NAD - Yamaha THR-10

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by GibsonKramer, Dec 15, 2014.

1. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Active Member

Not to be confused with the THR-10C (blues), or THR-10X (pure shred). The 10, is the most versatile of the bunch, imo. At least its geared towards what I play.

Wow, what a long strange journey to get to this amp. I have been through so many modeling, hybrid amps lately... Guitar Center is pretty sore with me. Especially, since it included them giving me back $130 today.

This past 2 months have seen a Blackstar ID:Core 20, Blackstar HT1GC (I would still have this, if it weren't a GC "exclusive" bare-bones), Blackstar ID:Core 40, Vox Valvetronix VT20+ and finally... a KEEPER... the Yamaha THR10 (after a short confusing period with the 10C).

The Blackstar honestly, if I didn't have my Flextone II, I would probably still own the 20 and would have stopped, for a while until some more $$$ came my way. But, I'd play it... mess around with their clever ISF control, be seemingly satisfied. Then plug into my Flextone and weep. The Line 6 (I'm not speaking for the Spider amps here) always sounds so full and truly has a tube sound, with a lot of useful sound/tone flexibility.

One of the things that's bugged me about the modeling (affordable) amps, I've experienced since I bought my first Line 6 (a Spider)... with a 3-band EQ, it has to be cut way back on the mids, or the guitars just get muddy and sound like crap, especially at volume. The guitar, is really a midrange instrument (at least coming from a former clarinet player). I should be able to crank mids and the guitar should sing. At least, that's my opinion. The Flextone II has tons of mids.

But, this isn't about that amp.

The HT1GC at almost $200 is a monumental rip-off, if you can grab it for $99 at MF, jump on it. A true tube amp, tons of tone and can power a 2x12, I believe. With the Les Paul, its "that sound". Cheap-made little sucker (wasn't much impressed with the build quality on any of the Blackstar, though I like their USB interface and software). Also, the HT1GC, NO MP3, NO HEADPHONES... just a Speaker Line Out. Its a practice amp! It should have those things. Wasn't willing to pay the extra for the non-exclusive model, nor the really bigger price for the reverb model.

This led to the ID:Core 40, hoping to overcome some of the shortcoming in the 20. The stereo effect is cool for a while, tripping out on how immersive it is... but just still, no bottom end and the mids cut like razor blades, instead of sang.

I thought the Vox, a pretty ingenious amp section with the 12AX7, would fill the bill for some more balls and warm tones, but no. At least, not that I could find. I read a review, maybe here... where someone said the Vox Valvetronix, in their opinion... all the dials besides master volume and the wattage control, were useless past 12 o'clock (mid). Especially the higher gain channels. Nails on a chalkboard. For some of the harder stuff I like to play, yeah... it could hit some of those. The AC30 and I think the Boutique setting could produce some pretty cool tones, but... for all it was touted to be, I wasn't that enamored with it.

I've been told, unless you're going to get one of the better known and all tube Vox amps, they're nothing to write home about. Again... next to an old 90s Line 6 Flextone... fail.

So I end back up in GC today, whining about my amp. If the Vox had a better computer interface, I was saying... but also thinking about how it screeched next to the Flextone... I'm looking at this little Yamaha modeling amp, I've read rave things about. For the first time ever, while looking at something other than a $2000+ guitar... people are walking up to me (I haven't plugged in yet)... "Oh those are great amps!", "Awesome amp, man!"

So I decide to piss off the manager (this is like I said, one of many exchanges/swaps/returns lately)... I go home, grab my Vox and my SGJ. This time, its getting tested out with my damn guitar and if it can bring out the mids on the SGJ... then its got a job! I know the Kramer and LP will sound good, if the SGJ does.

Get back there, plug in and wait until every shredder has silenced their guitar, dial up Brit Hi, about 3/4 gain (a bit high but HEY! I like it) and rip into UFO's Rock Bottom at about 1/2 master volume...

Everyone stopped what they were doing. LOL! This little sucker has balls... big ones. Better low-end than that 10" speakers in the Blackstar. Sound? Oh she sounded sweet, oh so sweet. I was hooked.

I notice they have it in black! I say, "is that the same?" I'm told it is (obviously isn't) and buy it brand new... smile on my face, though wallet a little lighter, with the price difference between it and the Vox.

Get home, unpack, load software, download drivers.... then I'm looking at a review and someone says, the THR-10C doesn't have that much gain. What? I just rocked out to with this thing. It cranks. But, I had played a white one in the store. That of course led me to finding out there's 3 models... and the blues model was not remotely what I wanted.

So I packed it up, drove back to GC, where I also knew they had a THR-10... used for $100 cheaper than the new one. Since I already had the software loaded, knew I had all the cables I needed... and a little sore, I had to make a trip back for bad info, I wanted a little cash back in my bank account.

Got her home again. Plugged her in and there it was! That was the sound!

And I can mod this thing and run a stereo cab? Muahahahaha! I have electronics bg. This might be fun.

Excuse the length... but I am really excited about this amp. Next to my Les Paul, I think its the most fun I've had in a while. I love my bigger amp, but I hardly ever get to play her. At least now, I won't weep anymore when I plug in and I realize how crappy my "practice amp" (that's all I do) sounds.

If you're thinking about one... pull the trigger!

2. Molly

Molly Active Member

When the THR10 came out in the UK I was first in the queue. Fantastic piece of kit. Kept discovering the more and more it could do. Only issue I had was a noisy power supply. Yamaha UK provided a more substantial, earthed power supply gratis and it solved the problem.

During a 'consolidation' mood I let it go and have regretted it more than once. Bought a wee Blackstar Fly3 this week as a kind of poor man's version.

Anyway, congratulations. It's a cool purchase.

3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

If i was in that store you would of had my attention on UFOs Rock Bottom.love the song.anyway congrats on finding the amp you like.

4. GibsonKramer

Haha... it's like my Stairway to Heaven, guitar store song. Recently, I discovered I was hitting just a single wrong note for years.

A few months ago, I'm in the store and I hear it coming thru perfect... dude's nailing it. I yell across the store, "badass, UFO!" Guy is shocked anyone even knew who it was. He says most people if they ever comment say, "cool riff, man."

But I heard the note I had been hitting wrong all those years, got it corrected and if I'm testing anything, you'll know I'm in the store. :D

I'm sure everyone in my family hates it, but it really is a fun song to play... The riff keeps your fingers lose and lively and the chorus, power chords, something about that song. If it sounds good to me, I'll more than likely be happy with my purchase. Bored moments... I break into it. Funny thing is, I'm not tuned for it either, so I never play along. I do with everything else.

Still loving the amp. Played for at least 4 hours last night. Setting up different presets, I'm actually making, with the software. Nailed both the phase section and rhythm (not a lead player) of Maiden's - Number of the Beast, last night, in about 5 minutes and everything by Aerosmith, in about the same time. That made me happy.

5. JohnnyGoo

Walkin the Dog ???.love that song.Got a story for ya if you like Aerosmith.one of the very first concerts i seen was a outdoor concert in Portland Oregon.Headliners were Bachman Turner Overdrive.Opening act was a band nobody ever heard of call Aerosmith .the rest is history lol.the Dream On Album was just being released.they kicked royal ass.i had to work nites last nite so i was googling and reading about the Yamaha desktops.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    GibsonKramer likes this.
  6. GibsonKramer

One of my favorite songs, by them. They're one of the handful of bands I've never seen live, I'm still dying to see. I've missed some classic concerts, with the attitude, "I'll catch them next time". Missed Led Zeppelin's last tour, Pink Floyd - The Wall, and some other sore moments in my history.

I love Tyler's tone. He pays a bit clean for my taste, so I like to dirty it up. Haha.

You know, I was watching the videos on the 10X last night and I really like that one to. Thinking about swapping, if I get any Christmas/birthday money. It's got those two "Brown channels" that are exquisite.

It's rare, I get this excited about products. I think my LP and blinging out the SGJ, are up there, but completing it with something so portable and versatile, but not overwhelming, icing on the cake.

Though, if I get enough $$$, think I'm going to grab a Vox lil' Night Train. Those suckers roar. Would be a great match with either Gibson.

7. JohnnyGoo

Ive been on a small tube amp kick myself lol.i had two roland cubes.a 60 watter and a 20 xl.i was only using like one channel.i got a Orange Micro Terror,a Blackheart Killer Ant and as of a couple days ago a Blackheart Little Giant.can crank it and get some crunch in the house with out my dog goin nuts or blastin the windows out lol.i was pawn shopping with a friend a couple weeks ago and walked by the window of one place and somethin caught my eye.stopped and looked.Vox Little Night Train.damn she was pretty.chrome cover.tubes.whats not to like lol.only i could get a new one for what they wanted.maybe it was just a night train.was still small

GibsonKramer likes this.