Neck binding fret nibs

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Wolfcoyote, Feb 23, 2020.

1. Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote Member

Sometimes when I’m riffing my high e gets caught in between the fret binding nib and the fret, probably because this guitar has been played a lot. I’m wondering if there’s som type of way to fill in these tiny gaps. Maybe a resin or wax or even file down the fret edges slightly...I assume a lot of gibson lovers encounter this problem. I definitely don't want to rout off the nibs, just curious if anyone has found a fix for this?

Dave likes this.
  2. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

I fix it by bending away from the nibs instead of toward it.

Demon Dave likes this.
  3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

You can't do that with pull-offs, though.
    DSCN1260.JPG
    Yeah, no nibs.

RhinestoneStrat likes this.
  4. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

I'm tempted to say you're bending the wrong way, at least for a guitar with nibs, but I guess everyone has their own playing style and it would be hard to change. You can repair binding by getting some of the same color, melting it in acetone and fill the space with the goop it results in. You'll have to test on one nib for color of course but if that works out then fill the spaces, scrape, sand etc the excess off and you should be good.

For a small job like this it will suffice to put a strip of the new binding i for instance a shot glass and then take the goop from the end of it with a tooth pick to put it where you want, setting the binding back in the glass between each use. I'd get a cheap fret crowning file off ebay to help crown the transition between binding and fret. (tape off the areas between the frets)

This will take some time but isn't, like everything else on a guitar, really rocket science so just go for it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

This has been one of those sore subject kinds of topics
    that gets people all riled up, for no reason IMHO.

Can of Worms.jpg
    Maybe we can take a cue from our present political circus, and discuss this without
    rancor or demonization, or rude comments. That would be a good thing. Let's do that.

It seems like the best thing to do with a guitar that catches your strings in the binding
    is to sell it, and buy one that has no nibs and perhaps no binding, and play that.

Gibson has been making guitars with nibs on the binding since the amps were powered
    by coal. Funny that I never knew anything about them until I joined this site. And maybe it's because
    Gibson guitars that have nibs on the binding are the expensive kind... and I never have
    owned one of those.
    Body Upper Bout@100.jpg
    I've always bought less expensive Gibsons, with no nibs, no binding, and no problem.
    And my guitars with no binding have given great service, and never caused flaws in my playing.
    I cause all of those myself, and cain't blame anyone else.
    All my guitars made by Epiphone and Fender have had no binding (think Fender maple neck),
    or else they've had "fret-over" binding, like the Epi below,
    which seems much better IMHO. *shrugs
    SnowWhite Caledonia@100.jpg
    So IMHO there are alternatives to struggling with nibs. (or getting a fret job
    or trying to pack the little gaps with some kind of gluey mess, without getting it
    all over everything... which is what I would surely do).

Use the one with nibs to play slide... and use a different guitar like
    the above to play the style where you pull the string over the fret end.
    Nibs are optional. Even on a Les Paul.

But they are traditional... and Gibson players have been playing great music on
    them for decades, and apparently figuring out how not to catch their strings in
    the gaps. It seems like that's what most players do. Play around the problem and
    keep going.

6. Biddlin

SGclsc.jpg 1nibs.jpg
    A light touch is one way to keep your nibs in good shape. From my pov as a lead player, they can be annoying affectation.

RhinestoneStrat and Demon Dave like this.
  7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Yup, this. Easy peasy.

8. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

Shouldn't have to. Design "features" that have no pupose beyond bragging rights about something being premium, but which actually take away from the performance are to be deplored.

Relic61 and Biddlin like this.
  9. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Classic guitar forum content: Dude asks for help - gets opinions instead. Hahaha. (Except for on mylespaul.dum where it's "- gets insulted instead" and on tdpri.com where it's "- actually gets it")

Demon Dave likes this.
  10. Biddlin

arcticsg and RhinestoneStrat like this.
  11. donepearce

He already had the help. Refret with frets over binding. Best advice he's going to get on any forum.

Col Mustard and Biddlin like this.
  12. Biddlin

mgtc.jpg
    When I was much younger, I acquired a 1948 MGTC from a "friend." As is always a good practice with classic British cars and since it wasn't running, I went through pretty much the entire car and got it in tip-top shape. On the maiden voyage it ran great, everything was working well, until I started down Maltman ave toward Sunset blvd. When the car was moving about 50 mph a little air got under the clam-shell fenders and caused the front tires to lose contact with the macadam. The floating effect was solved by removing the fenders and replacing them with less aerodynamic aluminum pieces that met legal requirements.

13. donepearce

Nice car! The answer to that problem over here was to put louvres all the way down the sweep of the fenders to let the air out.

Biddlin likes this.
  14. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Yes, he did, but that wasn't it. His question was " I’m wondering if there’s some type of way to fill in these tiny gaps." and he mentioned "I definitely don't want to rout off the nibs" combined with "just curious if anyone has found a fix for this?" So the best answers to that could only be from people that "have found a fix", which doesn't remove the nibs and which solves his problem the way he wants it to.

SG standard likes this.
  15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Can you show us the problem (picture) ?

16. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Try a little bit of epoxy on a toothpick. Let dry then sand/ buff it until it matches the height of the fret and nib. Just be careful during the sanding part so you don't damage the fret or nib.

17. Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote Member

it’s pretty minimal, but annoying none the less A73490D9-ECC2-4DDF-B9DF-3773C31B5384.jpeg
    I feel like it’s hard to see, it’s basically just enough of a gap to snag my string...also I have been bending the other way most of the time, but I do a lot of pull offs. I feel like if I’m super careful and tape off the non effected wood and binding I might try super glue but it’s so scary, this guitar is my baby.

18. donepearce

Part of the problem is that on guitars with nibs they seem to taper the frets off a long way in. This tends to encourage the string into the gap when you do even the slightest bend

Daniel.S likes this.
  19. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Ok, it looks like what I first suggested might be a bit of an overkill. Hard to see a space between the nibs and the binding, but could it be that the transition between fret and nib is not smooth? In that case I'd try to crown them lightly. Run your finger over them gently, following the fret to the nib and back, and see if the fret ends are sharp.

20. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

a bit of high grain sandpaper and smooth/careful movement ??

fredlw likes this.