NAD - Yamaha THR. Possibly the most impressive practice amp...

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by 19sixty3, Feb 11, 2020.

1. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Member

So for the last couple of years my home practice amps has been a Blackstar HT1 Metal and a Marshall DSL20HR through a 112 equipped with a Celestion Greenback G12M. Lovely amps and even on not earth shaking volume I could get some nice tones out of it. However, for late night practicing both are simply to loud.

So I bought a second hand THR10X yesterday, at half price, in mint condition to solve all this.

I must say, I am very impressed. First of all, it works like a normal amp. Just plug and play. No fussing around with computers or a million different settings. Just plug in, turn it on, and turn the knobs. Game on!

the THR10X is born with some awesome metal amps built in. On the Brown I setting (my favorite so far) it very much replicates the gain stages of a Plexi. It cleans up with the SG’s volume just like my old Plexi Marshall, and with the gain setting at about 12-1 o'clock it roars like it too. Just smaller and at whisper volumes. Though the Yamaha get loud enough. While loud, I doubt it would be loud enough to stand up to any decent drummer.

However... The thing is - it reacts like a tube amp, plain and simple.
    The sound of this little green guy is nothing short of amazing.

That thing takes pedal very well.
    If you add a distortion or overdrive pedal to further boost the signal going to the THR10X, you'll get even heavier distortion. However, the clean channel plus a RAT = instant doom.

To cut a long story short: The Yamaha THR10X is pretty much pedal to the metal on its five basic amp models, and is quite possibly the most impressive practice amp I have ever played through. I would have better bought it years ago.

50F74378-4347-4293-BEB0-A3E6C6B80558.jpeg

fos1, Clifdawg and syscokid like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Its a good practice amp and i considered getting one. Congrats on your new amp!

19sixty3 likes this.
  3. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I have the original THR10 and my experience has been the same as yours. Great tones, easy to use, very tube-like in it's response and sounds great through good headphones. I love that you can hook up a phone or laptop to play along with and it's got a dedicated volume for that purpose. An excellent practice amp!

syscokid and 19sixty3 like this.
  4. Astral Traveler

Astral Traveler Active Member

Congratulations! I have the original THR5. It's the one piece of kit I've owned the longest time.

19sixty3 likes this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

I should add that people looking at things like THR 10 should maybe also consider boss katana air or boss waza air.

Lots of great choices here for we the lucky guitar players!

fos1 and 19sixty3 like this.
  6. 19sixty3

19sixty3 Member

Yes! The Boss Katana-Air seems more versatile (and it’s wireless) but it’s at least € 100 more, and I don’t really need much versatility since I mostly play metal at home. I like the Yamaha(s) much more than the Katana air. The THR10X is what you want for metal/high gain, the THR10C for cleans and bluesy crunch, or just the normal THR10 for both. The new THRs can do that all, but they are IMHO very expensive. I am not willing to pay € 420 (plus) for a home practice amp. I don't need wireless at home. However, my THR takes the Boss WL-20 system quiet well.

Another option would be the VOX Adio Air GT. Lovely little amp. But? It’s ugly))

Nevertheless, I fully agree with @GrumpyOldDBA ”Lots of great choices here for we the lucky guitar players!”

7. GrumpyOldDBA

My new favorite practice amp is the PRS MT15 an all tube amp. Have to run it into an attenuator to make it non deafening at home yikes!

My poor blackstar fly 3 hasnt been used for a long long time ...

19sixty3 likes this.
  8. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    Played the Katana... Still keep my THR10

Much much better

19sixty3 likes this.