New Build, but not an SG...sorry guys, but...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SG John, Jul 13, 2012.

1. tolm

tolm Active Member

Hell yeah! That looks awesome - love myself a Bigsby, I do - and it's gonna kick in that antique cherry/brown stain finish. :thumb:

2. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

I'm at the point where I'm happy with the neck and body. I've applied the first coat of the dark cherry dye. I'll sand this back in a few hours, then apply another coat. Around midnight, I should be able to sand that coat back, then glue the neck on. I hope to be adding pore filler in the morning.

[​IMG]

3. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

looking really sharp!

4. SG John

Over the weekend, I did get the neck glued on. Here's a shot of it with the cherry stain sanded back, and the clamps on it.

[​IMG]

After the glue had set, I was playing around with it trying to imagine it's feel. I decided that I did not like the Gretsch style heel and the neck felt a bit too round. So, I spent the past two nights sanding down the heel, and making the neck a tad slimmer. I'll be doing all the finish sanding and pore filling Saturday. Hopefully spraying sanding sealer on Sunday.

[​IMG]

5. SG John

Hello again. I managed to get a bit more done this week. I was hoping to spray sanding sealer today, but it's started raining as the hurricane is getting ready to move in.

As I digress, I did manage to spend a lot of time sanding yesterday. I had read about classical guitar builders using egg whites as a pore filler. The protein in the eggs mixed with sawdustfills everything nicely, and it really does leave a glass like finish. The process hass been being used by fine wood workers for over four hundred years, and I couldn't imagine using any other method now. It's only drawback is that more time is required. Since this is for my own enjoyment, and not a buisiness, I'm happy to invest time over nasty chemicals. Here's a shot of it all wet with egg whites and sawdust.

[​IMG]

Then last night I managed to get two coats of vintage dark cherry dye on the mahogany. Since I won't be spraying today, I'll spend a little more time on this, and make sure that the color is consistant.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy, and have a good week. It'll probably be the weekend before I have anymore updates.

:wave:

6. SG John

She's red!. Sprayed two coats of transparent cherry today. Next weekend, I'll start spraying clear coats.

[​IMG]

I was going to spray the headstock black, but thought the grain of the mahogany was too nice to hide. If I don't like it, it can always be black later.

[​IMG]

7. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Looking nice John.

8. SG John

Even though I'm sick as hell, I managed to scrape the binding this morning, and get five coats of Clear Gloss lacquer on the guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. peter taft

peter taft Member

It's not my kind of thing... but i love to see a craftsman at work ! You are creating a masterpiece - it gladdens the heart to see that these kind of skills are still being used - and that "man" hasnt lost them. Too many skills have been lost over time and what you are achieving is really something special. GOOD ON YOU ! :applause:

10. Jonathan Krogh

Jonathan Krogh New Member

John this build looks great, I am admiring a few techniques that I am terrified of, things like headstock binding, and pore filling! My question is how you bent your binding? I often use w/b/w binding, with epoxy as glue and LOTS of thick rubber bands, your inside curves look very neat, did you use a heatgun to make that smooth bend.

11. SG John

The 90 degree corners at the tail piece and top of the headstock are mitered. I don't think I could have bent them that clean.

What I did on the body was joined a piece of white and black. .020" wide by .06" tall binding with acetone. I suspended the binding in a large glass bottle with a little acetone on the bottom. The fumes softened the abs plastic a little, then I glued them to the body. Then I softened up some white .06" by .375" tall binding and glued that on. The routing on the body was stepped. I also did this in two stages, glueing and taping the two thin strips to the body, then adding the wider strip after the smaller had dried.

Be careful softening binding this way. As I found out, you can soften it too much and leave finger impressions, distortions, and other ugliness. I was lucky, and had a lot of scraping in that one area.

When I first started, I was a bit intimidated since this was my first attempt at binding. I'm a lot more comfortable now, and would just think things through a bit better next time.

Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  12. javamagic

javamagic Well-Known Member

Not long before this one's in action then John?

13. SG John

Not long at all. I'll start wetsanding it in two weeks. It'll probably take the entire week (depending where I'm working) to get everything in order. I'm hoping that three weeks from today will be the initial test drive.

14. SG John

Just a quick update...

I should really slow down to enjoy the smell of the toast burning. Anyway, I managed to spend most of Saturday wet sanding and polishing the guitar. Then I leveled the frets alomg with crowning them, dressing, polishing, etc...

My laundry list was too long Sunday to get much done, but some of the assembly is finished. This weekend, I'll be making the nut, locating the bridge, soldering, blah, blah, blah. I'm on the road for work again this week, so we'll see...

Here's how it's looking. I'll take some nice photos when it's done.

[​IMG]

15. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

Great work John.

Bo Diddley would have loved it.

16. DavidJ

DavidJ Active Member

Looking great John!!! Really great.:):)

Ps I think some gnomes or possibly trolls have taken up residence in your cupboard....... Just a heads up.

17. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

that is some great work. Looking forward to hearing a report of how she plays!!!

18. sgtbeefheart

sgtbeefheart Well-Known Member

It may be the Borrowers waiting for the guitar to be ready to, er, borrow.

19. SG John

They're hedgehogs. We let them stay in the cupboard because we don't have a hedge for them to hog.

20. SG John

Except for strap buttons and control cavity covers, it's all done. Finished her up tonight. Sounds real good, and I'll make adjustments after I've played it a bunch the next couple of weeks.

I'll take better pictures this afternoon. It's Sunday already, and it's late.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]