NAD: Marshall SC20C JCM 800 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Corporal Scratchy, Jun 22, 2019.

1. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

The actual New Amp Day was last Sunday, when I took ownership of a Marshall SC20C JCM 800 Combo. It was not cheap, a little under £1000 but putting it through its paces over the last few days has convinced/reassured me that this has been money well spent.

I’ve been a Marshall user for the last 30 years. In my gigging/recording period, it was JCM 900s and JCM 2000s in various permutations. When I quietened down (so to speak) and retreated into being a home player, I settled on a JCM 2000 DSL 401 combo. This did me very nicely until a change in financial circumstances obliged me to sell it along with much other gear :(

Greatly improved finances :smile: plus offers from bands to play with them got me thinking about getting another DSL 401; it was great sounding, versatile (3 foot-switchable channel options, reverb etc.) and very portable. There existed the opportunity to buy my old one but before doing so, I took a step back and looked at my real needs. These boiled down to only requiring a single channel (I’m a rhythm player, no lead stuff) and I require an over-driven sound but a limited one where individual note clarity remains when playing arpeggio/ picked chords.

The new SC20C delivers the sounds I want in spades. It is easy to “sweet spot” and once done, the sounds and tones are all I could ask for. The single channel is simplicity personified and I am now adept in setting/changing levels and tone using the controls on my guitar. The build quality is first class and it is as portable as I could wish for. Its ability to switch output from 20 watts to 5 works really well, preserving all the punch, presence and vibe of the amp firing at full throttle, but at a family-acceptable sound level.

To summarise then……

Marshall SC20C JCM 800 + SG Standard T = Loud Noises = Deep Joy!
    JCM 800.jpg

Dave, J.LaGrassa, syscokid and 5 others like this.
  2. DanB

DanB Active Member

Congrats on the purchase, your amp goes well with your guitar both in looks and in sound!

Corporal Scratchy likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Glad you like the new amp. Those new 20 watt Studio Marshalls seem nice. I need to check out the "Plexi" one soon.

4. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Thanks Dan

DanB likes this.
  5. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Go for it! Good luck; you may well like it but your wallet might not..... :smile:

DanB likes this.
  6. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I'll probably try the Marshall, like it, and then just buy a Laney. :thumb:

7. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Gibson and Marshall, man. They're just like peanut butter and chocolate... Happy NAD!!

+1 for the 40-watt DSLs!
    [​IMG]

8. Corporal Scratchy

Corporal Scratchy Member

Thanks.

The one thing I miss from my DSL which is not on the SC20C is the reverb facility. I solved this with a Boss RV-6 reverb pedal which is doing the job nicely.

Finally, SG Guitar + Marshall Combos = Great avatar photos!

Dave and Clifdawg like this.