NAD! If it rattles is time for a new one.

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DFLCC, Feb 16, 2017.

1. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Not to long ago I bought a Fender Blues Deluxe. I was super impressed with the quality of the sound and the amazing tone that can be obtained from it. Not to mention the great reverb for which this amps are known for. Then it started To rattle at certain frequencies and I started to get concern. I Tested the tubes and they check good. I found that one of the 12AX7 have been replaced with an ECC 83. Not worrie it is a direct replacement and it checked good. I was getting upset. I started to look for possibilities and it seems to me that it was mor pronounced at higher volume. This pointed me to te speaker. I temporarily replaced it with the speaker from my Blues jr and it checked good. I got more upset and frustrated but them remember I had 45 days to return it, so I drove down to GC. The people at GC did not even care. They were quick to provide me with a choice, they did not have other use one but either return my money or I could pay the difference and walk out with a brand new one. No only that but they knocked off $100 of the new one, so I payed an additional $108 with taxes and off I went. Hey! It was cheaper to upgrade to a new one than buying a new Celestion speaker. A yeah and I was happy again.
    image.jpg
    This amp does not need further review. It is just great, with a superb clean channel and nice over drive channel. Great amp for Jazz, Blues, Rock and Classic Rock. It is pedal friendly. This amp was built on Nov 2016. The tweed cover is slightly darker than my previous one. A plus if you ask me, as it will hide the dirt better than the old one. The foot controller it's different than the previous version too.

The old one
    IMG_1464.JPG
    Different tweet color and the peda whatcha is slightly visible to the left notice the difference .

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

And no rattle I guess ... hope it doesn't go that way down the road. Was the first one old ?
    It almost smell good from the picture :cool:

3. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

Yes no rattle at all. The old one was built in may 2015. Not that old but guess it got some abuse before I got it.

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

A lot of tubes develop rattle over time in a combo amp (and still work fine), so it could eventually develop the same "problem" but you got such a great deal I would have definintely done the same thing.

5. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Mine had the same issue - turned out to be the grid resistors.

Switched to a Mesa Boogie IIB but I still wish I had the Alinco speaker from my Fender

6. ivan H

ivan H Well-Known Member

Gball is on the money, even power tubes often develop rattle in a combo type amp, from being in close proximity to the speaker. Nothing to worry about. Oh, ECC83 used to be the European designation for a 12AX7, same tube. Cheers

7. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Great amp, i had one in about '94 and should have kept it.