New cab for old amp!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Bill Moore, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

Dale, Chuteboxehero, Clifdawg and 2 others like this.
  2. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

If you set up the driver to push less it'll do what you want. Or the quick approach , instead of the 68K throw in a 220K, that's across the input jack which will really pad down the input signal. But I'm not really knowledgeable about that circuit and if you don't understand what I proposed, don't touch anything. Ages ago I read a slew of mods you could easily do to that amp to tune it to your needs and taste.

3. HackeIommi

HackeIommi Active Member

I handle this kind of problems with 12AU7 preamp tube in V1. Gives you lots of clean headroom.

4. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

There's a slew of options now that I see your link. Thanks for that it looks like fun to be had. Too bad one can't (?) run the amp still single ended with an EL84 in parallel with a 6V6! I have an old schematic somewhere which I've saved for many moons in case I ever had the chance to build it!

6. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Member

I think it it is single ended with the 6V6 being biased with the 470 ohm on terminal 8, and the EL84 using a 220 ohm on it's #3 pin. (I have considered finding a way to switch B+ to either or both, to get different tones.) I put it away until I built a cab, so didn't really critique it much when I first built it.
    It was a pretty pricey upgrade, one could get close to most of the parts for an 18 watt build for what someone paid for this!

Dale likes this.