NAD Laney Iommi 15W

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

A friend who I met on the BKP forums recommended this to me when I was musing about metal music and high-output pickups with him. "Get the pickups you want. Stop playing with a wimpy amp!", he said. The idea took root and I found myself unable to resist a true metal amp at the fraction of the size and volume of the industry standards of 6505/Triple Rec.

[​IMG]

I only got it yesterday so I won't do a full review yet, but I will say this.

When I first plugged in and played there were no fireworks as such, no silly grins, no weeping at the alter of Iommi. Everything worked and all of my criteria were met. Thumbs up. Later I returned to give it a proper session. Half an hour later and my wrists were shot, my blood pumping, sweat pouring off my body having just played the most intense, aggressive, LOUDEST session I've ever played. Everything just poured out with a ferocity unknown to me and I was playing on the 15W setting not giving a rat's arse! I hear of and understand good guitars making you play better (have experienced this myself), but I was unprepared for how much a good amp can make a difference. The fact that it didn't overexcite me at the beginning meant this synergy took me unawares.

Unsurprisingly, my black SG with P90s loves the new Laney. The amp was even "baptised with blood" like my SG was, as somehow I managed to cut myself when unpacking it. Look at them, match made in... hell.

[​IMG]

A few things I can tell without having had much playtime yet:
    It's brighter and more versatile than all the Youtube videos would have you believe.
    The 1W setting is still very loud.
    It has a shedload of gain.
    It looks awesome!

This thing is so metal that now the whole room literally smells of metal. :dude: (must be the grille plate)

Karathas, Bettyboo, lunchbox and 13 others like this.
  2. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Very nice Anita! I am assuming with the adjustable output that it is a tube amp?
    The adjustable output is one thing that I wish my Ibanez has... Even at a measly 5W it is still bloody loud!

milesdeem and Heket like this.
  3. Markm

Markm Active Member

Nice!
    I really dig all these low wattage amp options we have these days. And that one looks like a winner!

milesdeem and Heket like this.
  4. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Sweet..being an Iommi, does it have the built in Rangemaster? I'm guessing that what the preboost may be..

I saw Sabbath this summer..fourth row,,Tony looked me dead in the eye and threw me the pick he used to play INTO THE VOID...I have been blessed!!:dude::dude::dude:

Heket likes this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Looks great. I thought it was top-mounted controls, but you can look at this one straight on! You need some sort of black altar for those two!

Heket likes this.
  6. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

Clips!

mdubya likes this.
  7. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Heket, Mistress of the black arts? That is an amazing looking combo!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! I bet those p-90's really scream through that thing!

Watched a couple youtube vids on this amp (as I hadn't heard of it---sorry un washed mass that I am) that is a wicked little beastie for sure.:dude::dude:

Heket likes this.
  8. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Yes, it's tube. Preamp is 3 x ECC83 and output is 2 x EL84. The option for 1W is a great thing to have because I can have a taste of proper power amp drive of the clean channel. If that's your thing then that's very useful. I don't think the 15W setting at above 1 o'clock on the volume setting would be as forgiving :ohno: I wouldn't say the 1W setting has *exactly* the same tone, but it's very very similar. I do, however, prefer playing on the 15W setting with the volume turned down a notch. I still have to wear in the speaker too, so that might affect tone/volume later on.

I don't know what that is! I search for Rangemaster and I get cookers :dunno: I dunno, maybe you can cook on the valves :D

Thanks! I certainly am a mistress of the black arts now! The P90s make the best of this amp. The ceramic pickup in my other SG is good but has an edge too much high end and is more focussed. The P90s are fuller and, yes, louder. But now I have desperate need for a noise gate! Now I remember, I haven't tried my strat-like-objects in this new amp yet. Better go give that a shot!

Clips will have to wait as I want to use a mic rather than using the DI and, as a novice at recording, that takes a lot of fiddling about. I've just been out in the sun all day and am far too laid back to get all picky about recording!

And yes Biddlin, everything is at the front, which keeps it cleaner too. A black altar, that sounds interesting... what other gear could I put on there? :hmm: Well these two certainly satisfy the darker part of my soul.

I forgot to mention, with the amp came one of the little crosses that was stamped out of the grill of Iommi's touring rig, that was a nice little touch.

Biddlin and eS.G. like this.
  9. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

No, I don't believe there's a treble boost built into the preamp of this amp.

If you want that classic early Iommi tone, you're definitely going to need some reverb.

@Heket: Splurge on an ISP Decimator. You won't regret it. Also, have you looked into a Heil PR20 mic? Pricewise there about the same a SM57, but I like the sound of the Heil a lot more.

Heket likes this.
  10. Kris Ford

11. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

Congrat's Heket! I bet that thing is a beast, probably all of the amp that you would ever need...1watt, 15watts, headphone out that silences, convenient speaker cab output for different cab sizes etc... Being a Laney TI sig amp, i imagine, it should have a good variety of sounds on tap. A perfect companion for your SGs... Keep at getting that speaker broken-in!:dude::applause:
    Now i'm gassin' for one of these again...

Tazz3 and Heket like this.
  12. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

"This thing is so metal that now the whole room literally smells of metal. (must be the grille plate)"

Or the blood?

Tazz3 and Heket like this.
  13. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new Laney......

Heket likes this.
  14. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Congrats, Heket!

Heket likes this.
  15. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Thanks all! I have tried it out with my other guitars and it suits them all. Sounds good being bluesy with some single coil snap and going for classic rock with the 490T.

Howver, now I notice that my P90s hum an awful lot more than the other singles I have, and it's a definite hum, not a buzz. It's very loud. Anything I can check to see if there's any issues in wiring/grounding? It doesn't change if I touch the strings.

I'm taking all suggestions for noise gates! I'll have a look at the Decimator. What makes a good noise gate, what should I be looking for?

The mic I have is a Sennheiser SM58 'copy' and i haven't used it much yet so I'll stick with that for now. Thanks for the suggestion though!

16. Gemini75

Gemini75 Active Member

The ISP Decimator is the industry standard for noise gates. Hence the steep price.

P90s are going to hum and give you a lot more feedback at volume. Don't really think there's any way of getting around that.

As for mics, I'd love t get a 421, but can't afford one atm.

Am really looking forward to hearing some clips. The ones I have heard have all sounded really good so far.

17. thatbastarddon

thatbastarddon Well-Known Member

The solder joint, circled in red, in the following photo was the cause of excessive hum in my Special 60s tribute:

[​IMG]

A little re-work(i re-flowed, and added a bit of solder) quieted it down considerably...it only hums at a normal level for a p90 guitar now. :)
    A finger pressing against the solder joint, and the pot at the same time(with the guitar plugged in to a running amp at low volume, with moderate to high gain setting) gave the issue away quickly.

Re: noisegates... I prefer a noise gate that has seperate attack, and release threshold settings. The Boss NS2 pedal has them. I believe the higher end Decimator pedals have them. The entry level Decimator pedals do get raves though...so perhaps the attack/release set up is somehow optimal for most set up scenarios.:dunno:

Attached Files:

Heket likes this.
  18. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your new amp!. Welcome to the wonderful world of all tube (valve) amplification. It really does make a difference not only in sound but in responsiveness to your attack. I was talking with my non musician friend yesterday and he's into cars. I used a car analogy to describe the difference between tube and solid state.
    Solid state is fun and can do the job. It's like driving a Chevy Nova with a big block engine. It can go real fast but doesn't handle well and it's not going to stop too quickly.
    A good tube amp is like a Ferrari. It goes fast and it is very sensitive to your driving style. If you are a really good driver the Ferrari will help you be even better!
    DISCLAIMER: I Shreddy Bender have never driven a Ferrari or a big block Nova!:)

Karathas, Heket and eS.G. like this.
  19. Markm

Markm Active Member

The Decimator is a bit expensive , but well worth it. When I was playing high gain with p90s it kept my rig dead quiet and didn't effect the overall tone.

Heket likes this.
  20. Kris Ford

No surprise that the BS lead free F'n garbage solder that the company formally known as Gibson uses failed...just unacceptable at any level...when I used to buy new guitars from them (has been since Jan of '06.. they went lead free solder later in the year..) the VERY first thing I'd do was pull out those crappy electronics..and get some tight spec'd 500K audio taper CTS pots and rewire the damn thing PROPERLY...with 60/40 leaded solder...even the "Custom Shop" stuff is crap..tolerances are all over the place..HUGE, and I mean night and day difference in tone..they actually open up the pickups quite a bit..won't get into the whole capacitor debate, I actually like ceramic discs, but you'd be surprised..highly recommend a potentiometer change before considering new pick ups..I myself have decided it's vintage or NORLIN ONLY, the new ones just don't compare..even Historics..
    Rant complete.:naughty: