Neck Profile on a 2011 Pelham Blue SG Standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by poppunk, Dec 5, 2018.

1. poppunk

poppunk New Member

I'm looking at picking up a 2011 Pelham Blue SG Standard. My understanding is that this makes it a Standard Exclusive that was sold at Sam Ash. Almost everything on my interest in this (and any guitar) is the neck profile and thickness.

I asked the seller about the neck thickness (and to get a measurement if possible) and here is the response:

"Its definitely not a thin neck but its not a thick les paul basebell bat neck eith. Its a really round, comfortable medium thickness neck profile to me."

They don't have a micrometer to measure it, which is how I'd get the best info.

Does anybody on here have input on the neck (besides it not being a slim or D-shape)? The problem is that people seem to have a lot of variation in their idea of "medium" and "thick", even "baseball bat".

I compare everything against my 2001 SG Special (Teal Flip Flop). It's my favorite neck, and it measures at about 0.83" at the 1st fret and 0.97" at the 12th fret.

2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

From my experience, anything after the Norlin Era, small guard SG usually have Slim Taper and batwing SG have the fatter SG Rounded (thickness at 1st fret 0.818" and thickness at 12th fret 0.963"). I have not seen really fat necks on an SG since the late 60's and early 70's.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Buy it, play it, and quit yer whining.

rotorhead and Logan like this.
  4. Raymond Eriksen

Raymond Eriksen Active Member

Me too, but then again, there has been a quite a few SG-models with more rounded necks, bordering 50s rounded style. The 2016 Standard T for example, it has this "rounded profile". (I've tried it, and I didnt dig it at all.)

I always go for thin, fast necks - no matter what kinda guitar - and I just dont understand this fetish for SGs with rounded necks. To me, one of the most important and best features about the SG, was and is The Fast Neck.

SGs were meant to be players from hell, with fast, slim necks. If you want an allround bat/log that you also can make music with, get a LP Goldtop:D Or one of those dreadful beasts pictured above:D (That neck-pic give me chills down the spine, and not in a good way:D)

Edit:
    Is that really the case ..? Cause my bandmate has a 2000 SG Standard, batwing, and the neck is slim, just like the one on my 2018 Standard.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  5. cerebral gasket

There are exceptions. A batwing SG can have either Slim Taper or SG Rounded profile, but most seem to be SG Rounded. On the other hand I have never seen a 2000's or newer SG with small guard and SG Rounded neck before, as they all seem to be Slim Taper.

Necks can vary between each guitar with the same profile spec for a given year since the final sanding is done by hand. The 1st and 12th fret thickness might be consistent for the most part, but I can feel slight variances in the amount of shoulder between different SG with the same SG Rounded profile and it does not bother me. It's just an observation, not claiming one is better than another, just different. I can adapt to the differences right away.

If someone is OCD about neck profiles, then the guitar needs to be handled and played in person prior to purchase. That's about the only input that I can offer.

arcticsg, Logan and Raymond Eriksen like this.
  6. poppunk

poppunk New Member

I ordered it. It's through a Music Go Round across the country from me. If I don't like it when I get it, I can eat the shipping ($60 each way) and return for any reason within 48 hours of receiving. It seems like it's likely enough that I'll like it. And a Pelham Blue Standard that doesn't have a thin neck is basically a unicorn, so it's worth it to assume the risk here.

This has been beat to death on the internet, but the "thin, fast neck" thing isn't universal. I play comparatively slow and like ass on thin necks (particularly wide Ibanez or Jackson types). And my hand cramps up. And this is a from a dude with stubby fingers (but fat palms) who plays really fast music (although not constant shredder scales). And there are a lot of people like me who play better, more comfortably, and even faster on thicker necks. Given the different physical attributes, preferences, and styles of music, there's no universal "fast neck". I think a lot of people who swear by "thin fast necks" haven't had much time on a comparatively thicker neck and have no idea which one is better for them.

It's hard to find any non-SlimTaper necks to actually play. I actually live 15 minutes from Wildwood Guitars, but the only SGs they have in there that have necks on that get into the comfort range that starts to work for me are really expensive (in excess of $3,000). And those guys measure necks with micrometers when they get them. I've looked around at used stores, Craigslist, whatever. Used SGs that have a chance of having necks I like are rare; I had a bead on one at a used store but it was gone before I could even get to the place. And a thicker neck in Pelham Blue? Pretty much a dream for me. I can deal with ebony as a color, but the red has never looked good to me.

I wouldn't say I'm OCD, but too thin or flat of a neck profile has an impact on my playing. I didn't care 15 years ago, but I'm a lot more technically focused now and comfort and playability matter a lot more (and honestly, my hands probably don't work as good as they used to).

I can tolerate a bit of difference on profile/thickness. I have a Gretsch with a D shaped neck that is a little thin for me, but I do well with it with the specific type of music I play on it (surf/ska), but I can't chord on it like I can my SG. I have a Les Paul Studio (Robot, if someone wants to pick a fight about it I'm game <note that I got it used with the genuine OHSC for $450>) that has a thicker neck than my current SG; it is definitely on the upper limit of what is comfortable to me.

My primary show back up guitar to my SG Special is a Yamaha Revstar RS820CR. It's a really sweet guitar, but it might be the odd man out and get sold if the new Pelham SG works out.

On the topic of "why do I want this" new SG: I've had inlay and binding envy since I bought my Special. Even though it's my favorite guitar, I always felt like it was missing something without the cosmetic stuff. And I've gotten so attached to the thing I'm worried something might happen to it (mostly theft at a show). So this new SG can get some serious play if it's awesome.

7. poppunk

poppunk New Member

It arrived, and I guess this is now a NGD thread; pictures below.

I've been looking at getting a Standard for awhile, but the problem is I'm super picky on what I want. I don't like the red, and the ebony is alright. I really want a metallic orange and was also trying to find the SG Robot (have thick necks and head binding) at the right price so I could refinish it that color and fit it with vintage snot tuners. But I also was looking at Pelham Blue and would consider a refinish to Lake Placid Blue. Here's my list of needs and why it was a struggle, but I ended up with something awesome:

- Rounded/Thick Neck
    - Color (as discussed above)
    - Batwing Pickguard
    - Bling (Binding, MOP Gibson Logo, Crown, Trapezoid Inlays, Pickup Covers)
    - Vintage Tuners

I can make any of the usual Gibson SG pickups work out for me with the amp. Even if I found that I didn't like it so much I could have swapped, so not a big deal.

The neck feels a tiny bit wider than my SG Special (also pictured below) and a little less deep. But it's good, and I like it. I'll measure for curiosity at some point.

I did measure the weight because it feels really light compared to my Special; it's 6.2 lbs and the Special is 7.4.

It's a 2011 SG Standard Exclusive (Sam Ash), and it has the baked maple fretboard and the 498t/490r combo. I got it from a Music Go Round in Wisconsin. It's definitely been played a bit, but the front is actually pretty scratch free; even the pickguard doesn't have what I'd expect on it; I can tell whoever had it before had really tight, controlled picking. The back definitely has some wear (lots of indentations/surface scratches) but overall this guitar is in really good shape.

There's no noticeable fret indentations; with the wear level it looks like someone had a fret level done and hasn't played it a lot since. Another clue on this is that the action came at about the same stupid low point I like my guitars at (requires good leveling). Actually, everything about this guitar is amazingly set up and detailed (nut is even cut the perfect amount of close for me). I don't have to put the effort in to do a full fret job on this thing, and that's a huge bonus.

There's some binding going on, particularly at my G string. I'll see if it just needs to be cleaned out or if the slots need to be correctly widened (came with new D'Addario 10s on it, so strings shouldn't be an issue).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daniel.S, michaelinokc and Bettyboo like this.
  8. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Looks lovely (they both do), so congratulations and enjoy.

9. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Well-Known Member

I own one of these guitars. The description the seller gave is pretty accurate. It's definitely not a '61 reissue neck, but it's more rounded and a little thicker. It's very playable.

10. poppunk

poppunk New Member

I put strap locks on it (necessary given my stage behavior) and checked out the fancy PCB in the control cavity. The nut and saddle cuts look/feel fine so I just lubed them up a little and we'll see if that takes care of the binding.

I measured the neck, and as it turns out the thickness at the 1st and 12th are almost dead on to my SG Special. It's about .03" wider at the 12th fret. Between that and what is probably a little different shoulder, I can feel a slight difference. But basically I got a neck that's almost dead on with my favorite neck. In Pelham Blue. With all the bling.

I could not be happier with this; glad I took the risk and ordered it.

Daniel.S, Bettyboo and AngelDeVille like this.
  11. cerebral gasket

That's great that you found another SG with the neck that you want. Since you also prefer the bling of a Standard, have you ever thought about installing pickup covers on your Special? IMO they make the guitar look more finished while still retaining a simple look.

[​IMG]

Raymond Eriksen likes this.
  12. poppunk

poppunk New Member

I had pickup covers on my Special for quite awhile (got it in 2002 and probably put them on about a year after that), but pulled them off a couple years ago. The problem was that they were pretty microphonic (squeally fun with gain) just with solder and need to be potted, and I've been too lazy to go through the process of potting them.

There is something cool about the stripped down look of the Specials. My Special is probably the only thing that I consider to be an heirloom to my daughter (she's 11 and plays guitar and drums). Other than the ornamental stuff, it couldn't be more perfect (for me).

On those Specials you posted, what's up with them not having "SG" engraved truss rod covers? I know I've seen thread about people looking for them, but is it more or less common to have them on the Specials?

Bettyboo likes this.