New Boss Amps

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Nov 15, 2018.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Clifdawg likes this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Sounds great.

When will they come up with finger transplants ? I would take 4 left ones please.

3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

I'm interested, but if I squint I see a whole lotta Blues Cube in these. I'm wondering if this is part of Roland's plan to rebrand their amp line as Boss and we'll see the Cube line phase out. I'll have to hear one for myself. EDIT: I should also say that the Katana greatly improved on the Cube series, so maybe these will likewise be a significant improvement over the Blues Cube series.

Now if we could get a Boss-branded JC-120 with a more robust high-gain channel... :naughty:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  4. plankton

You know, I think you're right. I had heard about the Blues Cube but didn't know much about them, just assumed they were an extension of the normal Cube line. Now that I've looked into the BC I can see the similarities.

These Nextones seem like the evolution of those Blues Cubes, which had the little tube-like things that would change the tonality of the amp. Looks like they've embedded that idea into these new amps with the switchable tube responses.

I've been thinking about a Katana but really wouldn't use many of the features. I really like the Yamaha THR head with it's tonal versatility but simple controls, although it's a bit more than what I need currently and pricey too. The Nextone seems like it will tick many boxes for me, simple control layout, switchable tonal responses and affordable, plus the inbuilt effects are the only ones I'd ever need as part of an amp (boost, delay, tremolo and reverb).

Of course I'll need to have a play to decide, but a few Australian shops are already showing them in stock and one of my locals said they'd have them in a couple weeks.

5. Clifdawg

Judging by the few demos that have gone up yesterday, I think you're spot on. They do seem to have a bit more gain, which is something I think the Blues Cube desperately needed more of. They look and sound (from the demos) pretty good, though.

I still think that, like the Blues Cube, $500 and $700 USD for low-wattage SS amps is pricing itself out of the market a bit. $400 and $600 might have been a more convincing price point, at least for me.

I think if it were my money, I'd rather spring for the Katana head and a nice 2x12 cab, but that's just me. :thumb:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  6. plankton

This is the best video I've seen so far, they go through a fair bit of the options available on both the amp panel and with the editor software.

7. plankton

One thing that would make these fit the bill even more for me is if you could assign different power tube emulations to the clean and lead channels. I would really like to be able to go from 6V6 clean to EL34 lead at the stomp of a switch. Lots of other possibly great combinations too.

I downloaded the editor software and it seems like this is possible when using custom mode. :dude:

Can't wait to try one of these and a/b it next to a Katana 100.

8. Clifdawg

Watching some of these demos and... I gotta be honest, I'd like to try one.

I love my DSL40C to death, but if one of these is actually better, I suspect I can get almost 100% of my money back out on it if i like these better. The built-in delay and tremolo and the compatibility with the GA-FC is a big selling point.

9. plankton

The GA-FC footswitch looks really handy for this amp. It's setup to do everything I would want and nothing I don't. Engage the bright/fat settings, control the delay/tremolo, bring the FX loop in and out and of course switch channels. You can also plug in an expression pedal for use as a volume pedal and add a tap tempo switch for the delay/trem.

But I reckon the boost is the best part, especially when you can set the parameters with the software and then just stomp on the switch. There's a few different style boosts and you can adjust the levels for whatever your needs might be. Other amps I've looked at like the HT-40 have a footswitchable boost, but there no way to tweak it.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
  10. plankton

Another good video from the folks at Sweetwater.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Had the privilege of hearing one in the flesh this weekend...

:shock: Colour me impressed! Not heard a blues cube, but these are Katanas on steroids :D

BFCF1771-2EB2-44D9-B0C4-52E608F5F077.jpeg

44167444-3B0F-4AAA-9042-AAA2447975F1.jpeg

Needless to say, I’m seriously considering thinning out the collection and slapping down a deposit on the Stage version :thumb:

Bob

Logan, plankton and Clifdawg like this.
  12. plankton

I played the Artist 80w for about twenty minutes today and really liked what I got from it. The base tones are there for me as is the tube amp-like response. I fed my Tonebender MkII through it set a bit dirty and got exactly what I wanted. Turned it all the way up for a bit and it's really loud. As soon as they get the 40w Stage in it's coming home with me.

Scootermuppet likes this.
  13. plankton

I was able to pick the Nextone out every time, as good as it sounds it's still got that solid-state thing going on. Tube amps are just, different.

fos1 likes this.
  14. plankton

A decent, seemingly unbiased review. I have had similar experiences with turning the amp's gain up and also trying to run some fuzz pedals into it, feels like it's just overloading things and either goes boxy or fizzy. It needs some breaking in time, but it seems the weak link in this amp may be the speaker. At one point this guy runs it through a 4x12 loaded with greenbacks and the difference is substantial.

fos1 likes this.