neck angle

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by charriman, Jul 2, 2019.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Cannot determine from existing photos.
    Not enough info.

A stock 2018 SG Faded comes with a Nashville, not an ABR-1 as you mentioned. Regardless of what bridge it originally came with, it would have made more sense to attempt a basic setup on the guitar with the stock parts it came with to see if everything checks out first in the event that it may need to be returned.

How does the action look at the 12th fret "where it needs to be"? Are the frets level?
    Any proud frets? Is the truss rod adjusted? It appears the action is being set to clear the bridge pickup instead of the frets?

I have never liked the method of how humbuckers are installed on batwings from the factory where they are parallel with the body instead of the strings. This method may be fine for other brand guitars where there is zero neck angle, but not on these IMO.

I prefer to have the pickups be parallel to the strings to allow for better height adjustment of the pickups. There are several methods that can be utilized to make this happen which include using foam shims underneath the pickups, bending the pickup mounting tabs, adding angled pickup rings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    brazilnut and flognoth like this.
  2. e-man

e-man New Member

I set the SG up to have 12th fret action of 0.075ish for the 6th string and 0.063ish for the 1st string. My neck relief is .002 at the 7th fret.

I play 10's so I planned on having to adjust things. All of the setup was done with the original bridge (which was a Nashville, had ABR on the brain) in place. I want the roller because I have plans for a vibrola.

Thanks for the comments, you guys are very helpful.

brazilnut and cerebral gasket like this.
  3. cerebral gasket

From what I can see, that roller bridge does not appear to be as vertically thick as a Nashville and is revealing more of the post threads to be exposed making the bridge appear to be sitting higher than it actually may be.

How does it play and sound?

If you feel that the neck angle is too much, or have any doubts that it will bother you in the future, then by all means return the guitar for another one. There are so many great guitars to be had on the second hand market IMO, that I'm certain you can find one that meets or exceeds your expectations.

4. e-man

e-man New Member

You are correct, the roller bridge is shallower than the Nashville. Since I have plans for a vibrola, the roller will need to be accommodated.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen but I have decided to return the guitar. Neck angle is something I am not able to justify correcting on a brand new instrument (not that I could).

Well this is the second brand new SG I have returned in less than a month (the first was a 2019 standard 61 with lyre vibrola, the trem was misaligned on the instrument). I have to admit, I am getting a little discouraged. My goal is to put together a tribute to my first "real" guitar, a 1963 SG standard with lyre vibrola.

I think I am going to go used. Might be easier to drill holes in a used one.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Here is a pic of my SG Classic
    SGclsc.jpg
    w/Golden Age roller bridge.
    1rb.jpg
    The top of the frame is notched, showing more of the threads.
    It has low action and plays great.

6. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Send it back! That's just ridiculous!

7. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

I recently had a conversation with Chicago Music Exchange about possibly buying one of their $2000 Lyre Vibrola Siandards. Called an "Original", I think. They offered to sell me a Dent and Scratch one for about $1300 shipped. Might still have it, or one like it....

Biddlin likes this.
  8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I'd advise you never to buy a guitar online and untried. They are far too variable, and unless you can examine it in detail you are likely to be disappointed.

9. cerebral gasket

Nothing wrong with purchasing a guitar online if there is a return policy. Sometimes a specific guitar is not available locally.

koaguilds and brazilnut like this.
  10. donepearce

Returning a guitar - or more likely more than one guitar sounds like needless pain. And you are likely to settle for second best.

11. cerebral gasket

No pain, no gain.

koaguilds and brazilnut like this.
  12. donepearce

Nonsense. It's perfectly possible to make massive gain with zero pain.

13. Biddlin

:lol:
    [​IMG]
    ?:naughty:

brazilnut likes this.
  14. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Biddlin, you are a big reason I hang around here...you are just so scratchy!

'Course, I learn a lotta stuff, too. I had no idea neck angles were so variable, f'r instance. I guess I've just been lucky over the years.

You know, maybe the bestest SG I ever owned was a Japanese Epi Elite. Sounded good, played good, never any issues, and it was so cheap I could beat the hell out of it without a guilty conscience. Never should have sold that one. I bought it from a great guy on MLP.

15. Biddlin

That sounds suspicious, right there.:naughty:

brazilnut likes this.
  16. e-man

e-man New Member

There are two sg's within an hours drive from me. I played one of them. Neither have a slim taper neck, so I'm not interested.

I have never bought a guitar without playing it until now. Granted it isn't working out for me.

I have my eye on a used 2018 faded cherry.

We'll see, maybe third time's a charm...

17. brazilnut

brazilnut Active Member

Cynic.

Biddlin likes this.
  18. donepearce

Experience

brazilnut likes this.
  19. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

A higher neck angle makes manufacturing easier as your tolerance is +or-. With a flat angle you don't have a lot of - for tolerance.

All things being equal, I prefer a lower neckset angle. The guitars with lower angles tend to have more "ping" and a somewhat better singing quality. Of course, all things are never equal. If I like a guitar, and the bridge is on the high side, well, I like the guitar. I do top-wrap guitars where the bridge is high because I don't like the tailpiece flying like the Golden Gate Bridge.

Present Gibsons: SG Standard, bridge a hair off the bottom stop, tailpiece decked for good break angle. Les Paul R8, bridge on the low side, maybe 1/16 to 3/32 off the bottom, tailpiece just a bit off the stops, maybe 3/64ths. Firebird V, dang that bridge is high maybe 3/16" off the bottom, tailpiece decked, top-wrap. Epi "Treasure" Firebird I, also kind of high, but its a wraparound.

All sound and play great, the SG and LP just sing, with a vocal quality (and I play very clean). The Firebirds have great tone and sustain, but a bit of the magic is missing.

brazilnut and cerebral gasket like this.