NAD

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by living room rocker, Oct 9, 2019.

1. living room rocker

living room rocker Member

Thought at age 60 I'd outgrown yielding to the subtle temptation of buying myself something that's clearly a desire and not really a necessity. My Epi SG400 and Fender Champion 20 are capable of producing such beautiful music.....so much more than I'm capable of extracting from them. But, I gave in and did it anyway.....a new Boss Katana Mk II, 100 watt single 12". I'm 3 years into this guitar thing and take to heart what you long-timers advise. I still remember Col Mustard writing "the tone chase is a death march".....sounded logical coming from an old pro. What I took from that subtle wisdom was that one should learn to play the thing instead of getting wrapped up in gear and chasing some ever elusive tone. You won't see me with a pedal board, but I've got an amp that'll probably last the rest of my days.

Please educate me though.....I've seen several amps with this feature. Why does one need 2 volume knobs and how should they be used?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
    Clifdawg likes this.
  2. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp! Each channel has its own volume knob, some amps also have a master volume, some amps have a master volume for each channel, so youre potentially looking at 2, 3, or 4 volume knobs on a multi channel amp. What does yours have?

living room rocker likes this.
  3. living room rocker

The amp has one panel section labeled "Amplifier".....this contains a knob for selecting one of 5 amp voicings (channels I presume) along with one gain knob and one volume knob. Another panel section contains a volume knob simply labeled "Master".

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You have your channel gain and volume to dial in your tone, once you got that set your overall volume may be too low or too high, you can adjust that with the master without affecting the tone you originally dialed in.

5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

On a tube amp, to get the tubes cooking, you ramp up the preamp volume (and/or gain). You then adjust overall volume with the master volume.

Boss included that feature in their new amp lines. If you play clean, set the master volume to 10 and adjust the loudness you want with the amp section. If you like some overdrive, crank the amp section volume knob and adjust loudness with the master volume.

Try it for yourself on the 0.5W setting to hear the difference. It does work ... almost like a tube amp.

BB King used to dime everything on his amp and control tone and volume from his guitar knobs.
    Eddie Van Halen used to dime everything on his amp ... and on his guitar :lol:

Worblehat and living room rocker like this.
  6. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Congrats! You picked a good one. I find that a really good guitar and amp inspire me to play more, and I think the Katana will be a great platform to learn with and possibly even to get you out of your comfort zone, learning some different styles (jazz, blues, metal, etc.)

You say that now... :rofl:But if you ever want to give the whole pedal thing a shot, you can always get a GA-FC foot pedal for the Katana and you pretty much have a full pedalboard built-in.

The good DrB explained it better than I could from a tonal standpoint, but in terms of practicality, the "Master" is the overall volume of the amp itself, and the "Volume" is the volume of the currently selected channel. In a live situation, there are some major differences, especially if you're using presets, but at home, you'll probably find yourself using either of them interchangably. Play with the sounds enough and you'll become familiar with their similarities and differences.

To be honest, I never really heard a noticeable difference between cranking the volume and using the master vs. the cranking the master and using the volume. But that's maybe because I typically stuck to a squeaky clean sound and a pretty saturated hard Rock sound. YMMV.

7. living room rocker

So far I'm pretty stoked.....the level of tone adjustment is quite in depth and the effects shipped on the unit will give lots of variation too. A lot of amp for me to grow into no doubt! Squeaky clean and a low gain crunch tone happen to be my faves.

8. living room rocker

Thank you Pedecamp, DrBGood and Clifdawg.....appreciate your inputs on using the volume controls. It all makes sense.

pedecamp likes this.
  9. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Great choice of amp. I am 2,5 years into playing and also got a Katana 100 half a year ago. You can't go wrong with it. Sounds awesome and you don't really need anything else...so many possibilities in there. But don't be fooled...GAS will strike a gain some day, no matter how great your amp is ;)

The question about the volume knobs still puzzles me. There are a lot of discussions about this especially regarding the Katana. I remember a discussion here on ETSG, I think in the "Boss Katana Amp Club" thread. It seems like everyone has a different opinion on how the different volume knobs effect the tone or how it was designed to be used. Honestly: I don't really hear a difference anyways (like cliffdawg). At least not at the low volumes that I use to practice at. Following DrBGood's advice is probably a good idea...sounds very reasonable.

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I didn't invent anything on this, I'm not that bright. I read it somewhere, from the people at Boss.

Interesting readings here, about EQ. It is flat when all three knobs are dimed. All you can do is substract. If you place let's say the treble knob at 5, pointing up, you just removed 50% of the treble available, because 100% treble is when the knob is all the way to the right, it's not then 150%.

So, with all three EQ knobs pointing at noon, it gives you minus 50% of that EQ.

11. Piper68Special

Piper68Special Member

Thanks DrB-you've given me a whole new amp!

living room rocker and DrBGood like this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

If you are talking about a Gain (sometimes also labeled Volume) and a Master Volume control, it's because a guitar amp both consist of a preamp section, that amplifies the guitar signal to a level fitting the poweramp, as well as it is usually also here any coloration and tone shaping takes place, and then a poweramp section, that amplifies the signal it receives from the preamp section to the wanted volume.

The Gain knob controls how much of the signal coming from your guitar is feed to the preamp and the Master Volume how much the signal coming from the preamp gets amplified and send to the speakers.

13. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new amp! I love my katana artist 100 and this sounds very similar but even newer.

It gets very very loud at .5 watts the 50 watts needed only when gigging out ha ha!

I have never used mine on 100 yet!