Need advice. Please help

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Martin, Jan 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Martin

Martin New Member

So my Stepfather has a 62 Gibson sg I can buy it for $ 300 u s. The problems will commence. Here are pics sadly, no date confirmed, Can I find a date through some labeling on the pickups? Wiring? Is it worth a buy? It's clearly missing the string saddle is that vibrola legit? It looks machined and its reversed from every other vibrola I have seen. Any advice? Is it worth a buy just for the body? The headstock and sadly serial number are gone. Help????

2. Martin

Martin New Member

Wow this site uses angel fire and all. Scary unsafe

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Yeah this site is pretty backwards.

I dont see any pics ... a real gibson 62 sg crap yeah buy it! Sell it to me!

4. Martin

Martin New Member

How do I post pics on this site:)

5. Martin

Martin New Member

Pics :)

Attached Files:

6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Some of the guys here are real experts on the old sgs you will get some answers soon.

To me its a no brainer to buy it then you have to decide what next!

Ray likes this.
  7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Check the pot codes in the control cavity.
    You should see numbers in the format:

137YYWW
    134YYWW

137 = CTS
    134 = Centralab
    YY = Year
    WW = Week

Example:

134 = Centralab
    YY = 63 (1963)
    WW = 26 (Week 26 of 1963)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  8. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

The codes on the potentiometers will give you the earliest date it might have been produced

• The source-date code on a pot is a 6 or 7 digit code impressed into the casing of the potentiometer. For speakers this code can be 5, 6, 7 or 8 digits long, and it's ink-stamped or paint-stamped on the "bell housing" of the speaker.

In either case, the code works the same. The first 3 digits on a pot, or the first 2, 3 or 4 digits on a speaker are the source or manufacturer code.

The remaining 3 or 4 digits are the date code. In 3 digit dates code, the 1st digit is the last digit of the year. On 4 digits date codes, the 1st and 2nd digits are the last two digits of the year. In either case, the remaining 2 digits are the week of manufacture (01 to 52). With this in mind, remember if the last two digits of the source-date code are greater than 52, you're not looking at the source-date code!

Also it's worth mentioning:
      • Sometimes there is a space or hyphen between the manuafacturer code and the year/week code.
      • 3 digit date codes were used in the 1940's and 1950's. Stackpole for example converted from three to four digit date codes in late 1959.
      • 4 digit date codes were used in the 1960's and later (this makes determining the year much simplier!)
      • On 3 digit date codes, you have to "guess" the decade of the pot or speaker. Usually this isn't too difficult.
      • [​IMG]

Pots used by Fender. The middle one is a CTS pot (Chicago Telephone Supply, manufacturer #137) from the 30th week of 1966. The pots on the left and right are Stackpole pots (manufacture #304). Note the different position of the markings, even on pots from the same maker.

Ray and cerebral gasket like this.
  9. Martin

Martin New Member

Thanks man. Any idea on the vibrola? it looks not stock. it's missing the string saddle. Thanks for the info I'm going to buy it with tax refund so hopefully I can post back soon with date updates:)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  10. cerebral gasket

I used to have a 63 SG Special with the same short vibrola as your SG Junior. It had a Lightning Bar Wraparound Compensating Bridge. I used to string mine up as a wraparound bridge only and not use the vibrola. I later removed the vibrola completely and left the three screw holes exposed which did not bother me at all.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  11. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

It looks good to me, some gut shots will verify it. Sounds like a great deal, do you have somebody to make you a new headstock?

12. Martin

Martin New Member

Any idea on the cost of a headstock replacement? Also can anyone figure out what's up with the vibrola? the arm is mounted completely opposite from all sg pics I have seen.

13. Martin

Martin New Member

Any one care to throw out a clue on how much this may be worth before and after repairs?

14. cerebral gasket

Are you referring to how it is slid over on the spring? You need to slide the piece that the arm is connected to over towards the high E string so that both ends of that part indicated by the yellow arrows are flush with the edges of the spring as pictured below.

[​IMG]

Pictured below is the spring by itself. This one is from a 1970 SG Junior but it functions the same as the earlier models. The part that has the arm attached will completely slide off the spring when no strings attached.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  15. Martin

Martin New Member

16. Martin

Martin New Member

Lol yes that's it :) Now to get it and date it from the pots. Still curious about headstock and missing bridge replacement cost/ options?

17. Martin

Martin New Member

Does anyone know if there is a date stamp underneath neck pocket on this?

18. cerebral gasket

These have a set neck, therefore a date stamp underneath the neck pocket would seem illogical. By the looks of that neck heel joint with how elongated it is, this one looks like a 1965 model.

Bridge = Gibson PTTP-070

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  19. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

The value of it is gonna be dependant on the quality of the job. Original tuners and bridge will probably set you back another $200.00 but i think you will still come out great on that deal. Probably the worst thing will be the lack of a serial number.