Need Help !

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by mr_dj07, Jun 26, 2008.

1. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Hey guys !

This is now the time where I need your expertise...

I was walking towards school, and I had to go look at some place for a t-shirt.

I stepped in, and there was a nige guitar hanging on the wall.

Turns out it's a Gibson Les Paul... The price ? 600 freaking dollars. I'm really excited about this one but I just wanna make sure this ain't no scam.

Okay first ! The serial number. 00170438. I believe it makes it a 2000 right ?

The guitar is a regular cherry burst, grover tuners, no pickguard.

Now some oddities, The bridge pickup is open-coil, which could make it a "third party" pickup, a replacement. The neck pickup seems like a regular humbucker, nickel covered.

The truss rod covers says (As I can recall) Les Paul Standard, pretty much in the style of this truss rod cover: [​IMG]

There was no pickup selector ring (that says rythm or treble), one piece body, seemed like a two piece neck, you can see the separation of the two pieces, doing an arc, a bit under the headstock.

There was a sticker on the electronics back plate, that kinda looked like this. [​IMG]

The serial number was pressed in the wood, MADE IN USA with the serial number, and seems like is was colored in black (the serial and MADE IN THE USA press).

The closest picture I could find of the guitar is this one [​IMG].

The only differences would be the bridge pickup (now a black open coil) and the grover tuners.

So ! Am I right about the serial ? And what do you think of the deal ?

I'd appreciate quick replies, because I am seriously considering to buy it tomorrow morning. I'll try to take it a bit apart to check out the pickups and the electronics.

Any advice on stuff to check out ? I don't wanna be scammed and realize later that it's crap...

THANK YOU :D :D

2. Spunky

Spunky Active Member

The neck should be a one piece unit.... ;)

3. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

600 for a LP standard is a bit cheep! have you played it? id say go for it if you like the way it plays!

4. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Feels ten thousand times better than my Epi LP.

The thing is that the people at the store have no idea what they have. The guy knows 0 about guitars, and couldn't even tell for how long they had the guitar.

I really think I'll go for it !

5. jetlag

jetlag Member

Make sure you show us some pics as soon as you get it ;)

6. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

I'd go for it if you have the money. If after posting some pics here and showing it to the experts it turns out to be a copy or whatnot, I'm sure you can return it and get your money back.

7. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

The Gibson counterfeits are getting better and better. From your description, its sounds like a fake with some mods done to it. Check out this link and you may see one just like it without the mods. It's probably worth about $300 to $400 if that. I would stay away and save up for a real Gibson. Also if the storeowner put a price of $600, I think he has a idea of it's worth. I think he knows it's a fake. Playing dumb is common in this scam.
    http://www.mymusia.com/

Here'a one with the sticker you mentioned
    http://www.mymusia.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_47&products_id=269
    And it has Custom Shop Ser.# and it's only $249!! So you get the idea.

8. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Woah man !

These counterfits are really hard to tell !!

So... what could be the ways to tell if it's a fake or not ?

'Cause I mean... Check this out... http://www.mymusia.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_47&products_id=556

It's exactly like that... Damn I thought I was on something. This is kind of frustrating... They even have the pressed serial number and all... The pearl logo too... (well looks like)...

Thanks a lot guys ! I'll go check it out tomorrow and try to nag out some things.

Do you think it should habe an ABR-1 bridge if it's a Gibby ? What else should I check out ?

9. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

use to be 3 screws in the truss rod cover but they have fixed that another is the SN but the most common sign is price BUT i have played a couple of fakes that play like the real things and if you like the guitar and you think its worth the 600 i say go for it! regardless if its fake or not

10. bradsure

bradsure Active Member

[quote author=mr_dj07 link=topic=17223.msg214381#msg214381 date=1214522440]
    Woah man !

These counterfits are really hard to tell !!

So... what could be the ways to tell if it's a fake or not ?
    [/quote]
    The black inked stamped ser#, sticker on the back and the price for starters. You used to be able to tell by the Gibson on the headstock and the trussrod cover but the scammers are getting better.

11. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

oh yea and another way to tell is if it has what looks more like Gibsun on the headstock

12. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

I think I'll offer the guy 50 bucks for it.

13. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

well, the already mentioned 'neck should be a one piece unit' is a good way to identify a fake...
    a original would be one piece, if not its a fake.

the truss rod cover should also just say 'standard' like this.
    [​IMG]

the ppl at the store are also obviously bullshitting and hiding something when they cant even tell how long they've had it.

14. mr_dj07

mr_dj07 Member

Yeah but I tought I''ve seen a Gibson with that Truss Rod before.... Until I realised they are on the new Epiphones.

15. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

ya know it is Illeagle to sell counterfit guitars! not to own them but to sell them that is against the law! you can read more about that here http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/CounterfeitGibsons/ take a look at the pots and jack Gibson uses a plate to hold them together if it doesn't have that its fake I never really realised before how seriously the law is taking this till i read the article above!! and 600 would be just about right for a counterfit guitar to be sold for 100% profit!