NCG on the way!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by Layne Matz, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Bought a classical guitar w/hardshell case off goodwills auction site for $37 USD including shipping, dont have a shipping estimate yet. Neck and bridge may need some repair or adjustment. I look forward to finally accessing flamenco sounds, its in the player to certain extent but obviously steel strings dont respond the same as nylon and must be used differently to achieve similar sounds. 499437815152621ghnd.JPG Nothing fancy, just practical and I dont mind modifying it. 30935115152621ghnd.JPG 667706615152621ghnd.JPG 81405515152622ghnd.JPG 520568015152622ghnd.JPG 794557415152622ghnd.JPG

Edit:
    I'm preparing to start doing some solo acoustic shows, which would be a very new thing for me and different from the electric power trios I fronted previously.

Im in need of some cheap instruments to fix up and use:
    1× classical guitar
    1× 12 string acoustic
    1× 6 string acoustic for standard and open tunings w/slide
    1x piezzo
    2x magnetic single coil pickups

Worblehat likes this.
  2. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Happy new guitar day! I hope it's playable (not a given at this price point) and gives you what you are looking for without to much tinkering.

Let us know how your acoustic solo gigs are going :smile:

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Nice deal. So three weeks from now, this is you and a couple of friends :cheers:

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Layne Matz

I struggle to find musicians as dedicated as myself here in rural Jacksonville Alabama. That would be a fairly egotistical thing to say except guys around here like to use "just playing for fun" as an excuse to not try to do better, learn new things, or take any kimd of advice.

Ive been enthralled by flamenco since I was younger but homestly never played a classical guitar. Ive tried to mimic flamenco sounds and techniques at some levels but this should be an excellent oppertunity to really get the techniques down.
    P.S. I LOVE PASSION GRACE AND FIRE.
    Thanks!
    The neck may need a whole reset and I'm anticipating some bridge lift but I invented a little contraption that deals with bellying and beidge lift for a whole $4 and permanently secures the bridge and belly and allows for adjustments if desired- some people like a little bullying in their acouatics oddly enough.
    Other than that it should be alright, shop goodwill is THE BEST place to buy THE CHEAPEST used guitars anywhere online or in person that i have come across. About 50% of their guitars sell for $45 USD or less, even some very old, unique, rare and vintage ones. I intend to record my shows via audio and or video, I'll post whatever I have ASAP. Input is always appreciated!

Pardon my run on sentences.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  5. donepearce

You need to lower the action to play Flamenco on a classical guitar. Probably about half as high.

Layne Matz likes this.
  6. Layne Matz

7. Layne Matz

Good to know, any other tips?

I'll be reading more thoroughly about the set up and some techniques soon. I read a book about flamenco when I was 16 but I dont recall much of it now. I recall a lot more about dancing and the traditions.

8. donepearce

Other tips? Get into tapas and sangria! But for the guitar? Nah, action height is about it. As for playing, don't be shy about using a capo. Flamenco players will just stick one on to suit whatever key they like.

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. Layne Matz

Thanks again! Excellent advice!

Ive been getting more familiar with capo use lately. When I was younger playing only acoustic slide blues I would use cheap capos all the time to go from open g to a or d to e, heavy guage strings would wear the capo spring and foam out rapidly. Needless to say that shouldnt be a problem with nylons. I think most of the video footage of Sabicas shows him with a capo at one of the 1st-4th frets.

10. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

37 $ for this beauty? Including HC? Gosh, I really envy!! Good catch!!

:cheers:

Layne Matz likes this.