NAD Origin 20H

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Epiphan, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

Well I've had this for a few weeks now and I am likeing the vintagey tones it puts out. I'm using it mostly with the 2x12 (MX cab with 70-80s) in the pic, but have also tried 1x12 Greenback and 1x12 V30 cabs. The greenback and 70-80s cabs sound surprisingly similar (thats a good similar), the V30 (Orange PPC112) sounds a little warmer overall. I should point out that this is at home volumes using the low power (.3 watt) setting. Contrary to what you might think it gets plenty loud at this power setting - certainly loud enough to be heard right through the house - but still sounds good when turned right down.

So why choose this particular model? I'd been gassing for a Class 5 head to do some mods on and sit on my 2x12cab. When the Origin was announced I thought it might well do the same job. This lives in my practice space so portability was not a concern. As I already had cabs and wanted the controls to the front (I'm sick of amps with the controls on top) a head was the obvious choice. For home, the power is switched down anyway so the 20 is plenty.

I'm really happy with this amp. IMO in its various guises it represents great value for money. Its not high gain in comparison with a DSL but gets all flavours of a nice crunch happening. The tilt and presence contols make it easy to dial in a general tone to suit whatever your playing through it, which can then be fine tuned with tonestack or guitar controls. The footswitchable gain boost is useful, although I find I tend to leave it on a lot! Generally I just plug straight in. I hope Marshall sells a bundle of these and it stays in the range for some time.

DSCF2354.JPG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    musicman2242, plankton and Logan like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I love my Origin. Mine's a 50 combo. I liked the pull boost and the tilt knob, so instead of saving up for a 1987x, I splurged on the combo. Now to save up for a 4x12.
    [​IMG]

ChrisM84, musicman2242 and Epiphan like this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've been contemplating that same exact setup. I want an EL34 Plexi sort of thing that can go from home practice use to small gigs. Lots of conflicting information online about this amp, so it's glad to hear that it sounds good at low volumes on the low watt setting through those seventy 80s.

I will of course be trying one out in person, but can you give me an idea of the gain range. Does it top off around an AC/DC sort of level without the boost or can it go a bit further?

4. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

@ Plankton, difficult to answer as so subjective. To me it probably tops out around a sort of ACDC early Sabbath type of level with the boost in. I have never had an original big plexi or JCM 800 to compare (did the Mesa Boogie thing instead) but If these had been available a few years ago I would not have spent $$$$ on a JTM1 50th anniversary.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

No worries, thanks for the feedback. I'm optimistic that it's going to do everything I want. Can't wait to give one a go myself.

Logan likes this.