Need a break

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Haven't touched a guitar in over a week. Sick of looking at 'em. Tired of hearing about 'em. Guess I picked a bad time to quit smoking huh?:dunno:

So anyhoo, if ya don't hear from me for a while I ain't dead yet (maybe) and if you're looking for me I'll be out in my woods running around looking for snakes, armadillos, coyotes, or hogs to shoot. I posted this so some of the folks I yack with here won't think I'm being snooty or anything like that by not posting or responding (as I won't be here). I'm just burnt out and need a break from guitar stuff. (and no, nobody made me mad or nuthin' like that either..) See ya'll after a while, I heading out to the woods for a walkabout. :wave:

2. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Have a nice walkabout!

3. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Hi Wade , we all get like that sometimes , so enjoy blasin those critters to bits , if i lived neer you i'd join you for the hog :) ) , cheers
    Alan

4. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Speak soon big bro! :dude:

5. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

Good luck with the break! I think fresh air is the perfect complement to giving up smoking. May your aim ever be true.

6. WavMixer

WavMixer Well-Known Member

Well then you probably won't read this until your break is over.... So welcome back and I hope you had a great time, caught lots o' critters and absence from your guitar has made your heart fonder of playing. I heard a rumor that your guitar has missed you fondling it's g-string

7. Iván

Iván Active Member

Hear ya, Wade, I hope you are as fine as possible. Hugs and cheers to you friend!

8. Tobacco Worm

Well two full days in the woods was refreshing! My place is large enough for me to fully disappear on and getting back into the woods was great. Set up camp in a small clearing among the large pines, cedars, and live oaks was just what the doctor ordered. My dogs loved it since old pop was living in the woods and not in the little house. No hogs showed up, but in the 95° plus heat with around 87% humidity, they stayed way back in the deep woods. But I did manage to drill an armadillo with my new pistol! Yee haa!!

Bill got a surprise when he came looking for me yesterday evening though. I didn't tell him I wasn't going to be at the house and he had called and got no answer so he came over to check on me. Then as he was walking around the house with the dogs bugging him I slipped up next to him all cammo'ed out and armed like a bandito of old. I though he was gonna jump out of his skin! The look on his face was priceless!:laugh2:

But after two days in the grueling heat and humidity, I know that my old body was refreshed enough in one respect and wearing down in another. So I came back in just a few minutes ago. Had my breakfast in the woods though before I broke camp and gave the dogs some of my cooking as I made more so they could join me. Right now I stink of sweat, woodsmoke, and G.I. bug-juice (insect repellent) and if you could smell me right now I think you'd pass out! My little inside kitties were all excited to see pop until they got close and smelled me. Then it was like they couldn't get away from me fast enough! :io:

So, what have I missed? Anything new in the world of guitar knobs and such? Still haven't looked at a guitar yet. Maybe later. Maybe not. I'm in no hurry....

Alright ladies, the old staff sergeant is back on line and ready for battle. Got my internal batteries all charged up from rompin' through the woods and life is good. I think I'll do this more often, but no more in the heat of the summer. But this fall, I'll go back out and stay longer. OK, off to the shower and then maybe later I'll go to town and buy me a diet Dr. Pepper or something and look for some more .22LR ammo. :)

9. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I've lived in a small town near the wilderness all my life. Five minute walk and I'm in the bush. Sometimes you just gotta get away by yourself and recharge. No better way I know of than camping in the wilderness. Glad you had a good time. Welcome back.

Dadou likes this.
  10. LPBR

LPBR Active Member

Everything is good, unless by to shot against undefensable animals. I keep thinking of the poor armadillo going home to feed her cubs and then going shoot by someone that decided to kill the creature just because thought that it was 'nice' and 'fun'.

I am definitively against hunting. Cannot see any fun on it.

And sincerely to attack an armadillo with a pistol is not minimally fair, as the animal won't have any chance. I can't even call it a hunt. It is not too much more than chase an ant and stomp it.

Now if the guy struggle with something more balanced -- say a wolf -- and use a hunting knife instead a pistol, well, this is cool.

Tobacco, I like you bro, but sincerely to shot a cute and harmless creature like an armadillo should make you feel too much more sick than look at you guitars...

:(

11. Melmord Fjordslorn

Melmord Fjordslorn Active Member

You know what else is cool? Watching an ecosystem of animals starve due to overpopulation.

Grow a pair, bro.

Alex_SG likes this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

OK, here we go......

1. The armadillo is not a native species of Texas nor North America. In 1930 they had migrated up from South America as far as the Rio Grande Valley at the Mexican/US border. They pushed north into the southwestern part of the US and were approaching the Oklahoma border and still going.

2. Armadillos have four identical off springs every 4 months. They breed like rats. Their lair is always at the base of a tree or a wooden corner post of a fence. The burrow down and destroy the tree. They destroy the fence post thus allowing the fence to go down and cattle to escape the pastures and wander onto the roads and worse.They also burrow under utility poles such as power pole and light poles. When the pole falls it takes down live electric wires. Cutting power, causing fires, and costing us still more in losses.

3. The amount of damage and the cost to repair and restore the losses mount up more and more each year. They invade people's gardens and destroy them. They get onto lawns and golf courses and destroy them as well. They will root about in pastures like miniature semi armor plated hogs and dig up the ground and creating hazards that injure livestock like cattle and horses. Often legs are broken as a result.

4. Armadillos carry internal and external parasites that infect the native animals and have been known to be carriers of leprosy and other skins disorders that effect human beings along with other mammals.

5. Much like feral hogs, another non-native invading species that destroys everything in it's path, the armadillo is a scourge to this country and if they are allowed to flourish as they have they will be as far north as Kansas and Kentucky in under ten years or less. The will continue north if not stopped.

So I find the armadillo to be an evil invading non-native species carrying and spreading disease among the native animals. Destroying property and livestock and costing both the land owners and others valuable property losses and we're all footing the bill in one way or another. So if someone feels that this disgusting vile creature is cute and cuddly then by all means adopt as many as they wish. Myself, and countless others in my part of the country will continue to shoot as many as we can. Whenever we can. Until these ugly nasty animals have been wiped out and gone from this country.

Still think they're cute?

Oh, and as to struggling with something that is intent on killing you, try defending yourself and others with an entrenching tool against an NVA soldier with an AK47 with a fixed bayonet in a semi-enclosed bunker entrance during an attack on your firebase after being overrun. Was the last combatant still standing in my area defending the small infirmary where we had injured and dying troops with two medics to tend to them all. I'd shot my weapons until empty and....Well I'm still here aren't I....Oh yeah, that was lots of fun....

Bullfrog, DoodoaXD, Karathas and 4 others like this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Digging the new Avatar Wade. ;)
    Some hunt, some don't, bambi is cute....but also tasty, some use guns, some just have them to use....if needed.....some people know where this post is going and some don't..............I have no friggin idea ......does this forum have a GPS??????

Alex_SG likes this.
  14. Alex_SG

Adrian, I'll send you a slide rule and a map! I don't think my GPS will come out of my head in one piece... :dunno:

15. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Nope. We don't need to be told where to turn. But, sometimes we do need to be told when to stop!

Alex_SG likes this.
  16. Alex_SG

17. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Alex I am going to need a flow chart.......Smitty, I am an unstoppable force.....or is that farce????? hhhmmm........

Bullfrog, smitty_p and Alex_SG like this.
  18. Alex_SG

OK... I'll see what I can rustle up!

19. LPBR

LPBR Active Member

Thanks for the clarification, I had no idea that it was such a plague there. Here in Brasil, armadillo is a menaced species close to the extinction so they are protected. Seems that there they are so harmful as rats, uh?

Until read your post I didn't know about the leprosys stuff, so I was research and learnt that it is passed when people eats their flesh. Yuck! I really am not an adept of hunt flesh because indeed wild animals can carry so many diseases.

Here in Brasil we don't have cases of armadillos eat posts or invade properties, etc. Maybe that's because they are in a small number? Anyway, we don't have them in my area. I guess that they are most common at Amazon region.

Anyway, carry on and sorry if I seemed rude, it wasn't the idea!

:thumb:

PS: I am still keep not being a hunting fan. I think that weapons should be used only against bad human beings! LoL!

:laugh2:

20. Tobacco Worm

Thanks for understanding the situation. As to hunting, I grew up on a reservation. That is where the US government placed us indians when they took all our land and dumped us on the parts they took that they didn't want. The reservation I come from is the poorest county in the entire US. Our reservation is also the poorest among all. I have seen some of our people living in tar-paper shacks and abandoned car bodies for their home. We get little from the government now, as in the beginning when first placed on the reservation in the 1880's or so. We are often hungry as a result.

As a young lad I would take my rifle, mount my horse and go hunt. I would take deer, antelope, elk (not many) and other game animals and bring the meat back for many families. I began supplying meat for dozens of people in this manner. This is a traditional act as well among the Lakota. A young man would hunt to feed those that could not. I was honored to be able to supply my people with food that could have been near starvation otherwise.

We Lakota, when making a kill on game, will say this above the fallen animal "Thank you brother for your strength you have given to my people. We will live because of you. When we die and return to nourish the earth and new grass grows we will then feed your children. We are both part of the Circle of Life as The Creator meant us to be."

I have hunted since I was seven years old when I used a small bow to take rabbits in the fields and prairie. These rabbits were game taken to help feed my family and others even then. I am, and always have been, part of The Circle of Life. When I am dead I will be taken back to Wounded Knee where some of my relatives were murdered, and will be scattered across the prairie to fulfill my part of the Circle.