New Boss Amps

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by plankton, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Bingo. The K100 has such an improved speaker over the 50 that it almost makes the 50 unnecessary. I felt like whatever was in the Nextone stage sounded very similar to the K50. I wonder if the Nextone Artist fares better, but given it's price and the way I felt about the Stage... I'd be hard to convince that this was the way to go over the Katana 100 or any of the tube amps that are within that hotly-contested price range.

2. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I mentioned in my NAD post about the Nextone Stage, I think people are going to either love or hate this amp, but I might refine that to say I think there will be Katana people and there will be Nextone people and not many who like both. For me the Nextone fits better into what I want.

I agree, neither of these amps is going to replace a good tube amp in terms of sound. My little Laney Cub 12R, which actually cost less than the Nextone, still sounds better, but it's only got one sound really. The Nextone trumps it in versatility.

I also agree that the weak point in these amps is the speaker, which could be said for many sub $1000 combos IMO. I will say the speaker in the Stage is sounding better everyday, but I'm sure an upgrade would improve the amp a lot.

Out of curiosity, what did you put in you K50 gball?

I was under the impression that all the "regular" Katanas had the same speaker, with only the Artist having the nicer one. Can you clarify that for me Clifdawg?

I would never have bought the NT Artist either, as you said, at it's price point there are better options.

3. Clifdawg

@plankton Boss doesn't give much in the way of specs regarding the Katana 50 or Katana 100 speakers, listing them identically in the specs simply as "30 cm (12 inches) x 1." In reality, though, there's a significant difference in magnet size between the two:

The Katana 50:
    [​IMG]
    And the Katana 100:
    [​IMG]

I suspect the difference isn't a tonal choice. The 100's speaker would probably barely clear the chassis of the 50 (although it certainly might), and the 50's speaker almost certainly would have lower wattage handling and therefore be cheaper to produce (e.g. smaller magnet), not to mention lighter (befitting the 50's extremely portable size). I'm assuming many attributes are similar, if not identical, between the two - paper composition, cone shape, chassis, etc. But a larger magnet can certainly alter the tonality of a speaker.

Both of the speakers appear to be very well-constructed and of a high quality, and Boss claims that they're modeled after greenbacks. I'm sure an inexpensive greenback clone with 100 watts of handling would sell like hotcakes.

FWIW, it appears that the Katana 100 2x12 combo and the Katana 2x12 cabinet use the larger speakers from the 100. The cabinet is labeled as 150 watts at 8 ohms, but I'm guessing that the actual handling is more based on the looks of the speakers, since the 100's speaker seems to handle all of the Katana's output without breaking a sweat (unless, of course, the actual output of the Katana 100 is less than 100 watts, so as to avoid reaching it's 5% power amp distortion threshold for wattage rating).

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    plankton likes this.
  4. plankton

Well spotted on the different magnets! Boss certainly doesn't let on that there's any differences between the amps in that regard, but it makes sense. I'd be willing to bet that the NT Stage has the same speaker as the K50 and the Artist is the same as the K100. The speaker for the Stage is certainly stuffed in there, I might flip it over and get a photo to add to this thread. As I said, it's sounding better everyday, but I would be interested to hear what gball put in his K50 as I may upgrade someday if it's going to vastly improve the amp. Thanks for all the great discussion!

5. plankton

Actually, why take photos when Boss has already done it for me.

The Stage:

nextone_stage_back_gal.jpg

and the Artist:

nextone_artist_back_gal.jpg

They actually look the same, and they're clearly labelled the same. Possibly the same speaker as the K100?

DrBGood likes this.
  6. Clifdawg

That's interesting, you're right. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same speaker as what's in the K100. I'd really like to try an Artist out now just to see if I can tell a difference in the low-end punchiness between the two... If so, then it may be related to the cab more than the speaker. Also, I concede that it's entirely possible that I'm a dork and am hearing more of a difference between the K50 and the K100 :rofl:(although, to be fair, I heard a difference before I noticed the speaker magnets were different).

7. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I think the cab is mainly responsible for low-end punchiness. By closing the back on my 100W, it greatly enhanced that THUMP factor. I'm sure if someone was to build a pine cab for it, it would be even better.

Hmmm ... a pine cab ... would look nice wouldn't it ?

8. Clifdawg

Maybe so. I wonder if closing up a K50 would fix my complaints with it.

Do it, my friend! I bet a 100 in a solid pine can would sound - and look - amazing!

DrBGood likes this.
  9. DrBGood

I bet it would.

100% Fermé.JPG

fos1 and Clifdawg like this.
  10. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I put a WGS ET-65 in it. It's a good speaker for an open-back enclosure (low end is full and tight) and works well with distortion.

11. plankton

I'm completely ignorant of the interaction between speakers and cabs. Does closing the back of a cab always increase the low end thump, or is it dependent on other things too? Any good articles out there so I could learn a bit?

Thanks gball. I'm not sure if I will eventually replace the speaker in my Nextone, but if I do it needs to be something that will work well with the different power amp flavours and also fit in the tight space. I almost always have some sort of dirt in my tone, from mild breakup tweed to Big Muff wooliness, but never really high gain distortion.

12. Clifdawg

I'm not totally read up on the subject, but my understanding is an open back is useful for increasing the spread of the sound (as much of the bass is projected out of the open back), and putting an open back close to a large wall or otherwise flat object on stage can effectively make the sound "bigger." But closing a back makes the sound more full and bassy directly in front of the speaker, especially in small rooms and at lower volumes.

Many speaker manufacturers and experienced players will actually recommend certain speakers be used in certain applications. I know Eminence will, and I know that, apparently, the inexpensive Celestion Seventy 80 speaker I hated in my semi-open Marshall is great in a closed back cab, and even better in a 2x12 configuration. I'd love to try that sometime.

plankton likes this.
  13. DrBGood

I am sure there is a lot of science behind it, but experiment is the best way for me. Start with resting the back of the amp against a door of furniture, you'll hear it right away.

You always can Google, guitar cab open VS closed : https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=guitar+cab+open+VS+closed

plankton likes this.
  14. DrBGood

I can vouch for that, and I'll add that the smaller the cab, the tighter that speaker sounds. This one is not totally closed, it's got "vents" on top to let it breathe ... in theory ... well, my theory ...

Cab 1X12.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    fos1 likes this.