NAD: the Next One

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Dec 6, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Got a Nextone Stage on Monday and I'm liking it. The tones are good to great, not amazing, and the feature set is exactly what I needed in another amp. This ones for grab and go jamming and quiet practice. I don't do any gigging, but I'm sure it would be fine.

Firstly what it's not,

It's not a Katana with heaps of options that are readily available, and it doesn't sound like a tube amp that costs 2 to 3 times more.

So what is it?

When used in standard mode it's a good sounding two channel solid state amp with tube amp-like response that has an adjustable output stage and built in boost, delay and reverb.

In custom mode, using the software, you can "design" your own two channel amp by mixing output stage type and tweaking EQ, bias and sag characteristics. You can select different boosts, reverbs, delays or tremolo and tweak their parameters. There's a nice bright/fat switch and tap tempo for the delay/tremolo.

I have my custom mode set up for a 6V6 Tweed sound on the clean channel, set just on the edge of breakup, and when I kick on the clean boost I get that nice almost-exploding Tweed sound. The lead channel is EL34 crunch set to AC/DC levels of gain. The treble boost pushes me into Sabbath territory.

I'm still waiting for the footswitch to arrive, but that will allow switching of channels, boost, bright/fat, delay/tremolo and fx loop. There's also jacks for a volume pedal and tap tempo switch.

I've been jamming with a drummer, and this will be perfect for that. With just a guitar, amp and footswitch I can get pretty much any tone I'd need.

I think this is an amp people are going to either love or hate, and until you play one you won't be sure which you are. For my purposes it's got a perfect layout and feature set. The tones are really good and it's a lightweight compact rig that I can have lots of fun with.

Dale, fos1, Worblehat and 1 other person like this.
  2. Chubbles

Chubbles Active Member

It's awesome when you get the right gear for the job!

plankton likes this.
  3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

One of the best honest reviews I've read about that amp. Thanks plankton.

plankton likes this.
  4. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I appreciate the honest and unbiased look at the amp. I need to try one out sometime, but... I feel like their price points are just a touch too high. I could see myself owning a Stage one day, but since the Artist is competing in some very contested space (Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall DSL40C, Blackstar HT Club 40 Mk. II), I just don't see where these offer a good value proposition.

The Boss Katana 100 still just offers up massive value for the money. I'd probably still rather spend my money on a head and cab before I plunked down that much change on a Nextone.

plankton and DrBGood like this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for posting. Apparently the nextone series is just announced right?

I'm in the market "according to the wife aka my boss" for a new amplifier "not for xmas" but for my birthday in April. Dang management has so many rules yikes!

At the moment I am thinking the Katana Artist is the winner. But NAMM 2019 is coming up soon.

If we get something announced at NAMM like Katana Artist 212 wow ok that's going to be the winner. I guess I want to see a review comparing Nextone Artist with Katana Artist.

But the controls on Katana Artist are on front. I dunno why the Nextone controls are not on front.

Congrats on the new amp!

6. plankton

Yeah the decision by Boss to offer both these amps is curious. The Artist has the same features as the Stage, just louder and a slightly bigger cabinet, and it's got a lot of competition at it's pricepoint.

The Stage however is in the same price range as a Fender SC X2, Marshall MG, Line 6 Spider V and Blackstar ID 30, and for me it offered much better tones and functionality than any of those.

7. plankton

Because they're on the top. :thumb:

Daniel.S and DrBGood like this.