"New" 2019 SG Introduced

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by NMA, Jan 21, 2019.

1. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

NAMM 2019 has revealed this "new" SG from Gibson. A 1961 reissue with the Maestro.

Cool to see that Gibson is going backwards to go forward, but I have a question for you SG historians: was this guitar ever reissued by Gibson in the past? Also, I know George Harrison had a '64 model....what differences would there be?

[​IMG]

DanB likes this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Looks like an SG Original.

I have never seen a Maestro on a 1961 SG Standard before. They had the Sideways Vibrola. Maestro was not issued until 1963.

The crown inlay is also located at the incorrect position for a 1961 SG Standard or SG ‘61 Reissue.

michaelinokc, bwotw and arcticsg like this.
  3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

The crown thing is curious but a non-issue from a functional standpoint. But it does look like they are issuing two versions of this guitar, one with the sideways and this one with the Lyre:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/namm-2019-gibsons-epic-new-23-strong-guitar-line-up-revealed

These look like strong contenders to me, and the Les Paul Standard '60's seems to be the guitar I have wanted Gibson to offer for many years. Things seem to be looking up.

4. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Hmmm, just noticed they are listing a Thunderbird but no Firebird?

5. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Whoa! That Sg Junior is proper!! Good for Gibson. This is exactly what they needed to do!

6. cerebral gasket

7. gball

gball Well-Known Member

bwotw and cerebral gasket like this.
  8. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The main difference is that after '61 the SG had no distinct tone. :smile:

Didn't we discuss this already? They also have a '61 with a sideways Vibrola, but the crown inlay position will still raise a question or two!

[​IMG]

PermissionToLand and fuzbuzz78 like this.
  9. cerebral gasket

Yeah, I saw both versions. I think they all look great and just wish they would quit using the 61 designation on everything that isn’t.

SG standard and arcticsg like this.
  10. cerebral gasket

I dunno either and it doesn’t bother me either way where it’s located especially since my favorite SG are the Classics and Specials which have no crowns.

I also have no preference of ABR-1 vs Nashville or what kind of bevels and will always play whatever comes with the guitar.

Most of my posts about details not being historically correct are just observations and not intended to piss anyone off. I just happen to notice details and like to nerd out about guitars.

11. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

I noticed Gibby's website now lists the HPs, but the 2019 Standard ...umm "standard standard or not '61?" is gone.

They are having fun, lol

cerebral gasket likes this.
  12. Paul G.

Paul G. Well-Known Member

Good thing I'm on fixed income and am no longer buying guitars. There's like a dozen I'd like to wrap up and take home.

Jebuscrebus and fos1 like this.
  13. fos1

fos1 Member

The SGs are beautiful! I may have to drive to Lawrence and visit Mass Street Music in a month or so. Maybe if I put off full retirement for a few months I can get one???

DanB likes this.
  14. Stark Naked

Stark Naked Member

If I may inquire? Where exactly is Mass Street Music?

15. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Beautiful SG but the Vibrola is not for me.

16. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Wow! So you can get an excellent guitar with a crap vibrola! I'm not sure why it is considered a cool look to have this really crap gizmo on a new guitar. I guess the useless dead weight does reduce the possiblity of head dive. And, you're always ready to twang right into "Cortez the Killer," Neil Young out-of-tune style.

17. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Or if you don’t like it, just get the stop tail version. Maybe some people like the maestro versions.

18. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

I understand that some people like them. What I don't understand is why. It seems that most say that they like the look. I don't understand that either, probably because my own perspective is based on what functions mechanically and works musically, and the Maestro does neither. Some people claim that having strings anchored in a trem, as on a Strat, has a feel and sound that is distinctive, and that I DO understand. However, you never hear that about Maestros.

Col Mustard likes this.
  19. ScratchyPot

ScratchyPot New Member

I like them.

I have owned several SGs with Maestros (and my current SG has one istalled); they work fine as long as you have a well-cut nut and saddles and you keep both lubed. It also helps to make sure new strings are stretched out a bit before you go crazy with the vibrola.

They are best used for a subtle shimmering effect, not dive-bombing or other extreme stuff (though you can do some of this if you are experienced and the guitar is properly set up).

The sound and feel is absolutely different from playing a Gibson with a stop tail.

arcticsg likes this.
  20. cerebral gasket

Personally, I am not a fan of vibrato or tremelo bridge systems on my own guitars, but if other folks prefer them on their guitars, then that is their own choice. I don't try to understand why they favor them. It's a great thing that we have choices with different gear. There are no right or wrong choices with gear, just different.

My favorite type of bridge is the Wraparound Bridge because of it's simplicity. I have guitars with Wraparound, Nashville, ABR-1 bridges. I can switch between those guitars with different bridges without any fuss over it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Daniel.S likes this.