Neck shape reprofiling: what about tone, sustain, etc..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nico1975, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

IMO the whole point of an SG is the "easily-played" part. If one ignore modelvariations, like neckprofiles and such, many SG-players states that the overall easy access and superior playability (including low weight, ergometric factors, comfyness etc) of the SG is why they use this particular model. Angus Young is one of them.
    I believe many (if not most) SG players did not spend months and years to improve or change their techniques to get around their newly aquired SGs; they fell in love with their SGs just because of the guitars playability.

2. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Angus seems like a pretty adaptable fellow.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Well, he can adapt, awrite, and me too, I can adapt to different guitars but I still have my preferences, just like Angus Young.

Angus uses SGs, for studio and live. These axes shown here are backup-guitars, crisis-solution-guitars, borrowed- for- jamming-guitars, and they were most likely not his own.
    Posing with a guitar for pics is one thing, playing is another. In the early days, he and Malcolm shared various backup-axes that none of them actually liked very much.

Edit: all those pics are from the bands very early days, the newest is from round 1977, well before he had any money. His mainguitar was a very slimnecked 1970 SG Standard. He used that SG for all the early albums and gigs and up to 'round 1978, when he got another SG Standard, which is used on 1979s "Highway to Hell". From then on his collection of SGs multiplied rapidly.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Telling someone to not have a preference about necks or where they should or should not place their thumb on the neck comes across as a bit arrogant if you ask me.

Not everyone is the same and people have different preferences and techniques. No one is claiming one is better than the other.

Why not let people choose what works best for their own situation?

nico1975 and Ray like this.
  5. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

OK, but it's also anatomically and ergonomically true. The more force you use on your fretting hand the slower you can change position and the more likely you are to bend a note unintentionally out of tune.(I could not find a single modern method book or teacher in an admittedly brief search who disagreed with that.)

6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

My 2004 SG Special has a slim taper neck and the 2003 has a chunky one, they are strange at Gibson factory ... sometimes ...

nico1975 likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Tell Clapton that.
    Edit: Too bad you never got to enlighten this guy as well, Biddlin. images(3).jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  8. nico1975

nico1975 Active Member

I like your way of thinking and I agree with you. I understand and try to learn from every user's advice. I like to have a humble attitude in life in every situation, because often those full of certainities and always ready to teach to others are the most insicure.

I also liked Biddlin advice who told me to try to explore new styles and music genres, I really enjoied some bossanova tunes in the past but I always come back to rock; sometimes I would like to take some lessons that might open my mind and my third eye on music.

I play and feel ok with every electric guitar I have (5) but I cant deny I have preferences in terms of neck shape and some of them are easier to play than others. Thats it!

cerebral gasket and Ray like this.