Neck thickness

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Horax, May 12, 2019.

1. Horax

Horax Active Member

which sg models have the thickest (and widest) necks?

I have found that I like very large necks. They match my very large hands.

It’s so hard to find an sg with thick necks so thought I’d ask here

2. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

AFAIK, and certainly in recent years, the 2015 had the widest necks; nut width 1.795", with a slim taper profile, on SG Standards and Specials.

After that, in 2016, the 'High Performance' SGs got neck widths in between the 2015 and previous widths: 1.745". The 2016 was still quite conventional looking, with a batwing and had a Rounded profile neck - so that might be one to look out for - obviously, being Gibsons, there will be individual variation. Also, I've found the 2016 neck doesn't feel very different to the Slim Taper - because your brain is fooled by the extra width, the shape feels about the same - but it's not! The 2017 onwards have Slim Taper necks, and maple caps, no pickguard, etc., so are a bit less traditional in style, but still very lovely SGs... :) Just remember the 'Traditional' range in those years had the classic nut width of 1.695"

Gibson's legacy site is a good place to look for details, but they've managed to lose the 2016 HP range, at least I can't find it there. Here's my 2016 SG Standard HP as a reminder...
    [​IMG]

arcticsg, Horax and cerebral gasket like this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I am in the same camp and favor the thick rounded necks.
    The thickest neck that I have ever encountered was attached to a 1970 SG Junior that I had in the recent past.

[​IMG]

2016 was a great year for thick rounded necks.

SG Standard
    SG Standard P-90
    SG Special T
    SG Faded

SG Standards with batwings tend to have thicker rounded necks, but there are exceptions to the rule. However, I have never seen an SG Standard with small guard and thick rounded neck.

SG Classics are my favorite SG with a thick rounded neck, and you get that great P-90 goodness that comes with them.

SG Specials (both Gloss & Faded) that I have owned prior to 2005 have all had thicker rounded necks.

The legacy site used to list the 1st and 12th fret thickness, and when I would see a guitar with the specs listed below, I always knew that I was going to like it before even playing it.

Nut Width: 1.687" (1-11/16)
    Rounded, SG Rounded, 50's Rounded
    1st fret thickness: 0.818
    12th fret thickness: 0.963

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    arcticsg likes this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I know it's not an SG, but it feels just like one. Thick wide neck and it's as light as my SG. It's even the right color ! :h5:

PRS SE Soapbar 1 - You can get a double cut of the same guitar.

2-.jpg

Steve D and Horax like this.
  5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Yep, the 2016 Standard and Standard HP necks are on the chunky side. My '16 Standard is just a tad thicker even.

The 2016 HPs use to have a separate page for them. I believe you can still find it through the Wayback Machine website.

Here's another '16 HP "as a reminder" :D

[​IMG]

Horax and SG standard like this.
  6. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

2010, 2011 and 2012 Gibson SG Standard has a C shaped neck.

7. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Aren't those cold enough already?

8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

I really like that, a PRS take on the 60s SG Special with the cherry finish, rosweood fretboard with dot inlays, lightning tailpiece and the P90s but without fretboard binding or a pickguard and of course a different more PRS shape. But clearly inspired by those 60s SG Specials. Very cool! That's a non-SG that I'd consider.

DrBGood likes this.
  9. DrBGood

They're actually moon crescents.
    Ha ha ... you probably never tried that exact model.

10. Steve D

I've never seen that exact model until you posted a pic. Moon crescents they are indeed. Interesting. I stand by my statement that it looks inspired by the 60s SG Special or Les Paul Junior I guess. Lightweight, SG Special looks, P90s .... like I said, I'd consider that one!

DrBGood likes this.
  11. DrBGood

They're out there.

https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=Paul Reed Smith SE Soapbar II

Another plus: that wraparound has the best intonation ever, spot on all the way up the neck.

12. rivercider

rivercider Member

I'm waiting to try out the new 2019 Standard (the one that drops the '2019' designation, so it's now just called the Standard) - that one is meant to have a rounded neck as opposed to the first 2019 Standard, which was slim taper.

Questions for the guys here who know - without wanting to open up a big can of worms - the new Standard with the rounded profile and batwing guard is also meant to have a long tenon neck joint. I would like to know, does this noticeably affect upper fret access (I think I read it's joined at fret 19, not 22) ?
    Also, would the longer tenon make any difference in terms of weight? I mean, will it add anything to the body end weight (saying this hopefully as I hunt for a balanced SG)

Sorry for noob questions, but I'm someone who kinda wants an SG but whenever I've tried one I end up moving it on as I don't bond with it, sometimes because of the slim taper profile, sometimes because of the neck dive (sorry but yes that does bother me a bit - love to find me a balanced one, so I am hunting for a heavier weight SG in the hopes that may mean it balances better)

Thanks

13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have never encountered an SG that didn’t have great upper fret access.

arcticsg and koaguilds like this.
  14. Fumble fingers

Fumble fingers Member

I have both and both give great upper access , I don't even notice a difference when I'm playing , I'm fairly new to Gibson SG's too but bad upper access isn't a problem with SG's

arcticsg likes this.
  15. Hanover Fiste

Hanover Fiste Member

The 2013 50s Tribute SG has a beefy neck profile.

[​IMG]

16. DrBGood

Yeah ... to say that a few years back, Best Buy liquidated them for $199 in Canada. Of course, once I saw it, they all had vanished.

17. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Tabernak!

shreddy bender and DrBGood like this.
  18. DrBGood

You can say that again ... since nobody knows you're swearing.

shreddy bender likes this.
  19. Steve D

I have a 2018 Special which has a longer heel an a 2006 Custom VOS '61 historic reissue with the short heel. Both of them have excellent upper fret access. In fact the 2018 with the long heel has 24 frets (so the fretboard is actually a little longer) and I can easily reach them all without any issues from that longer heel. I don't typically bother with frets that high but they are there if I ever need them and I have no problems whatsoever reaching them.

As for neck dive, some people go so far as to stuff lead in the control cavity (tape the lead up first so you don't risk shorting things) or various other cures to add weight to the body. Or they move the neck strap button up to the top horn. Fortunately for me I haven't had any issues with either of my SGs, or the one I owned before (so I'm 3 for 3 on no neck dive). I found my Historic VOS one to feel noticeably heavier in the body, though a measurement showed me it's the same thickness as my 2018. I suppose that the particular cut of wood makes a difference. Even though they are both mahogany I don't know if they are same species or what the source is or whatever but definitely they weigh differently. So heavier ones are out there. Just keep looking, hopefully you'll find one with the balance you like and it will click with you for all the other reasons. Good luck!

rivercider likes this.
  20. Joncaster

Joncaster Member

The 2019 first run Batwing Standards do have a Rounded Profile.
    Mine measures roughly (sorry, no proper caliper yet) 0.866 1st fret, to 0.944 12th fret...so it's more of a 'slow taper' but not thaaat slim.
    For me (who loves thicker necks in general), it's actually the best neck i've ever played. Only other neck to come close was a PRS pattern regular on a Core 10 top.
    Based on specs I would have said it's a bit slim, but the way its shaped is just so comfortable.

Mine doesn't dive with my normal strap (just a plain nylon one, but worn in). But then the wood itself has a nice weight to it. Haven't weighed it yet either, but the first thing i noticed when I took it out of the bag was the way it was balanced (I don't mean on a strap).
    So if you happen across a first run '19, by all means, pick it up and play it, see what you think.
    I love mine way too much.