Need Help Identifying Japanese Made 70s SG

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by asarmiento, Feb 26, 2020.

1. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

Hi guys, newbie here, I'm really happy I found this forum.

I've been wanting a japanese sg for a while now and a local guy who goes to the same luthier is selling one. He says its an early 70s model, "probably" made by Ibanez. Thing is there are no markings on it whatsoever - no serial, no mij stamp - save for a Gibson decal that he covered up that was there when he got it. Pups have been swapped but he said the luthier commented that there were markings on the original pups that proves they were japan-made. Unfortunately those pups were sold earlier so I cant confirm.

I was hoping someone could shed some light on this or maybe tell me what specific things I should ask better photos of to check (pots maybe?). Any help would be amazing, thanks guys!:smile:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It's Japanese. I can confirm because I know Korean guitars and it's not that, which is pretty much the only other possibility.

I'd probably agree Fujigen (who made Ibanezes) is a likely builder. Looks a lot like the 2354S in this 1972 Ibanez catalog:

[​IMG]

Seems they were made from around 1971 until 1975.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
    loafie and asarmiento like this.
  3. Fergyuk

Fergyuk Member

I think they were made in the FujiGen factory in Japan during the 70's, I have a 70's branded Antoria which were imported by James T. Coppock (Leeds) Ltd and Charles Summerfield Ltd.
    [​IMG]

4. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

wow, thank you so much! i was just thrown off by the lack of any "made in japan" markings and the Gibson decal on the headstock (seller says its engraved on the wood), I didn't know they actually did that to the early copies.

5. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

thank you so much for this info!

6. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

this is NICE!

7. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

update: the seller shared some photos of the gibson decal on headstock before he covered it up *with a marker so ut should come off, if ever).

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

I disagree with the Fuji Gen Gakki builder. They tended to have square inlays. Matsumoku had the rounded off ones. And does it have a white/black/white neck binding? If it does, it's an Uncle Matt. (Could also be a Cushin Gen Gakki.)

9. asarmiento

asarmiento New Member

I think its just the white binding on the sides. I can reach out to the seller to confirm. Did Matsumoku come out with unstamped neck plates? The one on this one has nothing on it...

10. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

I love how they market the Bolton as "detachable neck", lol

11. Bad Penguin

Hmmm, generally, they said "steel adjustable neck, made in Japan" on the plate. Soooo... ok, I haven't a clue.

12. Scotty Chandler

Scotty Chandler New Member

5492F87C-5E93-4BB6-A4E9-B39A5FCE3E36.jpeg Is the body a pancake style? Two pieces with a thin layer of maple in the middle? Is the neck laminated? I have one very similar to it, and the neck is laminate cut longways. You can see the stripes through the coating. What throws me off is the placement of the toggle switch in relation to the upper pot knobs, and also the input jack. Matty’s are in a straight line, not slightly offset like yours.

Attached Files:

13. Bad Penguin

Here's another question for you. Upon closer inspection, those tuners look IDENTICAL to the ones I have on my 77 Aria Pro II PE 130. Along with the rounded inlays, still makes me think of Uncle Matt.
    dfnavbg8a93vw3ja2trh.jpg
    Picture is NOT mine, just one stolen from reverb.