NAD Laney Iommi 15W

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Heket, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

Most of the problems come from cheap power supplies wearing out or noise from a pedal transferring between non-isolated outputs (e.g., on a cheap power supply or a daisy chain). Honestly it's probably not worth worrying about until you encounter it, and then it is a relatively easy fix (even if it involves spending a bit more money). Generally it involves buying a better power supply like a T-Rex Fuel Tank. A lot of people get by with One Spots etc

2. makatech

makatech New Member

Ok, I understand, I find this one pretty noisy without any pedals at all though but as I wrote it's no problem at lower apartment volumes, for now I will leave it as it is.

If buying a pedal later I may have to do something about it... ;-)

3. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

^ If it's anything like me Randall, then it might not play nice with many pedals - if you do get pedals and they work well, be sure to write a little thread on it.

4. makatech

makatech New Member

I'm pretty sure people have been using pedals successfully on the TI15-112 and I'll post some references when I find them.

Perhaps not OD pedals though, not sure, like you wrote it would maybe dist even on clean setting using an OD pedal. ;-)

Hmmm, this is not a pedal but in this video he connects a Line 6 AMPLIFi FX100 through the FX Loop on the amp.

5. Bettyboo

It's certainly a very nice amp indeed.

Upto this point, as I'm just doing idle home playing, I've not bothered to go through the effects loop yet; I really must get round to it... :D

6. makatech

makatech New Member

Thanks I hope so, I couldn't resist a used one for the price I got, especially not since I have been reading about this amp before. Of course not as flexible soundwise as the solid state or hybrid amps on the market now but I find it flexible enough and the feedback/response/sound in general feels slightly better which should be because of the fact it's a valve amp. The headphone out being a huge plus, otherwise I probably wouldn't have bought it.

Hmmm, and comparing this to a more clean sounding Fender type valve amp... maybe with a more clean sounding valve amp I would have wanted/needed to buy an od and/or dist pedal, something I won't have to do now.

Regarding pedals I heard from another forum that the TI15 works great with a Fuzz pedal but that was the only pedal he had been using with it.

7. Bettyboo

^ I'm not sure about Fuzz on this type of amp when 'clean' at apartment level volumes (certainly my 1w Randall sounds shite in that setup). But, with the power amp dimed and plenty of volume really pushing into OD/distortion then the fuzz should sound great on top of that (I just can't play at those volume levels at home, but sounds great at the studio in this setup...).

Here we go for some fuzzy inspiration (through a dimed Marshall?):

makatech likes this.
  8. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

Saw the death metal video demo of it right after this one. Freaking EVIL sounding... I LOVE IT! Do not, however, love the $500+ price tag on it... but I'm sure this amp is worth that much.

9. makatech

makatech New Member

;-) yeah, I have seen it too, not sure how he creates that sound though, I have no experience in these kind of setups. Is it the combination of the amp (and its's settings), the down tuned seven string guitar, Simon Custom Drive (a pedal?) and the DAW Cubase software?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. Metal89

Metal89 Well-Known Member

I don't have any experience with that amp either, but im sure some of it has to do with that pedal he has sitting on it. not sure what pedal it is though. Other than that, crank up the gain, add more bass, back up off the treble a bit. Maybe doing what I do in a DAW, basically copying the rythm track and pasting it so that it keeps the tone but just sounds more full and bigger? Who knows? lol

11. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Hey, didn't realise people were talking about my amp again :) I haven't done any recording with it but I will at some point in the near future (I hope). I'm currently looking for a 60s-70s rock tune that has easy to play rhythm guitar and would make a nice collaboration tune with my friend who can play some lead and electric drums and either him or I will play bass.

Makatech, I've already replied to you via PM, but in case anyone else is interested, I do find the amp noisy, especially with P90s. In fact, I find myself unable to play with P90s at high gain with this amp and that isn't always a problem with my other (albeit lower gain and less powerful) amps. I also don't have any effects pedals so I can't comment on that.

12. makatech

makatech New Member

I know this is a SG forum but I have to tell that this amp works really good with a Telecaster too and you have to try that just for fun because it's a great combination. A Telecaster (with single coils) gives the amp more headroom on clean and the amp has no problem making the Telecaster roar, it may be wise to turn down the tone though if you don't want a twangy disting sound.

ScottMarlowe and Bettyboo like this.
  13. ScottMarlowe

ScottMarlowe Well-Known Member

I think you'll find more than 1 or 2 tele lovers on this forum... Myself included.

How about this:

makatech likes this.