gibson Iommi Pickups) the crunch channel can even get me into high gain territoy.
    I always start with Preamp-Volume and EQ all on 10 and dial back if needed. I am also trying to get used to the build-in boost effects (clean, mid, trebble...).

That beeing said, keep in mind that I am probably have lower standards when it comes to guitar tone compared to other people here... in the end I haven't played a whole lot of amps before.

11. DrBGood

That's OK.
    I see why you like the amp though. Most people that like it are mostly at either ends of the spectrum. They love it for its cleans or OD/gain/disto stuff. The in-between doesn't often get mentionned. That middle ground light crunch where you are at the edge of tube breakup, wasn't convincing. For me, that is its Achilles Heel.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    Worblehat likes this.
  12. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I think this whole exchange is quite interesting.

IMHO it doesn't mean that either the Vox series or the Katana amps are bad.
    It just means that... lucky us... we have a lot of choices, and we have the
    opportunity to turn our fantasies into preferences.

I'm sure I would love having a Katana, probably the fifty would do for me
    but the hundred sounds extra cool. But I'm happy with what I have now.

Worblehat likes this.
  13. DrBGood

14. Beery Swine

Beery Swine Member

I have a Vox VT-20+ and a Mesa/Boogie Mark IVa combo. Was considering one of the new VTs with a 12" speaker, but that doesn't mean I plan on ditching the 20+. Unless you're really starving for more space, I don't see why you'd switch rather than add. At some point I'd also like to get a 2x12 rectifier cab, but that doesn't mean I'm just gonna take the 12" speaker out of my Mark IV, does it?

15. Worblehat

If you are happy with adding rather than switching that's fine. I am not. The Katana has so much options that it can do everything I need. So I see no point in having a second amp. I just sold my Focusrite audio interface and two of my three pedals (only keeping a looper) because the Katana has it all built in and that's enough for me. I am only considerung to get the Katana Footswitch or at some point a multi-effects pedal like the GT-100 for convinience as I don't like to use software on my PC to adjust effects.
    In the end I just hate to have stuff lying around that I don't use/need (not only relating to guitar gear). It makes me disconent and unfocused. Took a long time to realise this.

But no offense intended to anyone who is collecting a lot of gear. As long as you are happy with it and (hopefully) use it all, more power to you!