Never called 911 before

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Well the first time someone called 911 for me in the area I live now was when my first heart attack occurred. The 911 people said they couldn't find me where I worked. It was not in their system. A seven mile trip from the city to the job took the ambulance 45 minutes to locate the place. I had an old man telling them step by step how to reach me. Pathetic....

This morning at 2AM I had an attack that ultimately sent me to the hospital. The classic cold clammy sweat. Labored and rapid breathing. Blood pressure at first quit high, then later dropping well below normal. Chest pains. You know the classic symptoms of an all out heart attack.... This time I didn't drive myself to the hospital. I was too far gone to do that, so I called 911. Yeah, this one spooked me. It was bad.....

As I gasping and fighting for air I was asked to state my address. Repeat it twice for verification! Then as I'm watching my BP drop below anything even remotely called safe, they tell me they can't find my location. I ended up giving them driving directions in between gasping for air, shaking like a leaf, and on the very edge of loosing consciousness. They could not find the road I lived on in their system. I told ya computers hate me.

When the EMS unit arrived, they parked at the gate and sat there. I bid the 911 operator a good morning and hung up the phone. Went out and closed and locked my front door, then walked toward the gate 65 yards away in the darkness to the ambulance. An EMT meets me at the ambulance and asked how I was doing. "Lovely. Having an apparent heart attack, but otherwise just dandy. How 'bout you?" I gasped as my dogs were in total panic around me. As they opened the door to the box, Hanna, my 'Rin Tin Tin' type dog, is trying her damnedest to get inside the box with me. The EMT went to kick her out of the door when I told him that I'd gut him from crotch to eyeball if he touched my dog. I told Hanna to wait for papa as I'll be back. She went to the gate and stood as the EMT looked on not knowing that I was serious about opening him up like a watermelon if he hurt my dog.

At the hospital I'm hooked up to things and bled, then left in the room in the ER for several hours alone. I try to sleep as I'm exhausted from the ordeal. After several hours had passed the doctor appeared and gave me a brief going over and mostly talked to me about what had occurred earlier in the morning. He tells me it was "Atypical Angina" and perhaps "Acute Angina" as well. The tests indicated no enzyme in the system that would indicate a heart attack. I smiled and said that it sure didn't feel cute or typical to me and scared the hell outta me. Then he says he's releasing me and that I could go home. That was it. Adios amigo, you're outta here. Like saying; Hey old man, you don't have fancy insurance so get lost. We ain't gonna make any money off of ya.

So now it's near 9AM and I'm out on the curb outside the hospital 9 miles from home and afoot. I'm so tired that I'm falling asleep in the morning sun and so drained of energy. I went out to the park-like landscaped area of the property and sat down under a tree and nodded off. I managed to find my cell phone and called Bill and told him of what had transpired. He later came and picked me up and took me home. Bill, opened the gate and drove me to my door unlike the EMT's that waited at the road for me. My dogs were overjoyed to see me and went totally nuts when I got out of Bill's truck. I gave them all a big hug and told Hanna that it was OK now that papa was back and she could stand down from guard.

So in the future when this happens again, and it will, I'll forget the call to 911. They couldn't find me anyway. I won't bother the people in the ER either as they're too busy to worry about an old man that has only VA health care. Besides, the VA usually denies all claims made by a private hospital saying that the patient should have gone to a VA hospital ER in the first place. Even if the nearest VA hospital is over 90 miles away and the local hospital is 9 miles. The catch 22 here is that the ambulance people will not transport me to Dallas VA as it's too far for them to go. I'll be billed for this trip to the local hospital, you can count on it!

No next time this happens, I'll take my nitro and chew up an aspirin and try to ride it out like I've done in the past. If it looks like its the end, then I'll go outside and sit with my dogs and die with them. I believe I'll be in better hands (paws) that at the hospital. They don't care if I don't have super health insurance or not, my dogs just care about me. I just hope that someone will take good care of them and my cats when I'm gone.

alans sg and Alex_SG like this.
  2. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Man, another close one!

Anyway I'm grateful that you made it through.

Alex_SG likes this.
  3. Heket

Heket Well-Known Member

You cannot imagine how glad I am you are still here. In addition to that I'm also very grateful for the healthcare system we have here in the UK, because it sounds like yours sucks.

I'm glad to hear it wasn't a full blown heart attack - they would have been checking for Troponin T in your blood, a test that should have been done at least twice - but that probably doesn't reassure you all that much. Sounds like a horrible thing to have to go through :( I'm glad Bill was there to bring you home again.

Rest up, old bro. At least computers don't hate you so much as to deprive you (and us) of your forum presence, so keep us in the loop!

Alex_SG likes this.
  4. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

Wow, Wade.

Just...wow.

5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Wow Wade. Sorry you had such a rough time getting medical care. A couple years ago my wife had to call 911 when in the middle of the night I had an ulcer, I didn't know I had, decided to blow a gasket. I had very good care, from the EMTs to the ER... to ICU... etc.

Really happy in spite of the "excellent" care you came thru it ok.

6. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

What an ordeal, but I'm glad you're OK. There's nothing like getting an ambulance bill in the mail, then being told what you should have done to avoid the bill -- while you were in an ambulance.

7. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you're still here with us Wade. What the heck happened to that Hippocrates guy and his oath? Best of luck to you and I hope you are sticking around this crazy place for a long time yet!

milesdeem likes this.
  8. ghostwolf

ghostwolf Well-Known Member

Strength and love sent your way.

milesdeem likes this.
  9. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Very sorry to hear this Wade.
    Health care in this country has totally gone to sh** ....unless as you say you have some of that high dollar insurance.....then they welcome you in with open arms and start up the bill machine....or is that a money making machine??? Oh man sorry don't get me started pathetic the way this country treats our Vets. AND retired public servants ...wow.

Good vibes and positive health waves chugging yer way Wade. Hang in there.

10. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Well-Known Member

Wade you have got to be one tough son of a gun.

Personally I think us Vets should get the best health care possible, and for free. Given the sacrifices we've made for our country, its the least they could do. The very least.

To hell with that ambulance bill.

Jason

Kris Ford and eS.G. like this.
  11. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

I'm with Bullfrog!!! Wade, so sorry for crappy 911 n hospital. U deserve way better.

eS.G. likes this.
  12. Tobacco Worm

Thanks folks, means a lot that ya'll are worried about this old coot. I recall the last incident I had and I drove to the hospital and walked in drenched in sweat and gasping for air. That was my second heart attack I had. The doc and nurses were amazed that I drove 9 miles to the hospital in cardiac arrest. I smiled and said "Rangers aren't allowed to die without permission.":naughty:

But Bill, and his brother-in-law, Allen, were both outraged about what took place. They both live across the road, but at 2 AM I figured I needed medical assistance first and transportation second. So I didn't call them. Allen said later, that if this happens again and I don't call him that he'll be all kinds of upset as he worries about me all the time. His attitude is that he looks upon me as a father figure of sorts and would feel like crap if he ever let me down. So maybe next time if I can't take care of it myself, I will call Allen instead. I mean he KNOWS where I live!:laugh2:

I'm scheduled to see the cardiac unit at the Dallas VA on the 30th for a stress test that my doc had ordered last week. This morning was stressful enough I thought. Allen and his wife are gonna take me to the VA that day and keep an eye on me. I can't drive to Dallas anymore as my old rez-rocket car is questionable and my ability to deal with heavy traffic now is too. We'll see how it goes.....

Today I slept for hours and only came on the net for a chat here with my extended family about the events earlier. Then I went back to bed and slept some more. Got up around 4 PM when Bill called to check on me. I'm tired and worn out but still here. Yeah, I don't get scared real easy, but this one this morning did shake me up. I could just see me on the floor croaked out and being found a few days later stinking up the place! P. U.!:squint:

Moose, SG John and Alex_SG like this.
  13. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you have Bill and Allen at least close enough to help with the Doc trip, check in on ya.......and MAYBE occasionally talk some sense into ya!:):wow:
    Sorry not gonna cut ya any slack just cause ya had an "incident" ........well maybe a little. :thumb:

Glad you where able to get a little rest. Still sending those vibes weather ya want em or not. :dude::wave:

14. Tobacco Worm

Thanks! Maybe send a bottle of Scotch too, as I think I'm gonna take up drinking so I can go out totally wasted.... Not! :laugh2:
    Yeah those two guys said that if I croak on 'em that they're gonna kick my ass. I told 'em that's the only way that they could!:rofl: They're a pair, but they do try to look out for me as we're all aware I'm known to be a might hard headed?? :dunno:

Alex_SG likes this.
  15. Westernrider

Westernrider Active Member

Really hope your VA aint like the VA hospital up north in Memphis Tn. Thar, the emergency room is a walk in clinic [ folks that come in via ambulance get head of line ] for folks with any problem tha usually can be handled by a PA during regular office hours. Should you ask about wait times - your are screwed if you have an emergency.

Met a older Vet that went in for a stroke. After being seem by the triage nurse, he was put in a bed. About 5 hours later, the nurse came by to see if he was still alive. She apologized because the doctor hadn't some to see him yet.

He got up and walked out of the hospital. He went about 1 block to the next hospital and said he had a stroke. These folks immediately went to work on him. Good ending to his story.

Best wishes.

Alex_SG likes this.
  16. milesdeem

milesdeem Well-Known Member

And I worry about my roomy as well....type-2 diabetic, favorite fruit is pork/pork fat, favorite soda is Oberon beer.....but you just can't kill him.....damn barrel chested Scotsman anyway LOL

Kris Ford likes this.
  17. Alex_SG

Alex_SG Well-Known Member

Wade big bro... What can I say? Don't you dare die without permission!
    Seriously though, I am glad you pulled through. PM you tonight bro.
    Take care
    Alex.

18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Gettin' old ain't for sissies! Hang in there, Wade.
    ;>)/

19. tpa

tpa Active Member

Pleased you made it again. A saying goes that if you want to live you have to stay away from health care system. An apple a day will keep the doctor away - if you hit him good. Same horrible state of the emergency services where I live.

20. Kris Ford

Kris Ford Well-Known Member

Damn Wade, what an GD ordeal..hang tough brother, it ain't your time yet.:thumb: