NAD Laney Iommi 15W

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 9, 2014.

1. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I was thinking what don said.

2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

This review takes awhile, but it is a pretty nice demo of the amp.

Appropriately, they've used an SG for the instrument.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlDS1h_IrUg[/ame]

3. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout New Member

I have this amp as well, and think it is great. I only use the 1 watt setting, but think it sounds great even with that setting. Definitely no cleans, but that is o.k., I have other amps for that.

4. Dreamscape

Dreamscape Active Member

I used to be a fan of Chappers but after following him on Facebook for a while I have gone off the guy, he is so far into himself. He can play a guitar though! But all of the vibrato he puts into Iommi's solos just sounds wrong though. I have to say the Ibby sounded sweet through that amp also.
    Definately a beast of an amp, love it. PUT IT ON THE LIST :dude:

5. Tazz3

Tazz3 Active Member

Nice amp congrats, I will put this on my list lol how does this amp sound clean with no gain.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  6. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Clean? No gain? This ain't the amp for that :p It doesn't even have a clean channel. You can just about get some clean tones if you turn the gain down to minimum or use low-output pickups, but I'm not keen on how it sounds.

dbb, Karathas and mdubya like this.
  7. Karathas

Karathas Well-Known Member

That amp should have spikes sticking out of it...BADASS! Not your daddy's fender..No clean...all mean!!!

8. makatech

makatech New Member

Cool, I have been looking for a forum discussing the TI15-112 amp and it's not easy to find... somewhat surprising, couldn't even find a good "living" discussion in the The Laney Posse Guitar & Bass Amplifier Forum... This post will almost be the same as one I posted in the Laney forum.

I'm a beginner, bought one used recently for me and my daughter, giving £126 (couldn't resist) and I like it. I guess the price is on it's way down, two Internet sites in Scandinavia selling them new for about £180 now. It's our first real valve amp and it has a better feel and sound than the other amps we have been using, making practice more fun but also more difficult keeping the volume down. ;-) (we are living in an apartment)

The headphone out jack is also very convenient and not very common on valve amps? It doesn't sound great but ok for nightly practice sessions.

The lack of headroom for clean is not an issue for me so far but I am keeping my Vox VT30 (we need more than one amp anyway). In general I don't feel limited about this one channel amp at all, it's flexible enough for my kind of music (I hope).

I do find it noisy at higher volumes and gain levels but since I usually keep the volume down on this beast it's not a big issue. It's most probably not because of hours guitars, don't know yet if it's something with my amp, the electrical jack or it's wiring. I read a good review at bonedo.de also complaining about high noice (at least when gain is up).

Questions: The difference between the 15W and <1W jack is not very big volume wise, you guys have the same experience?

It would be cool if you could share some favorite settings but I'm aware of that it may sound very different for different types of guitars and pickups.

Since this is my first valve amp I'm also a little bit confused about how best using the volume control on valve amps in general for achieving different typs of sounds. If I understand it correctly some experience with higher level on volume on the amp but lower the volume control on the guitar instead? Since the amp is noisy I would prefer keeping the volume on the amp down but I'm wondering if this will limit the possible sounds?

We have a Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Pro and a Fender Strat MiM HSS.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  9. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Link please, I will order one at that price! :D

10. makatech

makatech New Member

Hmmm, I may have done a typo, the price is in GBP, £180 not US dollars and I used a currency conversation site converting from Swedish kronors (SEK), should be approximately £180 though, at least for the Swedish site. The value of the Norweigan krona is higher than the Swedish krona... anyway. ;-)

Shop in Gothenburg, Sweden:
    http://www.musik-verkstan.se/showProduct.aspx?c1=1000&c2=1016&c3=1227&id=16608

I believe this is from Norway:
    http://rebelmusic.no/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_14_190&products_id=4132

It's kind of strange though with the huge difference in price between those sites and thomann.de among other.

I don't take any responsibility for these sites, I have no idea if it's some kind of B selection but I don't think so, found them on a price comparison site in Sweden (www.prisjakt.nu).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Bettyboo likes this.
  11. Bettyboo

That's still half-price for a great amp! Thanks for the link.

eS.G. likes this.
  12. Bettyboo

I need to stop watching these videos...

& there's just no clean on her, so she's the same as me baby Randall (as I'd almost always be running the 1w input 'channel').

13. makatech

makatech New Member

There is clean if you lower the drive and increase the volume but not much headroom, maybe other owners like Heket in this thread can give you some input too.

As I wrote earlier I'm a beginner but the clean was definately better than I thought after reading some reviews on the Internet. The amp was much more versatile and flexibel in general that I thought from the beginning but of course you don't buy a Tony Iommi signature amp for it's clean tones. ;-)

If you really watch all TI15-112 reviews on youtube you should find some with clean tones.

Like I wrote in my first post, the most negative for me so far is the noise level at higher volumes and I'm curious to hear what other owners say about this. This is my first real valve amp though and I'm not sure what to expect really. It's pretty common using noise reduction pedals etc for valve amps?

Since it's a powerful amp and I only practice in my apartment I usually have no problem with the noise though since using low volume. Perhaps the noise level will be even better if I use the 15W jack instead, not sure.

Bettyboo likes this.
  14. Paully

Paully Active Member

Sweet looking amp and guitar.
    Love to hear a clip.
    I don't play Metal but I'm a huge Metal fan. Love the sound of a genuine Metal band driving one out.
    So, again clips please.
    :bowdown: Mistress of the Dark Arts.

Heket likes this.
  15. Bettyboo

Thanks for your feedback.

The thing is that there's clean and then there's clean (I know that doesn't make much sense... :D). I suspect that the Laney (on 1 watt mode) is virtually identical to my 1w Randall diavlo insomuchas you can find a little bit of clean - but it's clean with grit; any type of OD, even my Soul Food with the gain at zero, drives you into significant OD, so you're struggling to use an OD and/or distortion pedal to make the amp a 'two channel amp'. Even the Soul Food on 50% gain isn't noticed by the Randall on clean (I reckon the Laney will act in a similar way), and the tone is so good (as per this Laney) that OD/distortion pedals can't improve it...

Thanks for the price info, and I'm really tempted to buy one at that price and just get it sent to England for when I return home, but I really need an amp with a very clean channel. But, at that price, it's actually cheaper than my 1w Randall with an 8"speaker, but you get the 15w option and 12" speaker, so that's incredible value!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    makatech likes this.
  16. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I suspect you can get that warmish Sabbath 'clean' from it. Perhaps not as clean as you want.

It is very common for amps with a high gain 'lead channel' like a Peavey 5150/6505 series or a Mesa Recto. ISP make very good noise suppressors. Most players with the high-gain Peaveys use an ISP Decimator (either standard or G-String) or a Boss NS-2.

I heard the throaty roar of my 6534+ lead channel with the pre-gain on 4 and the post-gain on 3 today when testing it at home for 5-10 minutes when everyone was out. My bandmates don't let me turn the post up that high in practice as it drowns everyone else out, including the drummer. :D

makatech likes this.
  17. makatech

makatech New Member

Dave_Death: Thanks for your reply, I assume that the TI15-112 is a true high gain amp as well but as I wrote the noise level on lower volumes are fine so I will try to relax and enjoy it, at least for now. ;-)

Bettyboo: This is our first valve amp and unfortunately I have no experiences in pedals at all. Interesting about your scenario with adding an OD pedal to a high gain amp like the Randall. Yes, I assume we would get exactly the same scenario on the Laney TI15-112. ;-)

In the future it would be fun trying some pedals on the amp though, to see what kind of sounds I would get. I assume a reverb/delay pedal could be a good choice since the amp doesn't have reverb. I need to read some articles and watch some youtube videos in order to get a better understanding on pedals and what to expect.

Me and my daughter are beginners though and first we need to focus on learning how to play. hehe

I'm afraid of writing this but yesterday we sold our beautiful cherry Epiphone Limited Edition 1966 G-400 Pro. My daughter is a Curt Cobain fan and instead we will buy a used Fender Jaguar Blacktop HH (black color), kind of switching guitars... This Jaguar model differs dramatically to orginal specs vintage Fender Jaguars but we will give it a try, the Blacktop HH should be good a rock guitar and should keep intonation better than vintage type Jaguars. We will keep our other guitar, a Fender Strat MiM HSS because we need two. It's so much fun trying different type of guitars, I have to avoid these sites even if we are doing pretty good deals money wise. ;-)

Hmmm, what's the name of the song he starts playing att 4:02?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    Bettyboo likes this.
  18. Bettyboo

There's probably a reason why high gain amps don't have reverb/delay - it doesn't sound very good... :D Obviously, that's not true insomuchas any sounds you like are good sounds and many groups do high gain and time effects. With the Randall with everything as clean as I can get it, then the reverb and delay sound nice (to my ears) at halfway or less, as I turn the gain up (not even that much) the reverb has to be turned down or it sounds pretty bad (to my ears). As yet, I haven't found many mid/high gain settings where I use the delay at all. But, I'm no expert in this space, just finding stuff out; that madman of noise Davedeath would be able to explain this better, and I may well be talking nonsense here... :naughty: Reverb is nice with a clean sound and low OD, even on higher OD reverb enlarges the sound nicely as long as I turn the reverb down (at a quarter or less befor I even reach what I'd consider to be distortion).

That Jaguar looks great - hope you have many years enjoying her. :dude:

makatech likes this.
  19. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

The noise suppressors are used to get rid of a fizzy noise coming from high-gain preamps or from noisy pedals. If you are not experiencing either of these then you don't need one. Keep in mind though that some pedals you might be tempted to buy could introduce this problem. Noise problems on a pedal board usually come from a compressor, an active EQ, or overdrive/distortion. Noise problems can also come from a bad power supply, or can be transmitted from one pedal to another via a daisy chain. To check whether that is the case before investing in a noise suppressor you simply unplug the pedal from the power supply and use a battery instead. One reason why bigger pedals with a battery compartment can be better than the mini pedals by Mooer etc. Whichever pedals you might buy in the future be sure to do some internet searches for reviews to see if they are considered noisy

Best of luck. I think you've bought a great amp and I'm pretty envious here in Australia, where they have only ever brought a handful of these into the country.

makatech likes this.
  20. makatech

makatech New Member

Thanks for your reply,

Regarding power supply and possible interferance because of electrical wiring in our apartment etc.

Do you know if they sell external power supplies filtering the connection? (kind of difficult for me explaining in English but I hope you get it)

Hmm, or perhaps something like an UPS for computers would work? ;-)