New amp suggestion

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Sgj1985, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

I'm looking to upgrade my current amp, I have a Peavy Envoy 110 which has the transtube technology to play with my 2014 Gibson SGJ. Lookin for a price range of around 400$, playing mostly AC/DC, Metallica. Most important factor would be sound quality/tones. I don't need something loud since it will be pretty much only playing in the living room and not planning to play in a band with it. I was looking at mircro terror or marshall dsl1cr but would be open to any suggestions in modeling amp too.

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Shoot lots of good choices. Yeah I am also thinking about Marshall DSL1 or DSLX ... tons of good reviews.

Lots of good AC/DC Metallica vibe with the Boss Katana or Boss Nextone series.

I have a Boss Katana Air extremely flexible practice amp portable goes from quiet to pretty dang loud ( 20 watts on battery / 30 on AC ). It's 400 bucks check out some of the reviews on it.

I am thinking seriously about getting a Boss Katana Artist ( 1 watt / 50 / 100 selectable ) which is way above your price point but the Boss Katana 50 is worth thinking about also or Boss Nextone 40 ( which is 100 above what you noted ).

For me the Katana Air stays upstairs but bigger unit for basement and ( possible jamming out of the house ).

Check out all the nice things our plankton is posting about Nextone Stage ( the 40 watt model ).

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Option 1: Drop an Eminence Ragin' Cajun speaker in the Envoy for about 80 bucks and let her rip.

Option 2: Sell the Envoy, buy a used Peavey Bandit for ~200 bucks and THEN drop an Eminence Texas Heat for ~100 bucks and you have a rig that can dropkick anything else in it's price range, whether you play country or doom metal.

Seriously, there's not much better you can do than a Peavey transtube amp at the budget you're looking at.

I scored a heck of a deal at 400 bucks for a new Marshall DSL40C, which I think is better, but also badly needed a speaker swap as well. Be on the lookout for Blackstar HT amps too, these occasionally get blown out at insanely good prices, and a used HT5 can be had (and shipped!) below your budget all day long on Reverb or Guitar Center. And if you don't mind having very little headroom, the Blackstar HT1R head and 1x12 cabinet for 450 dollars is an absolute riot. The Marshall DSL1CR is a great and fun amp, but it's still a tiny 1x8 and doesn't have the low end punch and openness of a larger 10" or 12" speaker.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I second the Katana 50 option. You'll get the tones you're looking for at low volume levels. Another one of my favorites is the Fender Super Champ XD or the newer X2. THe mustangs are cool too.

Don't be afraid to go for used gear on amps. You get a lot of mojo for your money.

5. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If quality sound is most important then I think you're on the right track looking at low power tube amps. Modelling amps are great and offer lots of versatility, but if you only need a few sounds then tubes still sound better, especially in your price range. Just be aware that a 1w tube amp can still be pretty loud, so if you need to be on the quieter side they may not be for you.

One amp I will recommend, although I don't know if they're available in your area or what the local price would be, is a Laney Cub 12R. I have one and it's an amazing little amp. Great sound, good range of gain (but very little clean) and switchable from 15w to <1w.

Best advice I can give is get out and try every amp you can that interests you. Personal experience is really the only way to really know if you've found the right amp for you.

Ray likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Micro Terrors are supercool!

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Micro Terrors are supercool, but ... if you want to get in Metallica territory, even AC/DC, you'll have to crank it. You will thus need pedals (plural here) to get different tones, because that amp is pretty much a one trick pony. Supercool, but not that versatile. And so are most low wattage tube amps.

Most small solid state amps don't rely on the speaker breaking up to get their tone, that's not how they were designed.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Speaking of tiny terror ...

This amp is eeeeeeeeevil ...
    IMG_20181218_224348.jpg
    70's Fender Mini-Twin!
    It sounds frantic!!!

9. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

Thank you for all the replies, I made a little bit more research based on some of the response and I think I will increase my budget a little and look at the boss nextone or a 1 watt amp head with a 1x12 cab. Any sugestion on a cab. I dont want to sell the peavy because my daughter will start using it to learn to play.

Clifdawg likes this.
  10. Clifdawg

Blackstar HT1RH w/ 1x12 cab is a really solid and great-sounding pair. Cab is very well-matched to the head. Only four knobs and a clean/OD button, but there's a lot of versatility here.

[​IMG]

11. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

I saw that one but I cant find it in Canada.

Clifdawg likes this.
  12. Clifdawg

For a solid 1x12 cab, you could ship in a Harley Benton G112 Vintage from Thomann. Real Celestion Vintage 30-loaded cab for 129€. Shipping to Canada is a flat fee of 50€. That works out to $274.84 CAD, which isn't a bad price for a V30-loaded cab.

I dunno how much a head is going to cost, but I'm assuming given current exchange rates you're looking at +25% to current USD pricing, meaning a Marshall DSL1HR would be $375 CAD...

You're looking at 650 CAD all in for that rig, but it will be *awesome.*

13. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

I will definitively look at that option, thanks

14. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the reviews of the nextone stage plankton has been pretty happy so far?

There's someone in member classifieds selling a Boss Katana 100 with footpedals for 325 USD shipped.

Yeah I dunno exactly what I am going to do but for me at this point it seems like a Marshall DSL series or one of the Boss options ( probably more likely ).

If you are not in a huge hurry I would recommend sitting it out until after NAMM 2019 in January there will be a sorting out of new things announced / shipping dates / and a re-ordering to some extent of the best choices. I am guessing Marshall will also have some things rolling out.

But I already have a Katana Air. It's pretty awesome for a small portable practice amp. If I did not already have that one in my stable I would say take a serious look at that one first?

So many good choices yikes!

15. fuzbuzz78

fuzbuzz78 Member

Orange micro terror with a 1x12 cabinet. In your budget and they SHRED

fos1 likes this.
  16. ungarn

ungarn Member

If tone trumps budget, for acdc to Metallica look for Marshall mini jubilee and a maxon od808.

17. Wildeman

Wildeman Active Member

Nice. Yeah speaking of Blackstar, i have a little ID Core 10 that sounds killer. Real stereo tone and lots of options.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
  18. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Active Member

Used is a good idea -- way, way more value for money. If you want a straight up great small amp, I recommend the Fender Pro Junior, but you'll need pedals if you want certain tones since the control set is... 2 knobs. The PJ rules as the serious small amp -- Jeff Beck has toured with his. I have one of the first ones, modded over the years, and it is incredible. (Some are noisy, and some of the models over the years have been meh, sorry to say.) But as a straight-up, no compromises amp, it's widely loved among players. One of the big questions when "going small" is deciding if you want amp OD or pedal/processor OD. Two different worlds.

19. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

I ended up buying a demo ht1r combo for less than the ht1r head, then I can still play with it right away and save to buy a better cabinet in the future. Thanks for all your sugestions.

20. Sgj1985

Sgj1985 New Member

Can't do the dsl1hr with the harley benton g112 vintage, the cab is 8 ohm and the amp is 16 ohm only.