Neckplate for SG Pro G-400

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Chenosaurus, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

Hey Everyone,

i'm new to this forum and this is my first post, glad to be part of the SG community!

i have recently got into modding and customising my SG (e.g. custom scratch plates/volume knobs/replacing pickups) and one thing i really wanted to do was put a cool neckplate on my SG. to my surprise, mine doesnt have one at all! (i have no idea how i didnt notice)

my question is, will a basic Fender neckplate fit onto my SG? i cant seem to find Gibson/Epiphone neckplates anywhere! if anyone has any experience in this some advice would be greatly appreciated

2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You will have to show us photos of your SG, for us to get where you're going with this.
    If your guitar is a G400 Pro, it doesn't come with a neck plate and it doesn't need one, since the neck is glued to the body.

If you're talknig about the truss rod cover at the head of the neck, that's another story.

And by the way, welcome to the SG zoo. Could you tell us more about yourself and show us your gear ? Maybe in the Welcome Wagon section ?
    http://www.everythingsg.com/forums/welcome-wagon.67/

We're like kids, we love pictures over here.

3. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

i will post a photo when i am home later, though my SG is still currently a boring ol' stock model, i plan to really spruce it up in the new year (gotta get christmas out the way before i go crazy ordering new parts!..)

i guess if it doesn't need a neckplate its probably a bad idea to put one on? never mind.. i'm sure i can do without one awesome aesthetic piece of gear right? :D
    oh and ive already got my eye on a couple of sweet looking truss rod covers ;)

4. DrBGood

A neck plate is a concept on Fender like guitars or on low budget ones. I don't see an added value, it being visual or else, of adding a neck plate to a guitar that has a set neck.

Apart from the TRC, what other kind of sprucing up do you have in mind ?

Chenosaurus likes this.
  5. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

one thing i really wanted to put on was a really cool custom pickguard. i really wanted a full face one but my SG currently has a half face pickguard... so maybe a bit of modding to put a full one on in the works!

Also some cool volume/tone knobs. thinking of replacing my tuners with some locking tuners. Though i'm not sure if the price of them justifies the improvement?

oh and of course some sweet new PuPs are a given :D

have you modded any guitars you own?

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

1998 epi.JPG
    Here's my stock '98 G-400-my first SG and a real good guitar.
    Here's my plan:
    98mod.jpg
    Hand wound 14k/17k pickups full guard and gold hardware.
    Here's the execution:
    98modproject.jpg
    '98 modified.jpg
    It came out just as I had planned. Pickup leveling was problematic. A real flamethrower of sound, I played it for a few weeks, but it was now a one-trick pony, sounded like crap at low volume and a gospel preacher bought it from me.

7. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

oh man that's a beaut, such a shame about the outcome of the sound :( i never even considered pickup levelling?? man i have alot to learn..

that gold hardware is so nice though, thinking of a future project of putting together an unfinished SG..lake placid blue (like my trusty mustang) with gold hardware. oooffff

8. DrBGood

I wouldn't do that if I were you. You'll add weight to a neck that has a fragile balance. A lot of people complain about neck diving. If you don't feel it on yours, don't go putting more weight up there.

And locking tuners don't solve anything, if you know how to properly lock your string on the shaft.
    Not necessarely. Take the time to play what you have and adjust the pup heights. You could be pleasantly surprised about what will come out that simple adjustment many people forget. What year is your SG ? If it's recent, it might have Probuckers in there and those are just incredible pups. I got a set for a good price and I put them in my LP Ultra. Thunderilous !
    I did, but mostly after playing them for at least a full year before getting to feel what exactly they needed to make them sound better.

Your SG Pro is a very good guitar as it is. If I were you, I would keep my money for a better amp, because that is a major factor in the tone you'll get. Much much more than any mods you will do to that SG.

Chenosaurus and plankton like this.
  9. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Winding your strings on the tuner post as pictured below will make any tuner a locking tuner.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    Chenosaurus likes this.
  10. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

This is all really good advice.

Chenosaurus and DrBGood like this.
  11. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed post. i am definitely reconsidering replacing my PuPs now!

the amp i am currently using is a very beaten up valve amp which is not ideal haha... i have a busted laney ironheart 60H which sounds incredible. just gotta get it fixed ASAP

really interesting about the locking tuners too, i could'nt justify that kind of price anyway and i'm pretty good at stringing my guitars neatly, but i don't do that little tuck-under bit you've shown in the picture. definitely going to give that a go.

i think i will fix up my good amp, play around with my SG a little, adjust PuP heights and if i am still not satisfied THEN ill consider new PuPs.

thank you so much for taking the time to give such detailed and valuable knowledge. i have learnt so much from this forum already!

12. DrBGood

How to lock your strings.

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

GraphX12 and cerebral gasket like this.
  13. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding the larger version of that third photo down that I posted earlier. I lost it some time ago after I took it from one of my SG Special Faded.

DrBGood likes this.
  14. Chenosaurus

Chenosaurus Member

i have to restring my guitar soon so i will definitely give this method a go!

thank you again :)

15. DrBGood

It's your's ? Cool.

cerebral gasket likes this.