NEPNSGD!!!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Ray, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

:D:rofl:Not Exactly Planned New SG Day!!!:D:rofl:

Woohoo! Yesterday I became the owner of a real cool cherrycolored (read : "Strawberry Jam") 2000 SG Standard!!! I've played it a lot, hehe, never in my life have I played a guitar to so much before paying for it!

My bandmate is not that into headdives and SGs, and this guitar hasnt been played by anybody but me the last 14 months. He mentioned selling this babe and that was it.:D I have aired the idea earlier, hehe... Oh yeah, I been wanting this guitar for a while, hehe. It plays real supernice and has got a beautiful "strawberry-jam" color, a very, very neat color I think.

Ive borrowed this baby at several rehearsals, used it for recording, and just like this guitar a lot. Its just sweet. The neck on this, I believe it is just slightly rounder than on my Standard 2018, but nowhere near as round as f.example a 1973 LP Deluxe Gold Top I once had. Actually I ve never noticed that the neck was a notch thicker than on my 2011 SG Special 60s Tribute or my 2018 Standard, and as I said, Ive liked this guitar the whole way and been wanting it pretty bad to tell the truth:D

The frets are pretty worn on the lowest area, but this baby is of course by far playable and ready to be burnin'! And most of the bucklerash here comes from me I think, hehe!

New very familar SG here, yeah:D
    Actually, if you wanna you can hear my new SG on last years single by my band SKADA here:

(the howls following the vocals in the chorus - thats this baby!:D

The pups are 498T and 490R - but not for long, hehe!:D
    Thats a 57 Classic for the bridge, there with the box, picked up today:rofl: Pickin up one for the neck next week! :D

Edit: Not to mention, its already been modded with Grover Locking Tuners!:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    PixMix, Dale, bwotw and 8 others like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Wait i am losing track is this SG #3 now? Congrats!

Ray likes this.
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks, man!:D Yeah, thats right, got me a trio of SGs now!:D
    Really nice deal, paid approx Ebayprice, which is around 700 Euro or, and I got it for 500 Euro. Unoriginal tuners, fretwear, dings and scrathes we agreed it was a good deal for both of us. I still cant believe its mine now. God damn, its so cool. Have to get a group pic of my trio uploaded her real soon:D!

This is just so cool!:D

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Gratulerer! Great looking guitar. You say you're putting a 57 Classic in the bridge. Would that be a 57 Classic+ or a regular 57 Classic? (Either way, great pickup!)

Ray likes this.
  5. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Takker! Gjør seg med en ny SG rett før jul, eller hva?:D Yeah, thanks man, me too, I really like the look of this baby - and its gonna sound equally nice with a 57 Classic! Thats a 57 Classic regular - superclassic SG-sound for this baby - I won't take no chances; you never know when you suddenly need that "High Voltage/1976-Angus"-sound:D

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Gahr likes this.
  6. papagayo

papagayo Active Member

Nice SG Standard, turn the ABR 1 bridge in the correct position .

Locking Grover are not too heavy ?

Ray likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks! Grovers works just fine with me, as I read somewhere on the forum here: a big, solid leatherstrap helps! I like Grovers, the way they stay solidly in tune and the way they fine-tune so easily (and stays there.)
    Regarding the ABR: Yeah, I know, will do that.

Now, gotta throw some riffs here!:D

Edit: typo and cross-eyedness, hehe.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
  8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Awrite! The PAFS are in da house :) Got the last Gibson 57 Classic in any store in Oslo! ( Online shoppers are quing up hehe.) This pair will make this baby sound as classic as it looks. Juuuust nice.

Gahr and GrumpyOldDBA like this.
  9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

So ... I installed the Gibson 57 Classics last night, but the neck pu is d-e-a-d. Cant figure out why. The bridge pu works and sounds like it should. I get "normal", low humming when the pots for the neck-pu is rolled up. Twice I have soldered the neck-pu now, carefully, but no luck.

I think I maybe have to try the 490R again, to make sure the error is not in the wiring/electronics. If anyone here have experienced the same - and fixed it - I would appreciate a tip or two.

10. 4wight

4wight New Member

Have you run a multimeter on the pickup to see what it reads? It sounds like you can't tell if the pickup or the wiring is at fault, but if you get a reading from the pickup on a multimeter then it's definitely the wiring.

11. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

excellent song, thanks for the video...
    good music is good, no matter what language. Music makes a bridge.

+1 on what 4wight said, the problem is very likely faulty installation.
    Maybe you melted the inside of a pot, or broke the insulation on a
    wire, or put on something backward. Easy mistake to do, and we've all probably done this. I know that I have.

Dale and Ray like this.
  12. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks, Col, glad you dug the song and the video!

(Sidenote: the single Hugo was a birthdaypresent for one of Norways maybe most used - and infamous - pro livesoundguys, Hugo Alvarstein, former member of Norways probably biggest band, Raga Rockers. (He also produced the SKADA album from 2016 (I'm hadnt joined the band yet by then, Hugo was my debut. Had been in the band for å month. Yeah!)

Regarding the dead pu, I'm sure you are right. It could be a melted pot or other damage caused while soldering. Gonna try the 490 first again now. Report will come shortly!

4wight: yeah I should get me a multimeter.That would certainly help here, spending time on this is no fun compared to playing this babe.

"No fun, my babe, no fun!"

13. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Meanwhile you can drool on this nudiepic and these inlays ;) (I love the ebonylooking rosewood too)

Also I have found out its a Nashville guitar. It weighs way more than my two other SGs..And I like that. The neck is rounder, but that weight puzzles me. This beauty has a onepiece body, but IMO that does not explain the weight ...This guitar really feels like a solid guitar, it has ... something ... new SGs dont have IMO. But my fave is still my Autumn Beast:) IMG_20181218_191314.jpg IMG_20181218_191403.jpg IMG_20181218_191548.jpg IMG_20181218_191519.jpg

syscokid likes this.
  14. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Its definately not the pu. I think the volumepot must have suffered too much during the soldering. New volumepot for neck on my wishlist then - and better soldering skills. :-/

Dale and Worblehat like this.
  15. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I know your situation. I just destroyed a volume pot recently with my newbie soldering attempts. Needed to get a new pot, a better soldering iron and some practice. Sure it's more fun when the soldering is done and the guitar is ready to play but tinkering with it is also a rewarding experience!

Nice nude pics by the way :naughty: But the frets look really run-down. Doesn't it bother you?

Ray likes this.
  16. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Hehe, thanks on behalf of the red nymph. Hehe, yeah, solderingskills has to be kept up I guess ..First I gotta get me a small solderingiron. Had this big 60 w and its not very practical... And yeah, the tinkering is fun - all the time I think know what I'm doing, hehe. Nah,its fun that part too. Just a little downer, that pot-meltdown. But thats death, uh, life, I mean.;)

Yeah, those frets ... Its not like the strings gets caught in the wear and tear. The "tracks" are nicely rounded, so the wear doesnt affect my playing much. And I got the guitar pretty cheap I think. Mostly because of the fretwear. It plays real supernice. Actually I've always liked near-dead-played frets, hehe, although I prefer more all-over-the-neck-wear, not just rhythm guitar-wear,hehe) Easy action and no effort pressing the strings down - I cant wait for my 2018 Standard to get 20 years of wear and tear. Mmm ... that will be nice. IMO the most beat-up looking guitars are the coolest ones. ( I guess the demand for ridicilously priced Les Pauls with "authentic" bucklerash, bitemarks and pukestains goes to show I'm not alone in digging beat-up looking guitars... )

Yeah. So I got me a red, batwinged SG ...

The fun thing is, before I laid hands on this axe, I didnt at all fancy a RED SG, nor batwings, and this more rounded neck was not a first choice ...

But here I am. Owner of a arch-typical SG - red and batwinged. Who would have thought..? At least not me, if you asked me two years ago..

You know, some guitars just feels right. This guitar - it has real heavy-duty-craftmansship-feeling to it. An SG Standard was way more expensive in 2000 compared to now, considering wages in 2000, inflation etc., and that makes me wonder if Gibson put a little bit more money and effort into prodution back then, to get these babies sold a such a high price. In addition I guess Gibson are way more concerned now in being more environment friendly, using parts that would have been dismissed as second-grade earlier. (Just take a look at the 2018 Standards' inlays - pretty dull stuff. No non-CS SG Standards Ive seen the later years have had inlays like this nearly twenty year old beauty!)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Inlays compared ...

necks.jpg

18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I getting a new volume pot, but I'm not 101 % certain ... The stock volume pot on 2000 Standards was a 300k pot, right ..?

19. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

I totally know what you mean. Two years ago I wasn't even attracted to SGs. Then I bought a black one, thinking the cherry red ones look kinda lame. I also thought one SG will be enough for the rest of my life. Why would I need another one... An now I am currently GASing over a Cherry Red Gibson SG. No idea how that happened :rofl:

Dale and Ray like this.
  20. Worblehat

Worblehat Active Member

Those inlays look really fancy. Never payed much attention to the differences before. But then I must admit, that I don't really like the look of mother of pearl in inlays or pickguards (or anything else). I prefer the inlays on my Epiphone Iommi SG. They look more like brushed steel (although they are probably just plastic).

Ray likes this.