Neck humbucker for DiMarzio PAF Pro?

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by MetalSG, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Hi. I'm going to swap the stock pups of a Basswood body, Maple/Rosweood neck LTD Eclipse (Bolt on), and I found a brand new PAF Pro at a nice price. Wich neck HB would combine well with it (a similar sounding, but cleaner, brighter and lower output HB)?

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

See what else you find for cheap.

The Paf Pro may be your neck pickup.

What are the specs on it?

3. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Alnico 5, D.C. Resistance 8.4 output 300 mv bass 5/10, mids 5.5/10 treble 6/10

AngelDeVille likes this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, use that as a neck. It depends on what sound/tone you want. Dimarzio Super Distortion? ?, Gibson 57 Classics are the favorite of many. ..

AngelDeVille likes this.
  5. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Well my amp has more gain than I will ever need, so basically I'm looking for clear, low to medium output HUmbuckers. I know that both Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert had two PAF Pro's in their Ibanez guitars at one point in their careers. Of course I suck big time when compared to them, but basically I'm not looking for very very hot pups.

AngelDeVille likes this.
  6. AngelDeVille

Air Norton or super distortion with that in the neck

Or a second pro or bluesbucker would be awesome.

Chubbles and MetalSG like this.
  7. AngelDeVille

Or breaking the dimarzio mould, add a Duncan DimeBucker in the bridge.

It is surprisingly clear and clean, and roll on the volume and it's a dirty dirty biatch.

If you get one cheap you got really lucky.

MetalSG likes this.
  8. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Or a PAF Joe, which is a lower output PAF Pro specifically tweaked for Joe Satriani (designed for the neck position).

9. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

I have a DP151 PAF Pro in the neck and a DP216 Mo Joe in the bridge of my SG Special Faded.
    They are pretty evenly matched in terms of output. The PAF Pro has slightly more treble output whilst the Mo Joe has slightly more mids. The higher output treble suits the PAF Pro as the neck pickup and the extra mid push in the Mo Joe bridge pickup translates to more push from the bridge position.
    As a pair for what I play they work very well together.
    IMG_4801.JPG

10. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

I might go that route, or the FRED in the Bridge. Trouble is, my PAF Pro is F-spaced, so the coils will not be perfectly aligned with the strings. I don't know if that's a serious issue.

11. 83 Blazer

83 Blazer Well-Known Member

From the Dimarzio FAQ section:
    How do I know which spacing to use?

F-spaced pickups measure 2.01" (51 mm) center-to-center from the first polepiece to the sixth. Standard-spaced pickups measure 1.90" (48 mm). Although some players believe that F-spaced pickups are only for the bridge position of tremolo bridge guitars, many guitars with fixed bridges (including post-1998 Gibson® and Epiphone® Les Paul®, SG® and semi-hollow guitars) should have F-spaced pickups in the bridge position. Most tremolo equipped guitars that have a nut width of 1-11/16” (43mm) or more should also use an F-spaced pickup in the neck position. If you’re replacing a bridge-position pickup and you're not sure what your string-spacing is, it's usually better to get an F-spaced model. It is not necessary for the strings to pass exactly over the center of the polepieces for best performance, but it is wise to avoid a situation where the E strings are sitting completely outside of the outer polepieces.