Need help buying my first SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Emile937, May 7, 2018.

1. Emile937

Emile937 New Member

So the SG has proven to be an appealing guitar to me and since I am no rich kid, I'll be getting either a SG special VE, or a G-400 pro, I've been playing guitar on acoustic for 8 months, I am not a superb guitarist and need some improvements in the chord department, but I am doing well for now, I thought about getting the special since as a beginner and I don't think I have the expertise to use a G-400 pro, if I get the VE, I'll get it in June, however, if I choose to get the G-400 pro, I'll probably have to wait until September or perhaps a bit sooner, and my first amp will be a laney 10 watt tube amp, so should I wait for the G-400 or get the special VE?

Duane_the_tub likes this.
  2. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Member

I don't have any experience with those particular models, but a good rule of thumb is to buy gear you won't outgrow quickly, and that will have resale value if and when you decide to either upgrade or cut bait.

Why a tube amp?

3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

Wait, and get the better guitar. Your skill level will improve on either, but you'll outgrow the special quicker.

dub-setter and plankton like this.
  4. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG, and good luck in your quest!

My first suggestion is to get the best used guitar you can afford.
    You pay a lot more for a new guitar, and that value disappears as soon as
    you open the box.
    If you buy a decent used guitar, its value won't change much, and you can sell
    it for similar money. Buying used, you can get a lot more guitar for the money
    you spend. Clean it well, and then play it loud.

My second suggestion is to save enough money to get your new (used) guitar
    professionally set up. Getting a professional setup job done can cost like $80,
    but you should consider it as part of the cost of the instrument. If you choose the
    right luthier, the setup job can correct any problems the guitar might have.
    This will enhance your electric guitar experience much more than you might think
    if you've never considered it before.

How do you find the right luthier? Ask some local pro guitarists where they
    take their instruments for service. Keep asking until you hear the same name
    enough times. Then you know.

My third suggestion is to take an experienced guitarist with you when you go
    shopping for guitars. Go where they sell used Epiphone G-400s, and used Gibson
    SG faded specials. Play as many as they'll let you. If nothing rings your bell,
    keep looking. There are lots of great used SGs out there for sale. You will find
    one that sounds and feels like it's the one.

I think a used Epiphone G-400 can be had for reasonable money. You save enough
    buying it used that you can spend some on the setup. Setup is crucial. I believe
    that a well setup Epiphone G-400 is a much more useful guitar than a poorly set up
    Gibson costing ten times as much.

An Epiphone G-400 makes an excellent first Electric, as does a Gibson
    SG faded special, for a few hundred more.

Epiphones respond really well to upgrades, so as your playing improves and your
    ear gets better and your demands become more sophisticated, you can upgrade
    your trusty Epiphone to keep pace. AND without spending way too much money.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Because they're awesome, and personally if I had to choose I'd rather spend money on a great amp and have an average guitar.

+1 on this

and this too

I have a G400 Pro and can recommend them highly. You don't need a certain level of ability to play any guitar. Save up for the better one or better yet get one used. Those little Laneys are great tube amps for the money too, I have a Cub12R and it sounds amazing, especially with the G400.

SG standard likes this.
  6. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

Watch it SG's are more-ish:-)
    +1 on all of the above, esp the advice to get the best used SG your budget will stand. If you're lucky you'll get one thats already been properly set up, or get this done yourself. If you buy a Laney Cub get the 12R for the reverb, < 1 watt input and 12" speaker. I had one for a while and liked it but but ended up swapping if for another ...... Epi SG p90 (scratches head); oh well.

7. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

If you're looking at the 10-watt Laney Cub 10, may I suggesting stepping up (in quality) and stepping down (in price) to the Monoprice 15-watt tube amp? It's roughly 200+shipping, sometimes a little less if on sale. I've played the 5-watter and it's a snarly little thing. The Monoprice is basically the exact same circuit as the Laney Cub 12R.

And about the SG? Exactly what the good Col. Mustard said.

Actually... I have no idea what shipping would cost, but I'm actually trying to move an Epiphone G400 Pro that's very well setup and upgraded with new GFS "Mean 90" pickups and electronics. Comes with a bag, strap, and strap locks... Nothing wrong with it, just recouping some funds for a 40-watt Marshall I just impulse-bought. ;) I can almost certainly get it to your door cheaper than a new one. Message me if you're interested.

8. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Member

Listen, there's no expertise needed to play a certain guitar. You can play any guitar you like, they all work the same. But before you buy your guitar make sure you play it. Don't order one online. Find one that looks good, that looks good on you, that looks awesome and makes you feel awesome. Play them. Get the one that you bond with, the one that feels good to play, that makes you feel good when you play it. If everything works on it, the way it's supposed to, if it is built as a guitar is supposed to and you feel that this is a guitar you will desire to play as much as possible, then this is your guitar. Cheap, expensive, price is irrelevant. This guitar will be your friend, your partner, your weapon. NEVER care what anyone thinks of it.

9. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

The G400 is still not expensive but way better to practice on and enjoy your playing.

For a 10 watt amp at low price with great features i would recommend blackstar core 10 v2 its 100 bucks.

A little more also a good option is low end boss katana excellent features.

Good luck!

Roca likes this.
  10. Roca

Roca Active Member

I bought a 66 reissue g400 pro and a blackstar 10 v2 for 350 all together at GC. I'm a new player but I am really pleased with the quality and range of both.