New Amp Day !

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by DrBGood, Apr 2, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

The amp has been delivered by bus from 650km away. It arrived to destination well packed by a good friend who fetched it for me.

I've had a Boss Katana 100 1X12 for exactly a year now and couldn't find my tone with it. I put in an external speaker out to use my 2X12 cab with it, and still can't get no satisfaction, 'cause I try and I try and I try and I try.

But this baby ! A hard to find 2001 Vox Valvetronix AD60VT, almost mint. Right off the spot, I can dial tones that please my ear. It's rich, gutsy, mellow, articulate, full and it looks the part 100%. I only played it for half an hour yet, bypassing all presets and I like it ... a lot.

It is WYSIWYG, no fussy program to download and deal with. Everything is out on the open. And all I need is there.

AD60VT Top panel.jpg

AD60VT top controls.jpg

AD60VT Rear panel.jpg

AD60VT back controls.jpg
    This one and the AD120VT were the first of the Valvetronics series and I read that they were targeting professional musicians. Following versions were toned down for mass marketing.

VOX AD60VT.jpg

Boss Katana 100 is for sale :cool:

2. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

That's still too many knobs. Good lord.

May you make it sing, all the same, brotha.

DrBGood likes this.
  3. DrBGood

:rofl: Don't have to use them all.

Before this one I had two AD30VT, two AD50VT, one VT40+ and a Tonelab EX. So I'm pretty efficient with Vox's layout.

4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new amp!

I used to have a Vox Tonelab LE in the past and it worked well for recording purposes into a DAW.

IMO there’s no such thing as having too many knobs. I would rather have the option of many different sounds to choose from as opposed to having a one-trick pony. Once I dial in a sound that I am happy with, I set it and forget it and concentrate on playing.

DrBGood likes this.
  5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Well-Known Member

In theory I completely agree with you ... it's just that overchoice is a pretty weak spot for me, I'd just get lost in that stuff with my fingers on knobs instead of strings. :)

cerebral gasket likes this.
  6. DrBGood

I can easily get used to see all these knobs and only use the ones I want. But I won't get used to have to go on a computer to adjust something in my guitar amp 2 meters away, then I lose it.

On the Vox. you have your usual volumes, gain, EQ, presence and reverb. Then one knob for amp types (this is where the fun is) and only three more to replace a plethora of pedals on a floor board.

7. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Congrats on your new amp! Will you get rid of your Katana now?

I am not familiar with the older Valvetronix amps. But from what I see here, this might just be the best control layout I've ever seen on a modelling amp. The problem I have with most modelling amps is that they don't have enough knobs and buttons! They are packed full with features but these are only accessible via software and you don't really see what your current settings are on the control panel. The AD60VT in contrast has multiple and different knobs for different types of effects and labeled LEDs to show which effects are enabled. Perfect!

You really seem to like the Vox Valvetronix series. Maybe this time you just keep the amp instead of selling it again :lol:

Lunacy the Faded, Dale and Clifdawg like this.
  8. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Nice score!

I agree with Worblehat - the Valvetronix series has some of the best control layouts of any amp series. One of the problems I have with the Katana series is it's stupidly limited top panel. It just seems like poor design for an amp that boasts dozens of class-leading digital models of Boss's legendary effects. Vox has absolutely gotten everyone else beat in this respect.

I still want to play one of those AV amps if I ever find one in the flesh...

Worblehat and DrBGood like this.
  9. DrBGood

Thanks
    This is the one I had been waiting for without knowing. [​IMG] It's the keeper. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2019
    Lunacy the Faded and Worblehat like this.
  10. DrBGood

One thing I didn't share, is that it stunk whatever $0.50 a gallon perfume his wife was using (or was it Febreze ?). As bad as cigarette smoke. So it spent 24h in a sealed bag with vinegar in a pan. Then 24 more outside in the windy freeze. There's presently a fan on the top port to force air to circulate inside the chassis. It is now where only the grille still smell, but only up close.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  11. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

Nice! Sorry to hear about the smell.

DrBGood likes this.
  12. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

Thats awesome I didnt know the 60 and 120 were the first ones out, my first was an AD30VT and it was great for a long time I kept that as an open back. The next VOX I got was the AD100VT which had one blown speaker I didnt know about until I sold it. I bought the speaker back. Now I have a personally modified VOX VT20+

20190405_140041.jpg

13. DrBGood

:rofl: I think I bought my Katana from your brother.

À vendre.jpg